It's Time: FSU to the SEC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFnuts, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Piggybacking on the posts provided by wormwood, I remember having a debate about FSU's schedule in the 90s compared to a "SEC" schedule with an Auburn fan. I remember bringing up 1993, since it was the year Auburn went undefeated.

Florida State played 6 teams with winning records, including 5 ranked teams during the regular season in 1993.

Auburn played 2 teams with a winning record in 1993, including 2 ranked teams during the 1993 regular season.

Not every SEC schedule is built the same.
  2. zanesville

zanesville Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    The good thing is that the 1992(?) decision to go to the Acc will, likely, cost them a shot to play for the BCS because of the weak Acc.
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    Why?

Because they've finally had a good season?

A number of us here have said you'd see fsu have a couple of good years at times with the right mixture of talent and that's what is happening there right now. Lets see them do this over the next five years and maybe we'll consider another offer they'll probably back out of again.
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Pretty much. I also think they like being in a pansy conference.
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    Hell no.... Never
  6. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    "Recruiting territories" is highly over-rated. Since Muschamp came from Texas and the conference added Texas A&M, how many players have we signed or come close to signing out of the state of Texas?

I get the tv markets thing when it comes to the new SEC Network and would love to see a school from NC and VA join. But if we can't get them, FSU is big enough national brand where I think an exception could be made. They may not affect the value of the SEC Network deal that is based on # of cable subscribers but they absolutely would affect the Tier 1 deal with CBS as they would have access to games like FSU vs Bama/Georgia/etc for their SEC Game of the Week.
  7. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Yes, we play FSU every year and they play us every year. That wouldn't change so that's a wash. What I am comparing is FSU's ACC schedule + potential ACC Title Game vs an FSU SEC schedule + potential SEC Title Game. Do you disagree that it would be easier to finish in the top four playing in the ACC?

Tennessee has historically been a top six SEC program. They won't be this bad forever. Butch seems to be doing OK and they beat South Carolina this year. Our game in Knoxville next year won't be easy. And I did list them last in that group, as our sixth toughest SEC game out of eight. Who are FSU's 4th-6th toughest ACC games?

Tougher than playing Alabama '12, LSU '11, Auburn '10, Alabama '09, Alabama '08, etc from the west in Atlanta for the SEC Title Game? FSU would absolutely draw a tougher CCG opponent more often than not in the SECCG vs the ACCCG.
  8. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    for the record the only handful the gators had against miami was a handful of themselves. Miami was lucky UF was so charitable with the ball that day or they probably get their doors blown off

The FSU/Miami game went exactly as expected. UM is the most overrated top 10 ever
  9. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I know this is a popular myth to regurgitate over and over on various message boards but not once has anyone ever shown even a shred of proof that such an agreement actually exists. Also, UGA/USC have nothing to worry about as GaTech/Clemson have no shot. FSU is a much bigger national tv draw. If UGA and USC were OK with FSU getting into the SEC, they aren't going to vote "no" just because they think that Florida would then vote for GaTech or Clemson to also join. Those schools would never have enough conference-wide support with or without UF's vote.
  10. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Doesn't look to be the case as Oregon is down 20-0. If they hold on, FSU will control their own destiny for the BCS Title Game. And it will only get easier for them starting next year when they expand the current playoff from just two to four teams.
  11. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I disagree. To get to the championship game they will have to go through non she she teams
  12. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Irrespective of ACC vs SEC scheduling, I would like to see how FSU fares with keeping 85 healthy scholarship athletes playing an 8-game SEC schedule. FSU only has to prepare for a couple defensive fronts with 300-pound behemoths (Miami and sometimes Clemson), whereas every SEC defensive front has 300-pound, almost NFL-quality monsters. FSU would still be a good SEC team, but I think they would have injuries piled up just like Florida and Georgia and would have a harder time staying in the top 5 BCS rankings. Minus the injuries, this team is just as good on defense and slightly worse on offense as the 2012 team that went 11-2. Throw in 9 season-ending injuries, 22 players missing games, and 6 players being suspended and it would be tough for any team to do well. Besides, if the SEC goes to a 9-game conference schedule, the Gators will have to consider dropping the FSU game, or FSU is going to have to come to the SEC in order to be fair. FSU is not going to leave the ACC just to make it fair for Florida to live with a 9-game conference schedule, so something has to give.
  13. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    During re-alignment did any of those 3 get chose or invited to the SEC? there's your proof.
  14. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    My dear gator brethren, if you'll indulge me a few minutes, I have to get on my soap box that is fsu:

My blatant dislike for fsu necessitates that 1) I hope that NOTHING good happens for fsu and 2) all things bad happen to fsu!

I can't stand georgia however there are only 3 reasons I will ever pull for georgia.
    1) If ti helps Florida in its pursuit of a championship.
    2) if the mutts play fsu.
    3) if the mutts play ohio state.
    NOTE: if fsu and osu ever play each other, I hope Bane from the "dark Knight rises" pulls the same number off on the stadium which fsu and osu are playing in much like he did to the stadium in gotham...and i hope jimbo, bobby, and benedict meyer are in the same press box as the mayor!

I don't even like the fact that fsu infests..yes, i said infests!! the same state as my beloved University of Florida..I am convinced if the state had an enima, the tube wouls most definitely be stuck in the 50 yard line ant doak campbell stadium!

In short, I want to share NOTHING with them, I want NOTHING to benefit them and that includes our conference!

I would much rather hell freeze over in orange and blue ice than to see them benefit at anything!

now perish the thought of those low lifes EVER being associated with us!! If this sounds condescending, i have done my job well!!!

Thank you and "IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER WE ALL STICK TOGETHER..FOR F-L-O-R-I-D-A"....SCREW THE NOLES!!!!!!!
  15. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    That's not proof of anything. There are a lot of other schools who didn't get invited to the SEC either. Does that prove that we have a gentlemen's agreement to keep all of those schools out as well?
  16. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    can you prove that they don't? if it made so much sense why didn't they invite them during realignment? by all means please share.
  17. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    f$u into the sec? ummmmmmmmmmmm NO!
  18. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I'm not the one claiming that there is some sort of gentleman's agreement between UF/UGA/USC so the burden of proof is on you. The fact that FSU wasn't invited in the last wave of expansion doesn't prove that there is an agreement like that in place. Do you think that the fact that we didn't invite a school from the state of NC proves that the SEC AD's have an agreement in place to never invite a school from NC?

Perhaps Texas A&M and Mizzou were simply the best available candidates that were willing to come at the time. In the next wave of expansion, if the SEC wants to go to 16 then perhaps FSU ends up being one of the two best candidates that are available and willing to come, especially none of the NC/VA schools want to come.
  19. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Will never happen...time will prove me right.
  20. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +765
    A 'gentleman's agreement' requires gentlemen.

There are no gentlemen associated with UGA.

Ergo, no 'gentleman's agreement' is even possible. ;)