Jihadists Execute Sisters and Mother for Dancing...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Aug 1, 2013.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    When talking about racial violence in general, and looking at how starkly different black on black violence is from white on white violence, it seems pretty logical and relevant to talk about that. And when talking racial violence, why 'wouldnt someone bring it up?

You say:
    However, It's noticeably different among blacks than among whites(At least according to this: http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2013/07/29/what_does_the_term_black-on-black_crime_imply_589.html). That seems like the perfect time to bring it up. Whites are asking for people to do exactly what you say they don't do, which is talk about black on black violence. We try to bring it up, and guess what -- it's a red herring.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    Unless you're willing to concede that black on black crime is related to or a product of white racism, then by definition, its a red herring when you're discussing white racism ... i.e. a relevance fallacy, designed to change the subject. Moreover, if you simply want to use statistical data to make an argument about relevance, then hate crimes against black people by whites are more prevalent than the other way around, yet inevitably someone will either cite reverse discrimination WRT to hate crimes or change the subject. Basically if statistics are your guide, then wouldn't you have to acknowledge that white racism is a bigger problem than black racism? So we can either acknowledge that there are underlying socio-economic issues that drive those stats, or keep using them as red herrings if we don't like a particular conversation.
  3. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    This is true. There are different interpretations, but at some point people have to accept that "A" cannot be interpreted as "not A". The liberal believes that words can twisted into the desired narrative, but you are pretty much asking people to throw out their minds and just make the words mean whatever you want them to mean. The historical person of Mohammad converted people to Islam by the sword. That is why many Islamic countries have a sword on their nation's flag. You can't divorce Islam from its history. If you try, then you'll end up with something that really can't be called Islam.
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    How did we get to this?

Nor do I. But I do understand that Islam as a philosophy is dangerous - IMO, and at least in its most practiced form(s) - and will always view it with a cautious eye and will rarely if ever come to its defense for any reason. I would have the same view of Christianity if it were in its 16th-Century form.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    Yes, I did. And I held a similar view of people like Jerry Fallwell, though he was pretty harmless by comparison.
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    Please. What would you have us do instead?
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    So, is the Religion the texts or people who follow and interpret those texts and their subsequent attitudes and actions toward others?

I lean toward the latter and stand by my position that Christianity is more evolved. The last part, BTW, I pretty much agree with you on.
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,247

Would we be more or less tolerant of behavior if we were bound by Biblical teachings?

What would the punishment be for committing sins?
  9. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +514
    Unbelievable! This is the 21st century and this is unacceptable behavior in any religion. Why would you bring archaic Christian history into this one?
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,247
    Cause the book didn't change that was used to justify violence that was accepted by society
  11. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    Yep. By all means, this makes it rational to deal in moral equivalency between the Inquisition and fundamentalist Muslims. Funny thing is, they were doing it then, too. Why doesn't their never having stopped matter? Why doesn't it having always been more pervasive matter?
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,995
    Typical cherry picking of scripture there. First Jesus was speaking in a parable in that passage.

Second, he is speaking of a slave who beats other slaves. Thy shall recieve the same from the master. Context is our friend.

Far cry from killing your own family for dancing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Gator Country
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,995
    No, but our understanding and education of the ancient manuscripts that comprise that book have grown exponentially. That book tells of a violent History that the writers believed was God ordained, while Jesus taught of the heart of a loving God who actually desired peace.

The centuries have uncovered manuscripts and doccumentation that have aided in scriptures proper interpretation.

Differences on the literal interpretations of old testament violence abound within Christianity, but what can not be argued by Christians is what Jesus said were the greatest commandments. Love God and love your neighbor. True Christianity exists with that as its core.

Acts of violence were never encouraged by Jesus.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Gator Country
  14. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    I can end all the BS right now....

[​IMG]
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Come on junior- you really gonna pull the burning of witches card on Christians?
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    The real hypocrisy is in those who defend a religion that rarely condemns violence, practices the abuse of women, and supports the demise of a whole opposing Nation all because they don't like Christianity.
    • Like Like x 1