Jim Allen (R) for Illinois is a total D- bag!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Jun 20, 2013.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +679 / 22 / -4
    I agree. I just value your opinion and was trying to make a greater point. I think there is room for debate as to whether calling someone a minority quota hire is actually "racist" in the true definition of the word. I mean, one can disagree with the concept of AA and not be a racist, correct?
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +846 / 73 / -10
    From what I've read about her, she seems highly educated and fairly knowledgable in her field, so I'm not sure what prompted him to say that.

As for calling someone a "minority quota hire," it seems like a fairly obvious way of implying that someone is incompetent, and only got their position because of their race. Its a statement that's inseperable from race, even if not racist in intent. Seems like a counter productive statement to make about someone if you think AA is bad policy. Most people against AA say that racial discrimination is old news, and things like AA arent needed anymore. But then they make statements like this that sound racist on the surface (especially when lobbed at highly educated and successful people).
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +679 / 22 / -4
    Yeah, I agree. Think that was the alcohol talking. And I can attest from experience that "alcohol talking" rarely if ever ends well (unless she's drunk too :grin:).

My biggest beef with AA is that (IMO) in many cases it creates a resentment (racial in many of those) that would otherwise not exist.
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +846 / 73 / -10
    Well, we often talk about a "culture of entitlement." The resentment you speak of seems more like entitlement to me. Someone else "took" something that they think is rightfully theirs. You've been raised to think you're exceptional, bright, competent etc ... and someone else got the job. It cant be because you arent special, it must be because of a "quota" or PC, etc.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +679 / 22 / -4
    Like anything, it's a two-way street. There is truth in the entitlement attitude you speak of, but there is also truth on the other side. I used to work for an organization (Big Media) that clearly put the Quota ahead of the Qualifications in many, many instances.

One such instance happened to a friend and colleague, who was a minority. He was offered a position that was more or less a promotion of stature (A bigger, better "beat") but initially turned it down because he was in a relationship with someone in the area (the promotion would have required he move about 40 miles away) and was happy in his current situation. He was basically dressed down by our boss and told, in no uncertain terms, "You WILL take this job!."

We talked about it and he knew exactly why our boss was so adamant and was somewhat offended. My response: "Screw it and screw them. Not your problem why they want you to take the job. Take what they give you and never look back."

I wasn't offended he was offered the job. I was actually happy for him. I was offended by the cynical nature of the process. . . as was he.
  6. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +846 / 73 / -10
    People seem to think "the best person" gets the job. I had a friend who got a good job because he had a nautical license & a boat. He had like 0 experience and education in the field. I don't think its necessarily "quotas" in some cases, just that people hire people based on all sorts of non-qualification/education criteria. People have done studies ... being good looking almost automatically boosts your prospects, and lends an air of competency that may not exist. I bet there are some do-gooder types that will hire based on who they think "needs" the job most. I guess like you, none of this ever bothered me, because I've always been cynical about the corporate world.
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +679 / 22 / -4
    With this company, quotas are very important and certain diversity standards are mandated by various committees (I s--t you not, they have a committee for every group in existence, except white men). It wasn't our boss who wanted him so to speak, it was that our boss was under serious pressure thus his harsh reaction.

I guess the greater question is whether AA really does any good and if it's even necessary any more. I've stated a number of times here that, IMO, one is a racist in this society at one's own risk. Thus, if someone wants to engage in racist hiring practices, I believe they do so at their own detriment.

I'm not saying that there wasn't value to AA in the past, but IMO its day has come and gone.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,733 / 84 / -24
    I think many companies could do a better job in recruiting, but quota systems are counter productive because of the poor assumptions people make about the ability of people in jobs when they are a member of a class that is targeted for increased participation.

Besides, while the intent was to help minorities, by far the greatest beneficiaries of AA programs have been white families... as white women have been the biggest winners in AA programs.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +679 / 22 / -4
    And don't get me started on Government set-asides. . . Safe to say, after one project for an 8A (Alaskan Native - but I never dealt with anyone but white guys) I finally got the $400 Toilet Seat. So, in this case, the good intentions are basically gamed by guy who would otherwise be part of the bidding process. Thanks to the set-asides, it basically becomes no-bid and the guys who do the least make the most.