Jadeveon Clowney runs a 4.47....SEC Speed...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by rogocop, Feb 24, 2014.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Seriously, do some research. It was more than "being tired." Regardless, you make the leap from a junior slump to complacency with absolutely no basis whatsoever. Pretty dumb.
  2. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Dude didn't feel like playing that day. What do you want a memo from Congress? Of course my opinion is based on something. There is no question Clowney got double and triple teamed, which does account for the drop in productivety, that's fine. If one defender is taking up 2-3 players on offense he is doing his job. But it is more than reasonable to have doubts about Clowney especially once he starts living the high life. A little "research" into history can tell you that. The Albert Haynesworth comparison is a good one but there ar eplenty more. Albert had plenty of ability but Albert didn't feel like playing as soon as the ink was dry on his latest ridiculous contract. Whichever Washignton Exec that wanted him is probably seeling insurance now. There is no guarantee. Not all players have Emmitt Smith's heart.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    This makes so many assumptions it's impossible to tell if you're serious. I have a hard time believing your mind is this lazy, to assume all players are the same and that any drop in production is an indication that complacency is a bigger risk than with other players.

Just really, really uninformed stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    You are considered the best and then have the best combine numbers, you get drafted like the best.

After watching Manziel run, I think the faster NFL will limit what he does best.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
    Certainly compared to how much running he could do in college. But Manziel is very elusive - 40yd dash doesn't measure that. He'll still be effective running when he wants/needs to.
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,186
    He reminds me of Doug flutie...in the Canadian football league.
  7. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    I think Clowney a better fit as an NFL LB given his amazing speed. Kearse had his career cut short due to freakish injuries and bad luck in the trenches. Clowney seemed to be at his best when he was lighter. He had a much better supporting cast up front his first two years. This year they only had one other good player on the DL. Two of his DL mates from the 2 previous years are now playing on Sundays. Plus their DL coach this year was way too predictable with him.
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,841
    His straight line speed was outstanding but he completely underwhelmed on the bench press ripping only 21 times I believe. He also opted not to do the cone drills citing a nagging injury but then did the 3 cone drill. The word going around is Clowney struggles with changing direction. Some Gm's around the league do have serious questions about where his head is at with some of the decisions he makes. Which puts them in a predicament since he is a physical specimen/ freak of nature there's no way he is only 21 yrs old. He looks 35.
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10511222
  9. ActLikeYouCrow

ActLikeYouCrow Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    this sums up 99% of the idiotic inaccurate critiques regarding clowney this year. "he didnt make a play here, he must have been thinking about the nfl, trying not to get hurt or dogging it". make up whatever example you can to try and fit it back into that clowney didnt care narrative. no great player has ever gotten tired, hurt, or made a mistake on the dline before in the history of football before so obviously clowney must have coasting.

watch his game tape vs michigan and tennessee in 2012, watch him vs tennessee and wisconsin in 2013. whats the difference? most people throwing around this negative rhetoric dont know what theyre talking about.
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,841
    This brings up a good point. His DL coach his first 2 years was none other than coach Lawing who we stole from the cocks. Maybe had lawing been there he could have gotten more out of clowney
  11. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +567
    He'd be my pick if I was a GM and he was available. He literally changed his opponents offensive game plan while biding his time in the SEC. I think he's one of those rare talents that could have gone from HS to the NFL.

When he signed with USCe, I didn't think Spur's could keep him invested for three years - but to his credit he did that and more.
  12. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,024
    I'm an NFL speed skeptic. I doubt that it's that much faster than college. Better, yes. But you can't move DE's to LB adn LB's to safety and be faster.
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
    NFL is definitely faster on average and it is visible on the field (especially if you watch it live near field level). The most elite college programs in big games against each other get close to that speed, but it's still not the same. The time it takes for most elite college QBs to adjust to the NFL game is a good indicator of the difference.

Part of the speed of the NFL game is due to better recognition and anticipation but the athletes are faster too.

And the DEs moving to LB are freak athletes that were faster than most of their team in college... Clowney is an extreme example of that, but percentage wise, there's a pretty short list of SEC athletes that are faster than him, and an even shorter list that is more explosive in the first 10 yards.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  15. beanfield

beanfield Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +207