It's Time: FSU to the SEC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFnuts, Nov 7, 2013.

1. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I know, I know, we don't want FSU to get the financial benefit of being in the SEC, it wouldn't bring in a "new market" for the SEC Network, they had their chance in 1992 but declined, etc. I'm aware of all of the reasons we should technically be against it. But here's the deal. Whether we want to admit it or not, FSU is "back." By that I mean, their roster is loaded and it is the 90's again where they can ride a weak ACC schedule to easy top four finishes. See 1987-2000. When you have just 2-3 real games a year, it's a huge advantage in the Natty race. And now that we're moving to the four-team playoff, their path to playing for a national championship just got easier as there will be more margin for error. Meanwhile, we are soon going to be playing a nine-game SEC schedule + FSU + potential SEC Championship Game to to get into that same four-team playoff. All else being equal, which program do you think is going to get into that playoff more often?

We currently lead them in the national championship department 3-2. That lead means more to me as a fan than whatever financial benefit they would get from being in our conference. Some say that we don't want FSU in the SEC because of recruiting. Really? Look at their recruiting classes already. Hard to see recruiting for them going any better than it already is. If anything, playing in the SEC will lead to more losses, less playoff appearances, and lower perception of the actual strength of the program. That perceived strength is inflated when you feast on an ACC schedule. And making the playoffs while playing an ACC schedule more often than not will only help their recruiting. At least in the SEC they would face stiffer competition. Their road to a playoff appearance wouldn't be quite as easy. Our roads would be the exact same.

As for our own road, nothing would change as we play them already anyways. Might as well make it an SEC East game. As a fan, how exciting would it be to have our version of the Iron Bowl, an in-state rival that is also a division game that could once in a while act as an SEC East Title Game and determine who goes to Atlanta? If FSU is an SEC game, perhaps it allows us to schedule a home and home OOC game against other big name programs once a blue moon. In regards to TV money, I know it's not a "new market" but I have to think that CBS would be willing to step up our deal if it meant access to games like FSU-BAMA, FSU-UGA, FSU-LSU, etc. I really would like to know if there's any truth to the rumor that we (UF) are against this move and if so, I think we should reconsider. I hope that the SEC eventually goes to 16 and that FSU is part of that plan. They should be in the SEC East over Mizzou.
  2. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    R U nuts ? Screw that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    Ain't no one leaving the ACC now...

That door got slammed shut and double locked.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,596
    Too many bloody Mary's?
  5. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I just threw up in my mouth
  6. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    The "no's" were predictable, but does anyone care to offer any specific reasons? For example, do you honestly think their recruiting would improve with an SEC patch on their jerseys over how they are recruiting already? Or is it more of an ego thing so that we can brag about being in the SEC and make fun of them playing an ACC schedule?

Would your mind ever change after they have a few 0-1 loss seasons that get them into the four-team playoff while we have 2-3 loss seasons that keep us out...ultimately resulting in them passing us in # of national championships?
  7. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +840
    They had their chance.....
  8. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Down the road, after coaches salaries hit $2 Mil per game played, and after the players go on multiple strikes, I think conferences might implode on themselves in a sea of projected revenues that never happened and teams like WVU will look to form tight alliances with teams near them and they will actually play each other every year in all sports.

UF doesn't play Bama every year which is a shame.

14 team conferences are great for the all important money grab but little by little even schools with amazing fan bases like UF are seeing some empty seats in the stadiums.

Only one team will win the SEC this year and 13 teams won't. Go back to 9 team leagues and kick out schools that don't fit like Vandy and Duke and let them line up with Rice and Stanford in a high SAT league of sorts.

The SEC doesn't need two schools from Mississippi or Tennessee. Tighten it up. If the implosion were to happen and the deck got reshuffled then I would hope FSU and UF ended up in the SEC and Miami got tossed into the alternative league, the ACC I guess.

It would be nice but the reality is what we have today.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Yes, that would be perfect.
  10. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    So it's a shame UF doesn't play Bama every year? What about LSU? Or Fsu? Our non-east Sec schedule and non conference are fine how they are, and plenty difficult. Im not sure I'm understanding what you meant by that.
  11. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    What I mean is this:

If I was CFB czar I'd scrap everything and start over. Each conference team would play 8 conference games, everyone else in the conference, every year. Conference champs would go to the playoffs. There would be 4 non-conference games per year for a total of 12 regular season games per year.

The SEC would be:

UF
    FSU
    UGA
    So Car
    Clemson
    Bama
    Auburn
    Etc.

At work, will have to do the rest later. Vandy and Miss St. would be kicked out of the SEC. UNC might be in. I only have 9 slots so it would be tough. KY would get kicked out. Look at a map. KY doesn't belong in the SEC.
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    yep, you're nuts all right.
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Is the SEC going to have to pay the huge buyout that fsu will have if they decide to leave the conference? What if fsu joins the SEC and loses several games a year? How attractive are they then? They've played in the weak ACC for years and this is the first time in a decade they have been considered an elite, title contending program. I think they are a good team, but while everyone dispises Ohio State for their weak schedule, for some reason fsu's comparable weak schedule doesn't seem to be hurting them. Clemson is vastly overrated as is scum. If they get a shot at the NC against a team with a coach that has been there before, they will get seal clubbed.
  14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,465
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,956
    You make too much out of the ACC schedule. Right now, there is only one team that would legitimately give FSU a battle, and that is Alabama. The Noles would roll through most other teams the same as they are rolling though the ACC.

Remember, Clemson beat a full strength Georgia team this year, and beat LSU in the bowl game last year (yes, I know, LSU didn't care). Florida State embarrassed a Miami team that beat us (yes, I know, we gave it away).

The ego thing are fans bragging over the SEC, not the players or coaches.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,956
    I would say that FSU's schedule would be about in the middle of the pack among SEC teams most years. It isn't Florida's schedule, mind you, but neither is the rest of the SEC, as Georgia, USCe, and Mizzou doesn't have to play LSU and FSU every year. Tennessee has an annual powerhouse, but no regular OOC powerhouse.

And the notion that Clemson and Miami are overrated is utter nonsense.
  17. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
  18. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    Yes he is. didn't you see his screen name???
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +925
    I thought it was more appropriate to have them and Miami in our conference prior to the expansion of the playoffs, but now that the expansion has begun, I think it will end up being easier to reward teams for their strength of schedule. A 1-loss ACC team is typically going to have more trouble than a 1-loss SEC team (given current metrics). When the playoffs expand again (and they will), a 2-loss ACC team is going to have more trouble than a 2-loss SEC team.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  20. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +571