Jacksonville Gator Club Meeting Last Night

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jaxgator1991, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    Went to listen to Coach Muschamp last night in Jacksonville. Just wanted to share a couple of things that stood out to me. Overall I liked what I heard out of Coach, it seems like he has done a good job evaluating where the program is, how it got here, and what the steps are to turn the ship. I was happy that he came out and pretty much addressed the offense throughout the whole event. I think we can all agree that Muschamp has done very well defensively and at least to me, does not need to change much on that side of the ball, so far so good. He answered questions for about an hour, some good questions, some silly but overall he did a good job answering them. He explained the process of how he found Kurt Roper, his history of QB development and getting the most out of the talent that he had to work with at Duke. He said the positions that he feels the most confident at on offense are Driskell and the RB crew, and defensively he said that Antonio Morrison and Michael Taylor should be much improved with the obvious standouts being Fowler and Hargreaves. Treon Harris, Grier, and Skylar will all have a shot at the number 2 and Driskell being far and away the best QB so far. He discussed how they will be almost exclusively in the gun this year, and use an offense that features Jeff's talents which was good to know. Overall, he had a few good jokes and keep the mood light, fans gave him a standing ovation, and he seems like he is determined to have a big season and very very confident. Good luck coach, I hope you can get things turned around.
    • Like Like x 19
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    Thanks, jaxg.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gene

gene Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Sounds good to hear of WM's confidence. It has to start there to end well. I think we will have a good and exciting season, especially compared to last year. Go Gators!
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Thanks jax - nice update.

My one concern coming out of that message is that Champ consistently gets behind his projected starting QB, and expresses a high level of confidence in him whether that QB is playing well and has earned that confidence, or not. I understand why he does that, but I don't think it is always the best thing to do... particularly if the team knows there are other guys who might be able to do a better job. I prefer Spurrier's approach.

I really hope JD is the man this fall. But I'm going to wait and see.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I'm usually a fairly optimistic person and cynicism doesn't come easily to me...but much as I want to rally behind Coach and cheer him on, my first thoughts are always some snarky remark or to question why the effe he didn't acknowledge such obvious shortcomings long before.

There's a lot to like about Muschamp. He's confident without being brash; he seems to have a good mind for the game; he's obviously passionate and fiery (which gets the players, the fans, and yea--even me--fired up too). But after last season, everything he says gets taken with a grain of salt in my book.

There seems to be a widespread consensus around here that there's "no excuse" for some of the losses we had last season. And it's true: there should be no excuse offered or accepted; to his credit, Muschamp has not been one to make many excuses and acknowledges that fact. I admire his candor and what it says about him as a person, but as the football coach, I tend to expect him to figure it out before the press conference and make adjustments accordingly.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Standing ovation? Wow, that's impressive all things considered.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I'm with you there. He seems to always say the right thing but its always after the fact. During the season last year he was very defiant (e.g., "This is the same staff that was a game away from the national championship.") about our sad state of affairs. He's got to recognize deficiencies sooner and make adjustments on the fly. As opposed to "We'll do our evaluations at the end of each year, like we always do." Not good enough. That's Foley's job to "check in" and evaluate the program every now and then. The head football coach needs to have his finger on the pulse and see things going awry before they get out of hand. I really don't see how Muschamp just thought the offense was going to be fine with Pease and co. going into the 2013 season. Injuries or not it was going to be a train wreck.

He made a lot of bad quotes throughout last season. He also proved to me he knows very little about coaching and preparing an offense himself so I'm definitely taking a grain of salt when it comes to "so and so is really coming on in practice and should see more playing time" and "this is what we want to do with the football", etc. He doesn't know.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Great news. I like WM and want him and the team to be successful, like all Gator fans.

But I guess the obvious question is: why did he allow his OC to run an offense for 2 years that was NOT suited (or at least LESS suited) to his QB's talent?

