John Boehner is the leader of House Republicans. Remember?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 24, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,672
    the reason I left the pub party is that they lack the balls to take on the dems-they worry about what the press is going to say-they worry that it might cost them in the polls-

the dems NEVER compromise-the only way any compromise occurs is when the pubs cave

Boehner sits up there prior to the last election and struts his stuff and then caves-I have zero respect for that

I want leaders who have the balls to vote what is right and not what some poll tells them to do-the pub party is loaded with so called moderates-who are nothing more than dem lights-

again dems NEVER compromise-the word to them means a pub coming their direction

when people ask me I tell them I am a consearvative indy
  2. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +790
    No doubt the GOP is a mess, but that is less on Boehner and more on the effective strategy employed by the Democrats.

Look, it doesn't matter what the GOP sends to the Senate. It will die. It is part of the strategy. In the eyes of the American people congress must be seen to be evil, the GOP is seen to control congress (brilliant ploy by the democrats and the press), therefore the GOP is evil and Obama can do anything he wants to "save" America. Obama owns the judiciary and the press carries his water. These are dark times and the ONLY way we can get our country back to some sort of equilibrium is if the GOP actually does control congress. The coming election is our last chance.

Ten years ago if I told you that I believe wall street is rigged, the government was following my every move and the IRS was out to get me you would have me committed. Not so crazy anymore. It has GOT to stop.
  3. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,889
    What's the moral of the story here, the Dems suck but the Pubs suck more? Pretty much a jump ball.
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,672
    well the moderate pubs suck
  5. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

The IRS is out to get you?

The other two (Wall St & Gov't Surveillance) wouldn't have gotten you committed 10 years ago.

Which by the way began before Obama...

What is the GOP selling that would reverse anything about the last 2 items?
  6. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +790
    This is the evil of what has happened in the press. of course the GOP is concerned about the polls. Without the polls, they will NEVER return to power. And of course the Democrats don't worry about the polls. Right now and for the foreseeable future, they don't have to.

IMHO the GOP is guilty of trying to find some common ground in order to try to actually govern ( what a concept!). What they don't realize is the Democrats don't want to govern, they want to destroy the GOP, control all the power, and THEN govern.

These are very dark times. Is that racist to say? Where is my rule book.........
  7. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,672
    well 996-what are the dems selling that would reverse anything about the last 2 items?
  8. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +790
    With a straight face you are telling me that as far as the IRS is concerned, if you are a conservative organization, you aren't looked at a bit closer? All that has been reported is pure fabrication?

And I absolutely love the new talking point of how things were the same under Bush. So I then can assume if things sucked under Bush, and things are at best the same, then AT BEST Obama sucks as much as Bush? Hmmmmm.......I'll buy that.

If the GOP wins and controls congress - like really controls congress - we might just find out what they are "selling".
  9. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Boehner is a limp Richard! McConnell is just as limp.
  10. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +785
    Boehner would probably disagree with you......

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/42719
  11. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Have you seen the reports about that "scandal" since it first "broke"?

Many, many organizations fell under that same review that were not conservative organizations at all.

That story is about organizations of all types trying to get tax exempt status...

The facts have come out since the first reporting and hence why the "coverage" of that story has basically dried up...

Where are these Obama Bush comparisons you're talking about....I don't know what you're speaking about

As an American citizen, Congress makes law....we shouldn't have to wait until the GOP has control of both houses to get them to do their jobs....ya know, govern.

You're telling me you're giving Boehner a pass on a jobs bill for 8 years because Obama is POTUS & Dems control the Senate?

Tell that logic to the people that are unemployed.
  12. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Irony- Boehner is in minority w/o speakership if not for those he now tells to go to hell.
  13. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Exactly. Boehner, Cantor, every committee chair owes 100% of their majority status to conservative Tea Party turnout. So do Sen. Toomey, Sen. Rubio. So does Gov. Christie -- don't care how corrupt Corsine and NJ Dems are, without the curiousity of the isolated election and Tea Party enthusiasm, he is a non-entity in national politics.

Yet these losers and ingrates show nothing but disdain for the only people who deserve credit for their current power.
  14. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Though truly embarrassing, he just told you with a straight face.
    Incredible.
  15. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://www.npr.org/2013/05/19/185206908/nonconservative-groups-say-irs-scrutinized-them-too
    Nonconservative Groups Say IRS Scrutinized Them, Too
    by Brian Naylor

May 19, 2013 5:41 AM

The IRS was in the hot seat Friday, with its outgoing acting commissioner testifying before a House committee. A Senate panel is scheduled for Tuesday. Congress is prodding to find out why the agency singled out conservative groups for special scrutiny.

