Jack Youngblood hit the nail on the head about Urban Liar

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
    Swing and a miss! I think you knew exactly what he meant.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,837
    And soccer fans in England are no different than baseball fans in St Louis. All fans behave the same.

Right?
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    Indeed, no. Each individual fan is just that: individual.

If you've never seen a fight at a baseball game, I'm not sure you attend enough of them. Hell, I see them routinely at Rays games between Rays fans.

We are, after all, talking about generalizing fans en masse.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    Disgusting, awful, cannot stand.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,837
    You're arguing that all fan bases behave similarly and that simply is not the case. By a long shot.

As far as baseball games go, I specifically picked the St Louis baseball example to compare to English soccer (or Brazil :eek:), and not another place, like Philadelphia.

Because people DO behave differently in different areas.

Perhaps you should check this article written a couple of years ago by a columnist in West Virginia.

I have covered games all over the country and never ever witnessed fan behavior as deplorable as the conduct in Morgantown.

The list includes games at the University of Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami (Fla.), Penn State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Clemson, Michigan State, Kansas State, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, University of Virginia, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Louisville, South Florida, Boston College, Cincinnati and Navy.

In all those many, many venues, I never encountered fan behavior anywhere near the level of misconduct that has become the norm at WVU home games.

It simply doesn't happen on such a regular basis anywhere else than Morgantown.

What is even worse is the WVU miscreants actually take pride in their misbehavior. They hurl obscenities. They sport profane T-shirts. They throw batteries, coins and beer bottles during games. They print and wear demeaning T-shirts, such as one emblazoned with the outline of the state of Louisiana and the words "Relying On FEMA Since 2005."
    But all fan bases are just the same.

6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    You're again conflating a fan or small group with the whole.
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I hate to hijack but...

There are norms within different groups. The norm with Nebraska fans are 1) classy 2) knowledgeable 3) positive. Those things are encouraged within their group and also come from their coach (Osbourne) and the area of their country and what those people value.

Miami fans, umm, don't value the same things, to say the least.

I agree all fanbases have bad apples. And success brings to the front those who need validation by a successful sports team- so the bad apples are more visible after, say, an OSU 06 type season. ("THE BEST- period.") Even us Gators are not immune to this problem.

But at the same time there are norms within groups, and I don't agree that all fanbases have the same norms.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +528
    I think people thought favorably of Ohio State for many years. Remember, in 1996, they were an essential part of our national championship run. And then again when they knocked off Miami after the 2002 season, I think it's fair to say that most GATOR fans were rooting for Ohio State. To me the dislike of Ohio State stemmed almost completely from encounters with Ohio State fans towards the end of the 2006 season right up until just after Ginn's KR TD. The general consensus from folks we partied with out there (and many more accounts from folks that we didn't) is that we had never come across a more obnoxious group of fans (honestly, to me that made it more fun...I love Kentucky basketball fans, LSU baseball fans, Alabama football fans, etc.). It wasn't so much that Ohio State had a significantly different ratio as compared to FLORIDA when we're successful or Alabama when they're successful, but there were so freakin' many of them that we got to experience more of their obnoxious ones. They were a bit tamer by the time we met them in Atlanta a little over a year later. ;)

I think of the folks who don't like Ohio State, most of them already didn't like them prior to Meyer's arrival. Ohio State fans had the obnoxious quality that seemed more appropriate for Nebraska's 1995 championship team (and their fans were so pleasant it was ridiculous).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,837
    Umm... No.

Already stated that all fan bases have a small subset of fans that behave unacceptably.

What you're not recognizing is that in some fan bases that small subset is significantly larger, and engages in worse behavior on a regular basis, than the subset in other fan bases. This West Virgina writer sees it clearly. And documented it.

The next time you see fans of a school that I didn't single out, proudly wearing t-shirts that fly the F bomb, while they're throwing batteries and bottles at opposing teams and their fans, or dragging pregnant women out of cars and beating them, or starting numerous fires with every significant game they win, you let me know.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +528
    If it's not as obvious in comparing fans of different college athletics teams, look at the difference in the nature of fans overseas for soccer as compared to fans of college football in the U.S.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +616
    Did you read those comments from the article? Losers!!
  12. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,837
    Definitely varies in different regions and by sport.

Probably don't find a lot of battery and bottle throwing foul mouthed miscreants associated with golf or tennis... in any area of the world.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    This is an unquantifiable generalization, one that almost always comes from anecdotal experience.

Case in point.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    Depends on who they're rooting for. ;)
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    As a population, the demographic makeup of Ohio State fans and, say, Florida fans is very congruent. Let's muddle that even more. How many times have we read how bad/rude/destructive Florida State fans are? These are your neighbors. Hell some of them could have easily have been Gator fans as FSU fans.

The populations are the same, the demographics the same ... the only thing that's different is the colors and the mascot they wear on their shirts. If you truly believe that is the differentiator that makes one group "good" and the other "bad," then I think we're at a standstill.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    I thought this was a bash THE LIAR thread!
  17. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +528
    We've played SWAC for the national championship and we've played Ohio State for the national championship. Heck, throw in Oklahoma and Nebraska if you want. One opponent's group of fans stood out well ahead of the others in terms of obnoxious behavior. Whether or not they are like us is irrelevant to their likability by us.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    if you had ever attended a fsu game ( mostly before bowden) and had gotten there say an hour before the game and we'll say they are playing so miss. and for the next hour all you could hear is "go to hell gators" over and over ( sorta like they do the whorechant) your perspective may be different. just saying
  19. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    My kids have played a lot of organized sports. The worst parents by far, were the tennis parents.

As far as other teams fans, I would say Miami and LSU are bad. Cincinnati fans in '09 for the Sugar Bowl were pretty rude too.
  20. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +801

Really?....smh

When have you seen Gator fans at home games act like tO$U fans at their place? Stop comparing Gator fans to tO$U fans. They are no where near the same....and never will be either.

~*NSFW*~

• Winner Winner x 1