Jeremy Foley

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFLAW81, Oct 14, 2013.

1. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,441
    By all accounts, he is extremely proud of UF's accomplishments in non-marquee sports.
    Much of his accolade as the best AD in American has come by this achievement, the facilities, support and finances for non marquee athletics has been superb. The departments Title 9 compliance and NCAA compliance is a model in athletics. His work as a fundraiser and broker for these programs is second to none.

The foundation for this Gator Nation is football. Basketball is becoming a trademark of his tenure, but Florida Football remains the rainmaker for athletics at UF and, quite interestingly, for the SEC. The conference contract with the SEC pulls greatly from the ratings points Florida generates.

The myth that one or two boosters can call the AD and demand this our that is just that, a myth. AD Foley develops relationships with the large money donors and they respect him. That respects translates into a clear understanding of how things work, what makes those things work and what role large boosters play. However, every year, now more than ever, the UAA suffers attrition in season ticket holders, and while much of that is planned, that planning will fail if seat improvement and ticket availability does not motivate existing season ticket holders to move up the chain.

Campaigning for major contributions is not easy, but when things are rolling at a fever pitch it becomes easier. The psychology of athletic donors is not something to get into here, but it has been studied and there is an identity formed between a booster and the program itself. If you are considering becoming a Bull Gator, you know you will be thought of as a Bull Gator and you want to show it, not hide it.

Merchandising for UF football is huge, as is the the program as a whole, but then again, as football goes so goes the licencing of the UF trademarks. It's big business folks. JF started here as a ticket manager. He knows the business of college athletics better than anyone. I guess we are fortunate he never was offered the job as the Red Sox GM. He would have been a perfect fit.

I have no doubt at all our AD wants Will Muschaump to succeed. Foley is a fan of young energetic coaches who can bring energy, passion and recruits to the program.
    But his obligations and reputation fall on the entire athletic program, football is the economic engine upon which it depends. Therein lies the fate of our current coach.
    Promises will not fund Womens Tennis. And every dollar lost this year and next has a multiplier effect for years on down the line.

I was tickled when some complimented the Glazers on their generosity when they purchased up the balance of tickets so the rest of the Bucs season could be broadcast locally. Those who know the Glazers know better. They knew, as the NFL knows, loosing ratings points in a top 20 media market was a disaster. They were forced to do it, knowing there was little chance of increasing ticket sales this year. Such has sealed the fate of their coach. It's simply a matter of time and timing.

AD Foley cannot buy back booster non renewals for 2014. While there is a lot of season left, it is going to take an heroic effort and another top five recruiting class to avoid the drop off. I hope will gets there. The AD like him a lot, a whole lot.
    But it isn't personal, it is business.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    [​IMG]

What's wrong with my sports, Foley?
  3. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    Umm...that would be marquee.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    Maybe foley can sell Gators-themed pacifiers to the boosters.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    haha love it
  6. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    [​IMG]
  7. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,441
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    If people think our offense is boring, I'd stand it toe-to-toe with hearing about 'billy big ... boosters' any day.

It may well be the reality but it's boring to hear about. I care about sports, not financing. I support my Gators for enjoyment, not balance sheet fundamentals.

Either put some money in or go elsewhere as I'm concerned. Frankly I think we'll do fine regardless. Just stop using it as threat of power every time something ails us. If you're not happy, vote with your feet and don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Go Gators.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Ticket/Merchandise sales are not a UF problem. It's happening everywhere and it really has nothing to do with the "boring brand of football"

All you have to do is take a look at our last opponent. LSU is playing the most exciting football (offensively) they've played in years and they had large empty pockets. It's a nationwide problem, not a Florida problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    A 5 loss season and you better believe there will be empty seats next year, especially if the O looks like it does now. That won't be the result of a national trend, jmo.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,441
    Huh?
  12. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,441
    The subtle point is, when revenue realized is less than projected and a budget shortfall looms, it is attributable to football.

Any one of you are free to call the UAA and pledge to cover the shortfall.

Please do.
  13. gatorjeff35

gatorjeff35 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Don't believe all the hype about the Bull Gator Program. There are levels in there as well. If you are at the bottom, ex $15,000 per year, the perks aren't that great. You get your 8 tickets for home games, lucky to get 4 for the FL/GA, game and maybe get 2 tickets if we make the BCS Championship. I was in the program but stopped donating after finding out that I only got 2 tickets for the FL/OK game. Wound up having to sell the 2 tickets and buy 3 tickets at $1000 a pop so a family of 3 could go to the game. We exited the Bull Gator program the next year. If they want to make it about the money, I can buy seats to any game and still come out ahead. So I am one of the people who no longer buys their season tickets(8 Seats, 40 yd line). Made one game last year, and none so far this year. They made the games more about the money and not about the experience. Wrong choice in my mind. I would have paid the Bull Gator fee for the rest of my life.
  14. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    big money boosters run it all---when they've had enough, jeremy will jump and do what they say.
  15. GatorTD8to10

GatorTD8to10 Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    You lost me at the 'Foley would be a great Red Sox GM' bit. I mean I skimmed alot of it so you probably lost me before but this part. WAT. I dont understand how being a ticket man years ago makes someone qualified to make MLB personnel decisions.
  16. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I seriously doubt that there will be very many empty seats next year regardless of what happens the rest of the season. While it is true that some fair weather Gator fans do not stick together in all kinds of weather, many long time fans (such as I) sat through far worse than this could possibly be, and came to every game. Does the 0-10-1 season come to mind?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +512
    Rep to you Limey. Unfortunately though, it's out of our hands unless we can find out the location of the secret Bull Gator campfire.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Wow. Team has lost two games--on the road--to one good team and one very good team, and we get this?

My father-in-law was a Bull Gator; one of the original ones back in the Woodruff, Graves, Pell, Galen Hall, Dickey (may be out of order) eras. He would fuss and fume, but never backed off of his support. He also never had illusions that he could call any shots; although he would like to have. Sadly, he did not live to see the Spurrier success.

Back then, before palatial sky boxes, the fan in the stands was important. My last trip to the Swamp for a noon game was miserable. I am sure that the folks up in the sky boxes were enjoying themselves immensely; some may have even been watching the game. For the most part, there is no effort to make the fan experience enjoyable anymore--and it isn't just at UF. I held season tickets to an out of state school in another major conference; attendance has dwindled in their beautiful stadium over the years as they have demanded ever more from the season ticket holders, to the point that a view of the stands is often embarrassing

Colleges have built huge stadiums and huge athletic programs. The truth of the matter is that it is all too big. I seriously doubt that it is sustainable; especially now that they must compete with wall to wall TV coverage.

ADs better start thinking about how they can scale back to survive. Might start with the outlandish pay packages--including their own.
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    Dean, tickets were not 40 bucks or more, and gas wasn't over 3 bucks a gallon. A boring offense along with a 5 loss season the previous year spells trouble. I'm glad you will be there and thats OK, just saying there will be plenty of empty seats. Problem is our OL won't be much better next year without a new OL coach and even then it will be hard to get these guys to block well. O we will win against the Bethunes and the kentuckys, but we are doing far less than 50/50 vs good teams.
  20. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,441
    He once said that is the only job he would leave UF for.