Jacksonville Gator Club Meeting Last Night

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jaxgator1991, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I know I'll get a bunch of "sunshine pumper" ratings for this, but I truly believe when Jeremy hired Will he knew there were going to be some growing pains to be endured by Gator Nation as Will grew into the position. I also think one of Will's primary tasks was to clean up the UF football culture. To that end, I think he's making substantial strides. From the notable decline in off season arrests to even something as small as this quote from Austin Smith, linebacker recruit, say a lot to me about how much progress has been made in this arena which cannot be measured in W's & L's: "

“I got to hang out with Dante Fowler and Alex McCalister all weekend,” Smith said. “The players took me in like I had been there all my life. Coach Durkin assigned me to those guys and they took me under their wing. They were talking to me about doing everything right and how you don’t want to drink and you don’t want to smoke or anything like that. They were good role models to me and my teammate.”

Yes, the 11-1 season may have given Will a false sense that things on the offensive side of the ball were going better than they really were. Should he have known that immediately? Ideally, yes. But, was this one of the aforementioned growing pains of a first time head coach? Probably. The important thing is Will learned from it.

I understand the skepticism of people who are not convinced Will is the right person for the job; however, I am hopeful this season is the 8-4, or 9-3 Gator Nation and Will need for him to stick around. If it is, I think in a few years we'll look back on this time and be glad we weathered this storm together. Moreover, it may even result in some coaching stability and the restoration of a positive culture around our football program that we haven't enjoyed since Spurrier.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579

Sunshine Pumper!! :D (just kidding...good post).

Jenkins, I hope for the same result as well. On the other hand, it's easy/politically correct to sit here and say what you did....when the reality is we have NO CLUE what is going to happen because we just saw a 4 win season. We saw what schools like Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky regularly go through. We can go on and on. So, my perspective is I'm just going to sit back and TRY to enjoy UF football for what it has become...and hope it returns to what it once was. We are all still Gator fans, regardless of our thoughts and opinions on the coach and the current state of the program.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Agreed, Ghost. Expressing my opinion isn't intended to invalidate someone who has a different view. As you point out, there remain a lot of unknowns that will play our come Fall. While I acknowledge a nearly equally possible outcome is a poor record that would likely result in a coaching change, I do hope it doesn't come to that :)
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Awwwe! We're like one big happy family! :)
  5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,447
    Maybe they were glad it was over?

I kid.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158

:)