It is going to be hard to throw on the Gators this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcmhhT3WcU

On VH3 interception we were in Dime 6 DB's 4 DL and 1 LB.

The 1 Linebacker was Neron Ball. At the snap of the ball Neron drops back to play deep safety and Marcus May fills his LB role on D. Maye should have actually gotten the interception.

What was most impressive to me was Neron Balls ability to run and cover. On another play he covered a WR/RB on wheel route step for step.

I expected the defense to be as good if not better than last year but the one major question I had was how would the LB's cover. Ball's performance yesterday makes me feel much better about the situation
  2. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    It was against Toledo
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    How does that change the fact that Ball can cover the deep middle of the field like a Mike in the Tampa 2?
  4. c_gator24

c_gator24 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Toledo had a really good offense.

John 14:6
  5. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    And Maye looks like our next eraser.
  6. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Ignore GA. He's a Nole in disguise.
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Sure, it was Toledo, but the Rockets probably have a better passing game than half the teams in the SEC. Also, consider that we were minus two of our best athletes on defense, Morrison and Purifoy. Had to like what we saw yesterday.

The big question is, can our defensive front get the push they got against a MAC line against an SEC line? If we can, then this defense will be every bit as good as last season's.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Going into the season the major concerns were how we would play against the run vs 2back teams and how we would cover at the LB position. One of those things I feel real good about now
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I also wonder if the staff will try and get VH3 some reps at the nickle during the off week, He is probably better than Poole and that would help us get the best players on the field
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,593
    Seeing Ball's performance yesterday was like having Jelani Jenkins back for one more year, but four inches taller. Maye is a bit like Elam. Hargreaves looks like a combination of Reggie Nelson and Joe Haden. I don't know who Riggs reminds me of, but he's always exactly where he needs to be. Too many names to name in the secondary. Might be the deepest of all time.
  11. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Riggs ability to cover the slot as well as he does is a luxury. I'm interested to see how well he tackles against some of the more physical offenses that we'll line up against, but I liked what I saw from him yesterday. The rotation of him, Gorman, Maye and Neal is solid. Also take into account that these guys are trained to play multiple positions. We'll see plenty of Hargreaves and Poole. It's a deep secondary. You wonder just who the five/six best guys are back there.

I was also impressed with Ball's ability to cover yesterday. One thing that hasn't changed, is the level of athleticism across the board on defense. We aren't sure how physical this unit is going to be against teams like LSU, Carolina and Georgia on the road, but Florida can flat-out fly. I don't know if anybody saw the two plays where Easley and Orr were running stride for stride with the running backs they were trying to chase down, but I couldn't believe they can move as well as they do-particularly Orr at his size.

And just think about what this unit will look like when it is mixing it up schematically. That is a fast defense.
  12. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Strange, I hate getting caught up in the moment and making asinine comments, but I can't ever remember a unit as deep-and fast across the board-as this one. Try to name the six best players back there. What people don't realize, is that we're going to be in the nickel/dime well over half the time on defense. My only concern is how well our safeties will tackle against the more physical units we'll go up against.

FY1 on Ball: He can get to the quarterback, too. That was his specialty coming out of high school.
  13. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    The same toledo team everyone was bragging about how great their offense was this year and blah blah blah blah blah