Jack Youngblood hit the nail on the head about Urban Liar

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jan 24, 2014.

1. largartos

largartos Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Youngblood is one of the best champions of Gator football. If you ever meet him he is cordial and always open to talk to anyone. When he talks with you he looks you in the eye and you immediately know he is a man of integrity and honesty. Yesterday he told it like it was with Urban Liar. I am over that Ohio compost. I hope his method of selecting thugs and using people follow every where he goes. LMAO they didn't make it to the BCS Championship!
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...lood-gators-ohiostate-20140123,0,4729926.post
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,264
    Pretty much what a lot of Gator Nation has been feeling.

Carries a lot of weight coming from Jack Youngblood, though.

He did land us two SEC and National Champion teams, regardless of his methods. I don't think any of us will be denying those championships even if we don't respect how he conducted himself.

For emphasis.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 9
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    Like a lot of us, we don't like the way he left. But, it happens. He got us two crystal trophies. It's really not worth pouting about anymore.
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    Also: unspoken policy is you announce that a link is a Bianchi link before hand so none of us accidentally click on it.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    What?! Meyers aint corching da Gatas anymore?
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. The_Ultimate_Gator

The_Ultimate_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Hey, look. Another Urban Meyer thread.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. oakgator

oakgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Welcome back from space!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,260
    Nothing new. We don't like him but we have two titles. I'm good with it......
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Boring Boring x 1
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    That's it in a nutshell. I wouldn't trade 2005-2010 for the world. And yes, I'd have loved it if he'd had stayed and we kept winning.

But he didn't want to coach here anymore. It doesn't matter why. And he's somewhere else. I won't root for him because I only root for the Gators. But I also won't root against him because Ohio State is not our rival and - despite the ending - he did a lot for this program.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,264
    I agree with this... except I'll root against the Bucknuts, not specifically because of Meyer, but because Bucknut fans as a group are obnoxious and earn every bit of pain that comes their way.

Honk if you sacked Troy Smith. :cool:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    I guess being younger sort of makes me immune to the vitriol directed at some of the more storied, established dynasties like Ohio State and Notre Dame. I've encountered very few of their fans outside of the 2007 BCSCG and even then they weren't any worse than, say, South Carolina fans when they come to Gainesville.

So I'm always sort of flummoxed when people get irate about Michigan, Ohio State fans and the ilk versus, say, Oklahoma or Texas fans.
  12. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    If Cam Newton hadn't left, we wouldn't be having this discussion IMO. Urban would still be coaching here, competing for SEC and national titles.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    So you admit that, because of your youth, you lack perspective. I'm down with that.
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    I think I'm saying my perspective is tempered by modernity. If you - for example - spent 20 years watching a team dominate while yours didn't, it's easy to see how one might start to carry a grudge.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    The tone is a little unfair imo. Most people see what Meyer did for what it was. But lets be honest, Foley had enough to do with the way things went at the end of Meyer's affiliation as well. Do you really think he forced Foley to write a one million dollar check? Maybe Meyer shouldn't have accepted the money but really, who is it on?

Meyer's been exposed and we have two NCs. That's enough. I think Ohio State has the chance to be better in the next few years than this past season. The one thing that might keep Meyer from winning a NC there is they play cupcakes the entire season and even if they go undefeated or are a one loss entrant into the playoff they then have to play real teams and probably get eliminated anyway. A couple seasons of that and he's in the hot seat.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,264
    From personal experience there's only a few fan bases I've been exposed to where there is a significant percentage of truly obnoxious folks who just don't know how to behave in public... West Virginia, Ohio State (regional thing with WVU?), Canes, and pre-90s Dawg fans.

Every fan base has an obnoxious subset. Some like Bama and Notre Dame tend to be overly entitled and arrogant, and can be annoying for that reason. It is fun to see them lose when they've already crowned themselves as invincible. And lord knows we've had fans have bad experiences with Noles and various SEC brethren, but I don't think those experiences represent significant percentages of those fan bases.

The ones I listed above have a higher percentage of fans that just go over the top in antagonizing, harassing, and sometimes physically attacking other fans.

On the flip side, some fan bases are just better than most others. I was very impressed with Nebraska fans before, during, and after that beat down they put on us in the Fiasco bowl. They came out in force and were very loud and positive for their team, but not at all negative or derogatory towards us. They were also pretty knowledgeable about the game.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    Had the chance to meet Mr. Youngblood while I was a freshman in high school. He was a skinny, 215 pound freshman living in Yon Hall at the time. He came back after a year and a summer of working out... totally changed man.
    As always, Youngblood DOES hit it on the head. Way too many things that were done and said by Meyer that just did not pass the sniff test. And that is putting it mildly. He was spot on regarding Sherman from Seattle too.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    But this isn't a team-specific phenomenon. People are people. There is just as high a percentage of awful Gator fans as there are awful Ohio State fans. I know if feels wrong to say that, but we need to remove bias sometimes.

What often happens is you get a flood of new "fans" when a team is doing well, increasing the total number and thus the likelihood of exposure to the "bad" ones.

The notion that fans of team X are good and fans of team Y are bad is absolutely silly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +149
    Modernity? The teams up north (tosu,Mich, Notre Dame...) have always had a very superior attitude especially when it come to southern teams, the SEC in particular. Yet in the vast majority of times over the past 20 years the south rules. The aformentioned teams,especially ND, receive way too much publicity and worship from the media then they deserve and haven't been relevant outside their conferences in years. Urban sizes up the talent already on a team he has targeted and jumps in , wins games and then moves on when the principal stars (Alex Smith, Timmy ) move on. He's an opportunist first class and has no ability to be sincere. Thus"Urban Liar" is his call sign forever after.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,721
    Well yeah, that's my point entirely. If you spent the 70s and 80s watching those teams gloat, I can see how it would be hard to not hold a grudge.
    • Agree Agree x 2