Jeff Driskel

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Nov 7, 2013.

1. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    i still think JD is a good qb
  2. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    He, Dalvin Cook, Ahmad Fulwood, and Kelvin Taylor are going to win us an SEC championship next year
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    Don't forget DRob and Lane!
  4. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    DRob needs to room with Fulwood next year. He needs somebody with a level head around to keep him in order

Maybe Sherit, Washington, Harris, Neal, or Hargreaves. A bunch of really smart kids in the class of 2013. We're going to see a decrease in penalties in the next 4 years, I can promise you that
  5. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Keep in mind Murphy came in with zero reps in practice. Never played a down until Jeff got hurt. Since then, he has taken his licks but he didn't get phased. By the end of the season, Murphy will have enough under his belt to make a real push in the Spring to keep the starting job. Jeff has much to prove when he returns and he'll be out of shape too.
  6. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +790
    Brissett seemed to be in denial about the true nature of his ability. Specifically, his ability to hit the broad side of a barn with his throws.

Murphy showed some ability to read defenses and throw an accurate ball in his first game or two, but didn't do so well against better defenses.

I would question if the current coaching staff has the ability to both select a starting QB and to develop QB's.
  7. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Yeah no offense to Jacoby, but he showed me nothing against our FCS opponent to make me think he should be starting over Jeff
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    At what point do you stop blaming the quarterback? Even Tebow's numbers took a significant drop without Murphy and Harvin, and average play from the offensive line.

Our front five has gotten worse each season since Tebow was a senior, and we've seen Brantley, Driskel and now Murphy struggle mightily. They've also had nobody to make the big play when we've had our backs against a brick wall, struggling to find any movement offensively.

I honestly don't believe that Brantley, Driskel and Murphy are as bad as they've looked at times. My wife used to dog Brantley every time the offense stalled, but I would ask her what the guy was supposed to do when somebody had his hands on him before he could even get his feet set? That effects a QB mentally, too. If you can't trust your line, you're thinking about that every time you drop back.

Jeff Driskel in not-nor has he ever been-the University of Florida's problem. When the last three quarterbacks have all had the exact same issues, it's time to stop blaming them for what's really happening.
  9. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    The photo from that article explains why the throw (that resulted in the interception) was so poor. Can clearly see his ankle being pinned and broken as he releases the ball.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,512
    Most of this is based on conjecture, though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt like people read a whole bunch into one Matt Elam tweet.
  11. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I hope Driskel heals and returns to the team a better QB--no matter how boring our offense is next year. It would be nice to at least have options at QB amongst Driskel, Grier, and Murphy (assuming Tyler does not graduate and leave).
  12. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Running back position looks good for next year too........Jones, Taylor, Cook.
  13. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Murphy got plenty of reps in the fall camp with Jeff out. To be honest, I'm not sure which one gives you the better chance to win. Is there some way to combine Murphy's pocket awareness and demeanor with Jeff's athletic ability?
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,512
    I'd take Tyler 2013 over Jeff 2012 every day of the week.

But Jeff showed real progress to me as it related to making reads and check-downs. The problem is our line-play, which Tyler has been a better fit solely because he senses pressure and can step up in the pocket.

If Jeff learns how to step up in the pocket then I think it's a no-brainer. If not ...
  15. leogator

leogator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I think next year we need to to a bit more spread option, since we now know that Murphy is a competent backup. And god let's fix our O-line problems. Oh and learn how to throw slants when they blitz.
  16. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Another thing that both QBs need to work on is throwing before the receiver is open. Jeff is a big time tools guy, but he lacks feel and anticipation. He has poor feel in the pocket and he throws the ball late often.
    I think we are in a good position at QB next year. And I think it will be a wide open competition. Tyler has shown he is at least equally as competent as Jeff, and in some instances better.
  17. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    JD and TM will be ready to go next year and we will be in good hands no matter who plays...
  18. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Brown, Lane.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,512
    I'm less worried about spread option than I am perimeter running. Our lack of perimeter running has made it even worse in our traditional run game.

Plus, whenever we have those end arounds they tend to do pretty well and then it's back to 1-back or power run game.
  20. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I think you are onto the right idea. I do not mean explicitly run the spread-option, but to actually mold the offense to what they were recruited for or what they have become good at. There is a mix of players recruited for the 2005-2010 spread-option, recruited for the 2011 Charlie Weis 1990s pro-style offense, recruited for the 2012 Brent Pease 1980s offense, and players caught in between that were recruited for one and are comfortable with another. In short, they should consider going back to a spread offense or any hybrid offense if that is what the players are comfortable with or if that is where their talents lie.