Perhaps the 11-1 season in 2013 gave him a false sense of security about that offense. Most observers realized that the defense was responsible for most of those victories, but I guess you can get blinded to the details when you are a winning.
  9. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    Well if he can make it thru the year without losing his starting and backup QB, his starting RB and all three offensive tackles, coach will have a chance to have a productive offense.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorKWM

GatorKWM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,341
    Totally agree. He was seeing something that wasn't there. The defense was the major contributor, along with a punter that was having an all-world year, and a kicker (Sturgis) that was money from any distance. Last year was the wake-up call - and he now realizes that you have to have at least a middle of the pack offense, and not one that's ranked in the three digit area.
  11. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    Muschamp has had to deal with multiple injuries to his starting QBs, RBs, and OL in every single season he's been here. Given that rather obvious fact, it would seem to me that a head coach would deem it prudent to 1.) ensure the backups are fully-prepared to run the offense and/or 2.) seriously hit the recruiting trail for offensive talent.

Let's be honest: neither has happened. Our backups have not been prepared in any of the three seasons Muschamp's been here--and Muschamp's missed on a LOT of offensive talent on the recruiting trail. Perhaps it's harsh, but is it so unreasonable to think that: ok, our starting QB has been injured every year and has had to miss games--and, moreover, our backup QB has also gone down in our first season too; maaaybe we need to make sure ALL our scholarship QBs run frequent game prep in practice...?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    Yea, that's a somewhat disturbing trend. In 2012 (our winning season), our team was ONE victory away from the SEC Championship game. Beat UGAy and we're in...it didn't matter what happened against Mizzou, we already had the tiebreakers over our rivals. Conversely, UGAy also had everything to play for: win the game against us, and they own the SEC East tiebreaker and go. They played like they wanted the game, we did not. I cheered along with anyone at the end of the year when Muschamp took a playful shot at Saban saying "we'll play them again if he doesn't want to risk the national championship!"--but why didn't he come out to play in the first game?

The same thing happened this year against Vandy in the Swamp--and (gasp) Georgia Southern. The team showed up to both games completely unprepared--this, when our bowl game berth was on the line at home.

Muschamp does seem to say the right thing at the presser--but I'd much, much rather him do the right thing and recognize/correct problems during the game.
  13. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    This point has been another one of his major shortcomings. He hasn't figured out a way to prepare his team and motivate them in such a way to get them to play up to their potential each and every week. Even big games like that UGA game or that Sugar Bowl. I would say at least half of his games the team has come out completely flat. That's really bad. Even in 2012 half the games they just laid an egg and did not play well at all. It's been a very ugly three years.

With Muschamp you can never say confidently that we will rise up for the big games, or play really well at home, or dominate the cupcakes. You just never know. That's a sure sign of poor coaching. The good ones get their teams to play the same way any time anywhere. Look at Billy D.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    As well as SOS and Urban Meyer (disregarding 2011, when he was no longer mentally into coaching the Gators). With very few exceptions those coaches always seemed to have their teams ready to play, and play well, in the big games even if they didn't win. It's a trait that WM needs to develop.
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Every thread!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Thanks Jax. I'll be seeing him in Orlando.
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,417
    There you go I figured I'd fix it for you :)
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,769
    Champ survived the tsunami of horrible luck last year, in part because the brains behind uf made the obvious and correct decision to keep him as our coach and leader. The vitriol spilled last year by gator fans that did not understand the situation was almost unbearable. He will redeem himself and we will enjoy our gators even more.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Thanks for the update and it sounds like people are looking forward and not dwelling on a bad season. Next year, with the schedule, I would consider going 8-4 and seeing the offense become stronger as the year goes on as being successful. At least to me, I see depth improving on both O and D and we are in position to have a really strong recruiting year.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    I imagine these events are painful for Muschamp. Glad to hear his demeanor was solid.

What were some of the "silly" questions? I remember a Zook Gator Gathering where some 13-14 year old kid asks him, "Coach, why do you put your arms on the podium when you talk?" (Zook was standing at the podium w/ both arms leaning into/on the podium). I wanted to go over there and kick his dad's ass for allowing the kid to ask the question.
    • Funny Funny x 1