Jacob Coker Not as Good as Some Might Think?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ctresh, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +821
    ...or is Blake Sims that much better than we all thought? Regardless of what you may think about both of these guys, neither one seems to stand out to Saban at thsi point. That could be really good news for us, or really bad news.
    http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/is_it_crazy_to_think_blake_sim.html#incart_river
    http://bamahammer.com/2014/08/14/ni...lake-sims-splitting-time-starting-qb/#!bDXpi2

There was a reason Nick Saban went out and got Coker from the Noles. His other starting QB option wasn't all that appealing to him. Coker was supposed to be the next big thing at F$U, but lost his starting job to a freshman, granted a Heisman/National Champion freshman, but a freshman all the same.

So that leaves us with two thoughts regarding Coker, either (1) he is really good, just maybe not Heisman good, and lost his starting job to a very good freshman, or (2) he's not that great bc a freshman beat him out for the starting role.

That brings us to the man Coker was brought in to replace, Blake Sims. Sims was actually a much higher ranked player coming out of high school than Coker was, but wasn't necessarily thought of as a QB, and hasn't really done a whole lot at Bama besides the run the ball some. Replacing McCarron is no small feat considering he's won multiple championships, but you would think a senior would have a pretty good grasp of the offense after playing with AJ for a few years. However, if he did have a good understanding of the offense, and was able to perform at an SEC level, that begs the question why would you need to bring Coker in?

Maybe they both are very good QBs, which is why one hasn't distanced himself from the other. But maybe they're both just mediocre, which is why Saban won't discuss the topic, and why some people are talking about Sims potentially starting. Because I like the thought of the latter, that's the theory I'm going with. If it's true that neither guy really has command of the offense, that would bode extremely well for us since we play them so early on in the season. I think the longer they're splitting time as the starter, the better our chances are for an upset.

What's say you?
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    I think with either Bama QB, the game will be close and might even go to overtime. I just hope that Bama will try a long field goal as time is expiring, and that Andre Debose will catch the short kick in the end zone and...
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    People downplay the QB at Atlanta but really they've had an incredible string of luck with underrated, solid quarterbacks.

It can't last forever. I honestly see Alabama (and the West as a whole) taking a step back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The only thing in Bama's favor is (as usual) the o-line and a great stable of backs. They probably won't be throwing a ton this year either way.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,042
    Live by running the ball or die by running the ball.
  6. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    This is my thought, as well. I think you just have to consider the odds: are they really going to have 3 championship QB's in a row? I don't see that happening. Regardless of how well you recruit, it's never an exact science and there are going to be busts. We know all about that here at UF and I say it's time for Alabama to have something blow up in their face, for a change. The Coker transfer, the Kiffin hire...I want something to end up being a complete disaster for them. After all the adulation he's received, it would be fun to watch Saban deal with a mess or two and catch a little heat for a change.

Here's to Coker sucking and the Gator boys rolling into Tuscaloosa under the radar and punching them in the mouth.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +601
    Coker was never the starter for FSU and he wasnt beat for the job by a freshman.....it was a REDSHIRT freshman who had a year in their system. Winston was in his second year at fsu last season....so was Coker. Please dont think that Coker was ever going to be the QB at fsu, it was always Winstons job to begin last season. Coker will be in his 3rd year of college same as Winston, that is why he transfered
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Over/under on the starting Bama QB's average attempts per game?

My guess would be 21.5
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    I think this is just Sabanisms ... He is just playign coach-speak to make sure all of his guys ar emotivated and practice hard, and to make sure his team knows no job is simply handed to a player without proving the entitlement. I suspect Coker starting is and has been a done deal.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    It really doesn't matter. Seriously. The QB at Alabama only has to be solid, not great. He has to be smart enough to make good decisions. He has to be very coachable and have decent skills. He does not have to be an NFL prospect. He does not have to have anything but an average arm. He does not have to be highly charismatic. If Bama ever gets a Namath, Tebow, Manning, Newton etc type of player, we will all be sick to our stomachs. But, they really don't need that. They just need a pretty good athlete who is smart, has decent leadership ability, has enough physical skills to be a QB, and stay out of Saban trouble. That is exactly who Coker is. And, he can win as good as the guys they have had. And, I have met him and know his family well. He fits the mold like a glove.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    With the new starter at qb and with the OL and stable of quality rbs, bama will be running the ball a lot. Bama will be imo more conservative this year than in the past, with a strong D, strong rbs, strong OL they won't need to take too many chances throwing the ball. I do see them becoming more balanced as the year goes on and their qbs having more game experience.

For us to beat bama, we have to contain the run period. If we can't do that we don't have much of a chance. We also, have to move the ball, no turnovers, and very few 3 and outs.

My recipe for a win, score early and often, take the crowd out of it and force bama to have to throw.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    I just don't want to lose and hear the bammers chanting rammer jammer...

That's just like spitting in our faces....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Hmmm, just to let some know... Coker wasn't beaten out by Winston, that starting job was Winstons the day he signed with Rape-su.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I'm with you... one of the most obnoxious, unsportsmanlike "traditions" in all of sports.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Primarily... win the battle of first down and force them into 2nd and 3rd and longs as much as possible.
  16. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,957
    How does it go ??
  17. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    This hurts but here you go...

18. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    "Hey Gators. Hey Gators. We just beat the hell out of you. Rammer jammer, yellow hammer, give 'em hell Alabama."

After Auburn beats them, they have their own version called "Reverse Rammer Jammer":

"Hey Bama. Hey Bama. We just beat the hell out of you. Rammer jammer, yellow hammer, go to hell Alabama."

I'm going to be chanting the Reverse version at them after we shock the world at Bryant Denny.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gator63

Gator63 Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    OR .... like we learned so painfully last year ... Saban knows that you need to have more than one quality QB. And quality QBs are not just lying around.
  20. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +519
    I suspect that both QBs there will be somewhere between good and very good which should be enough to make Bama the most likely SEC team to make the playoffs.
    • Agree Agree x 3