Attention has focused on the IRS' flagging of these groups starting in 2010. But some liberal groups and journalism organizations say their applications for tax-exempt status also faced long delays and were closely scrutinized during the same period.

The year 2010 began a busy period for the IRS office in Cincinnati, the home of the tax-exempt determinations unit. That January, the Supreme Court handed down its Citizens United decision, which loosened the rules governing contributions to political causes and candidates. Applications flooded in to the office from groups seeking tax-exempt status, many with a political agenda.

The IRS has admitted it flagged applications from groups with "Tea Party" or "Patriot" in their names. But applications from other groups were closely scrutinized as well.

An Austin, Texas-based progressive group, Progress Texas, was one of them. Its executive director, Ed Espinoza, says it took almost a year and a half for the IRS to review the application from his organization. The process included answering a detailed questionnaire.

"It was nine pages and 21 questions, and inside those 21 questions, there were additional questions," Espinoza says. "So it was fairly extensive, and it was fairly thorough."

In 2010, some 1,700 applications for 501(c)(4) tax-exempt status came into the Cincinnati office. That number nearly doubled by 2012. Yet according to the IRS Inspector General's report, just one person was originally given the task of sifting through the applications deemed politically sensitive. Marcus Owens, a former IRS official, says that's a lot of work for one staffer.

"These were applications that were identified because they were likely to have issues that were complex, which means that they were going to take more time," Owens says. "So it seems like that would be more than one person could easily handle."

Another application that seemingly got caught up in the backlog came from a group of journalists in Chicago. The Chicago News Cooperative provided news for the Midwest edition of The New York Times. The co-op also sought tax-exempt status. Veteran journalist James O'Shea, a former managing editor of The Chicago Tribune, was in charge.

"There were political organizations trying to get these exemptions, and I think the IRS was concerned — and probably appropriately so — that some of these news organizations were really political organizations," he says, "and so they were examining that, and we just got caught up in that."

For more than two years, the Chicago News Cooperative waited for an IRS ruling. But without tax-exempt status, foundation support dried up, and the cooperative went out of business.

Progress Texas did eventually get its tax-exempt status. Espinoza says he has no trouble with the scrutiny his organization underwent.

"Look, if you want a tax exemption, you've got to jump through some hoops," he says. "You need to be able to demonstrate that what you're doing is legitimately a tax-exempt activity, and that's what we saw it as."
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/05/30/report-one-third-of-tax-exempt-groups-scrutinized-by-irs-were-not-conservative

Report: One-Third of Tax-Exempt Groups Scrutinized by IRS Were Not Conservative

By Elizabeth Flock
    May 30, 2013

About one-third of tax-exempt groups scrutinized and approved by the Internal Revenue Service were not conservative, according to a new report by a leading tax economist.

Of the 176 groups granted tax-exempt status whose names were released by the IRS earlier this month, Martin Sullivan, chief economist at Tax Analysts, a non-profit tax news and analysis service, found 46 contained words such as "tea party" or "patriots" in their names, while 76 were other conservative organizations, and 48 were not conservative.

The report comes on the heels of a high-profile apology from the IRS earlier this month for having inappropriately flagging tea party groups for additional reviews.

Among the non-conservative groups Sullivan found the IRS had scrutinized were Progress Missouri Education Fund, a progressive advocacy group, New York Civic Action Inc., a left-leaning voter education group, and ALICE, a legislative policy group meant to counter the right-leaning group ALEC.

"This [analysis] tells you that there certainly were other groups selected. That is, conservatives were not singled out. And that certainly changes the tenor of a lot of commentary that you hear," Sullivan tells Whispers.
  17. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,672
    which means 2/3rds were
  18. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Are you sure 996 is not a student who was taught "new" math or worse..."obama" math? And I would guess it was more like 10/1 conservative vs "progressive" groups who were actually targeted for "closer scrutiny".
  19. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The conservative version of this story was the Obama Administration was doing this for political reasons....

...then why would liberal groups also get additional scrutiny?

In addition, the whole notion that the additional scrutiny was some political persecution is nonsense.

There were organizations that were purely political, had no charitable objectives, trying to gain non-tax status.

The IRS should have been investigating everyone of those groups on your behalf.

The fact that 2/3rds scrutinized were conservative may be a function of more conservative groups applying for that status.

If 33 non conservatives applied and 66 conservatives applied....
    ....and they were all checked...

You would end up with the same splits

Yet everyone would have been checked (no bias)
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    In what ways has the GOP been trying to find some common ground over the last five years?