Jeff Driskel

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Nov 7, 2013.

1. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Much like Powell this season, Jeff could decide after next season, he has reached his ceiling with little more to prove and accept being a 4th-7th round pick and not risk injury.

Now I hope we turn it around and he leaves after 30+ passing TDs & 3500 yards, which he has the potential to do, but we don't have the plan right now to make it happen.
  2. egator7

egator7 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    Everyone needs to remember as well, that it wasn't our staff that made Jeff the top QB in the country by winning the Elite 11 competition. It is only on them what happens after that. I am glad that the article was pointed out that reminded everyone that in Nashville last year Driskel scored three TDs, and also rushed for 177 yards. We also put up almost 500 yards on offense against Miami, which included 291 passing. We haven't come close to that since vs a quality opponent.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Jeff is a gamer and we'd be ahead of where we are now if he was healthy. I welcome him back for another 2 seasons and wish him a full recovery. He kept a lot of drives alive last season with his legs and as we develop some young receivers and find an SEC tight end, will surprise many as he develops into a good passer. Driskel is/was not the problem with our offense. Hopefully, the problem is solved in the offseason.

Come on round ball season.
  4. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I'm looking forward to Jeff getting back out on the field in spring ball. There should be plenty of competition between him and Murphy. Competition usually makes players elevate their game which is a good thing.

I'm also glad to see Murphy playing well this year, it shows that whoever wins the QB competition next year can go out and play with some reckless abandon (i.e. designed QB runs, not afraid to take off running). I feel like early in the year we played scared to move Driskel out of the pocket because we weren't sure what we had in Murphy. I think you will see a lot more read option and designed QB runs with Driskel/Murphy next year than you did early this season.
  5. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,386
    The best thing that happened to JD was missing this season.

Give him a healthy OL, some talented young WR's and an OC and we will see the real JD.
  6. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    4th-7th round pick!?!! Lol are you high? Driskel is no guarantee to start next year, but he is the LAST person in college football who should be thinking about leaving early
  7. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I agree TM is at least as good and in some ways better. Certainly he's as good a scrambler and runner, and seems more accurate. Neither he nor JD had the protection they needed, but made the best of a poor OL performance. I hope JD does come back strong, and let the chips fall.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,462
    no people leave early every year that dont even get drafted
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    No guarantee but I haven't seen enough from Tyler to think he'll hold off Jeff next fall camp. I agree it's premature to think of him leaving after next year but two points:

1) he wouldn't be leaving early as it would be at the end of his fourth year; and
    2) if he were to put up those numbers he would likely be a highly sought after NFL prospect considering his size and arm strength. Jeff also camps well so he would perform well for scouts and GMs.
  10. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Yes I know this. And Driskel will be one of them. He needs to work on every part of his game times 10 if he wants to even get drafted
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,462
    [​IMG]
  12. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    In my opinion they are both backup college QBs. Jeff can't read a defense and has poor pocket awareness. Murphy has physical limitations and is sometimes very inaccurate on his throws. I'm sorry, I like Driskel and Murphy, but neither one of these QBs is sniffing the NFL unless there is DRASTIC improvement made this offseason
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    May the best QB win. One thing I don't like is how our staff takes these mobile QBs who base a large part of their game on their legs and then basically just cuts their legs off and tells them to stay in the pocket because they fear injury. That basically cripples them and is the same as an injury. Also a QB usually gets injured in the pocket anyways.

If you have a mobile QB then let them run, scramble, and be themselves. To try otherwise will result in failure. They need to get this fear out of their mind. Stop being so scared of everything. Fear will result in 0 titles.
  14. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    This IMO is the best thing about this season, we've seen that both of these QB's are equally capable. This should allow whoever is calling plays next year to let the QB's run a bit. I think they were tight early on with JD because they were scared of him getting hurt.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,462
    While they are not equally capable it is good to know we have a back up that can at least function. We should have a 3rd stringer that can function as well next year. So they can run the starter more.
  16. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Competition makes players better. Hopefully, a real competition we'll deliver us a better starter next year, whoever that may be.

Plus, if one is not performing well, you can actually. Ring the hook and play the other for a possible spark.
  17. GornGator

GornGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Would'nt mind having JD back. Like what I have seen from TM also. Have read good/great things about Will Grier too. I'd like to know where Skyler Morningweg and Max Soaker stand as far as the pecking order goes?...... I thought M. Staver was a pocket passing gunslinger........
    Yes, let the best man win the starting job.
    GO GATORS !!!!
  18. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Cake taker....
  19. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +540
    I'm not trying to be negative tonight, but it has the makings of a pretty ugly controversy to me. I mean, it got ugly between JD and Brissett this time last year, and I don't know what would be different this spring.

Both have won and lost games, neither sets the offense on fire. One's white, one's black, and that always plays a part in these threads. And for an offense that will again be trying to establish something in the spring, having a QB controversy might not be the best thing.
  20. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    TM doesn't have the same personality as JB. I don't see it being too much of an issue.