James Hearns to enroll at Louisville...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by sbcg8r, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sbcg8r

sbcg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I really wanted this kid.
  2. sbcg8r

sbcg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Louisville adds ESPN 300 LB to 2013 class

By Derek Tyson | Jun 29, 2013 11:52 AM
    The Louisville Cardinals will be adding a late addition to their 2013 recruiting class as ESPN 300 linebacker James Hearns (Tallahassee, Fla./Lincoln) announced he will enroll at Louisville before July 13.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound was previously committed to Florida, but academic concerns forced Florida and other schools to back off of Hearns recruitment. Hearns finally got the test scores he needed and will be academically eligible in the fall.

Hearns said he decided to attend Louisville because of the relationship he has built with the Cardinals' coaching staff.

"They are definitely on the upswing," Hearns said. "They will be going in to the ACC soon. Coach [Charlie] Strong is doing a lot of good things down there. The coaching staff really won me over. I've never been around a coaching staff that I've felt so comfortable around. It's like family. Coach Ron Dugans is from Tallahassee. My mom and aunt went to middle school with him. So we have a good relationship."

Hearns believes he has an opportunity to compete for playing time early on in his career.

"I see me coming in and fitting in well," Hearns said. "They already have some good linebackers, but I still see an opportunity for me to come in and play early."

With the addition of Hearns, Louisville will now have 19 prospects, including four in the ESPN 300 in their 2013 class.
  3. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    [​IMG]

No more chomps for you.
  4. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Florida has academic standards that other schools don't.
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    Gator bait
  6. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +963
    Really that is a myth. Plus the kids we get in to UF or no better academically than anywhere else. We are not The Harvard if the south with football students.
  7. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    Actually... :no:
  8. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    True. Lol:sick:
  9. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Actually, we've had several cases over the years where athletes couldn't get into UF even though they met NCAA minimum standards. This used to really piss off Spurrier. Nobody claimed we were the Harvard of the South.
  10. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Uh... no it is not a myth.

There have been lots of kids who could not get accepted to UF but got into other BCS schools. It normally has to do with certain required core classes that we require (via the SEC, and maybe Florida law) that other areas of the country don't have.

I'm not saying we have high standards, just different and sometimes kids get excluded because of it.
  11. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    So after he got the classes completed, why didn't we let him in our class? Or try to get him back in our class.
  12. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Borderline kids tend to get into certain schools with regularity. Among those schools are Louisville, W. Virginia, USF, and Cincy.
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Most certainly is not a myth. UF has some different standards and requirements...not sure how you can argue that point. I have seen it first hand with some kids, and it happened last year more than once. Nobody but you used the Harvard of the South line, but the slightest difference can sometimes be the difference between getting into one school or another.
  14. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    As kindly as I can express it on a keyboard...
    The entrance requirements at the University of Florida are much tougher than a lot of schools...especially in the SEC. Additionally, our requirements in order to stay in school at Florida are tougher too. An athlete who is on scholarship has to have a certain number of hours taken and passed by his sophomore year at Florida... to stay in Florida.
    Many, many other schools in the SEC and especially in the ACC do not have those additional requirements.

After following college recruiting since 1981... and seeing time after time... players that we wanted... and players that wanted to come to Florida... to see how we had to turn them away... hated it! Only to see them attend some school in the ACC... or Michigan State.
    To all of those out there, does Plaxico Burress ring a bell? He actually came to Gainesville the summer before his senior year to practice (unofficially) with his future teammates at Florida. That's how bad he wanted to come here. Ooops... then not have the grades and goes off and attends Michigan State.
    And then, playing for the Spartans...he winds up pushing off our DB and then, catching the winning touchdown that beats us in the Citrus Bowl...

Secondly, to drive home the point that Florida and Vandy both share an uneven playing field when it comes to the Alabammys, the Nolies and the Climpsens of the world...
    My own niece could not get into Florida because she simply did not have the grades.
    Could not even get into Clowntown because of her high school transcripts...
    Alabama actually accepted her. She lasted a year.

Bottom line... Alabama can get every big, fast and mean defensive linemen that they want (the hardest position to recruit) and we can't... because of our entrance requirements and our retention requirements.
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    Ultimately, it's where they stand on or just before NSD. It is possible that James has the necessary requirements to play football at UF right now, but he was too much of a risk when the time came to putting our class together. We've had a lot less attrition than in recent years and have far less than f$u when it comes to signed players qualifying. I can't say for certain this is the case with Hearns, but it sounds like a test score issue and he got the score he needed, which was probably the same score he needed to get into UF. He didn't have that score, or had not met the sliding scale requirements last January.

We got all the LBs we needed and they are all going to be enrolled this fall. Best of luck to James. He's got a great career ahead of him and a terrific head coach. Most of all, congrats to him for doing the work it took to get enrolled.
  16. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +963

I think this is a bunch of crap.
  17. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +963
    For regular students yes it is harder for kids to get in. Extremely tough. In fact it is wrong. UF is missing out on some great kids who have the complete package , but choose to accept these nerds from the middle east and non communicative students from the US because they test out at incredible rates.These students from out of the country will take their diploma from UF and help someone else' s workforce. We need to get Florida kids first if you are going to improve Florida's workforce.

For football kids their entrance requirements are just a bit tougher,but not that much. Don't mistake our football students to Vandy's.