Israel's Netanyahu: We Will Not Let Iran Get Nukes Even if We Stand Alone

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +519
    What a Leader sounds like.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/10/01/Israels-Netanyahu--We-will-not-let-Iran-get-nukes

Israel's prime minister declared Tuesday that his country will never allow Iran to get nuclear weapons, even if it has to act alone, and he dismissed the Iranian president's "charm offensive" as a ruse to get relief from sanctions.

Benjamin Netanyahu told the U.N. General Assembly that Israel's future is threatened by a "nuclear-armed" Iran seeking its destruction. He urged the international community to keep up biting sanctions against Iran, saying the greater the pressure, the greater the chance for diplomacy to succeed.

Netanyahu accused Iranian President Hassan Rouhani of masterminding Iran's strategy to advance the country's nuclear weapons program and said his goal was the same as his hard-line predecessor, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing. Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing," Netanyahu said.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    Ok. Notice he's drawing a "red line" and also calling for sanctions and allowing diplomacy to potentially succeed. Now, where have I heard that before?
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    Let him have at it.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,736
    Better he than me.
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    he is calling on the US to close the loopholes that allow Iran to export oil.

is anybody against that? it should have been done long ago.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,736
    Wait, why should Iran be prevented from exporting oil?
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    Good question. Just because we say so and Israel wants it?
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    because

Iran is world's largest sponsor of terrorism

Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons that they could give to Hezbollah who would gladly put it on a container ship to NY Harbor or smuggle into Israel with no way to trace it back to Iran

Iran with a nuke starts a nuclear arms race in the ME where it is inevitable that some hothead will use one and start a cascading nuclear demolition of that part of the world
    Iranian ayatollah is a quack

and eliminating their source of funding is the best way to eliminate their sponsorship of terrorism

need I go on or is NY, Tel Aviv and the ME being nuked enough?
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    Yet not one of the 9/11 hijackers came from there. However 15 of the 19 came from our "ally" Saudi Arabia.

What purpose would that serve other than to get their country turned into glass? And what proof do you have they intend on doing so?

Israel alreadys has nukes. Last time I checked they were in the Mideast

Good, then why we are at it let's stop SA's exporting too.

All conjecture.
  10. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,305
    I've covered that on this board before. Suffice it to say: it's tied in with their religious beliefs--which says that the Mahdi will return and usher in "peace on earth" and a unified caliphate (presumably under Iranian rule)...but only after a period of great violence and unrest in the Middle East.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    I've read it but don't really buy the argument. Not that what you are saying is not integral with their beliefs so much as it just doesn't fit in with their recent history. Their rhetoric maybe but not their actions.
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    His red line means something. Obama... is a liar.
  13. imagatorholic

imagatorholic VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    In the Koran it is written that it is perfectly OK to lie and commit other unethical acts if it is in the interest of vanquishing the enemies of their faith (everyone who is not Muslim). You cannot put any stock in what they say and certainly should consider the worst case scenario and that is that the right person in power can and very may will trip the Armageddon trigger and truly believe that is is "Allah's will" even if everyone perishes.

Fanatical thinking but it is truly part of their deepest core belief system and when logic and common sense are not in play with those who have nuclear capability everyone should be scared...it's coming and one day the powder keg will ignite.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,736
    I don't think this is really quantified anywhere. We don't stop Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Pakistan from competing in the global market.

The solution here is to not buy Iranian origin oil and push on other countries to do the same.

I find these scare tactics insulting, honestly.
  15. leogator

leogator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I'm certainly happy we have moved beyond the neocons' kiss Israel's behind every chance we get foreign policy. We have already taken one potential threat out for them (see Gulf War). We spend trillions of dollars we had to borrow and hundreds of thousands of lives. Now they want us to do it to Iran? No, thanks Israel! We are bankrupt.
  16. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,305
    The 12th Imam (the Mahdi) is as integral to the Shia faith as the return of Christ is to the Christian faiths. That shouldn't even be something one questions.

When prominent voices and figures in Iran--who are connected or financed by the religious council--are the ones publicly proclaiming they can "usher in the return" of the Mahdi, people tend to take them seriously.

Whether they intend to use a nuke to start widespread chaos in the ME or if it's their insurance policy to prevent crippling attacks against them if they use conventional and unconventional attacks to sow chaos in the ME is anyone's guess.

One thing is for certain though: a central tenant of their faith involves there being chaos in the ME to bring forth their savior.

Not something anyone should take lightly.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,459
    Twelver Shi'ism is certainly a bit, nutty perhaps, seeming in its beliefs, but I'm not sure it's necessarily a reason to take the approach that we always have to be deathly afraid of its proponents.

In no small part, because it's the exact same argument that Islamists use to explain why western Christians can't be trusted in the Middle East peace process (essentially the argument about Christian Zionism, that everyone knows you can't trust Christians to negotiate in good faith about the Jerusalem issue because everyone knows they just want to bulldoze the Al-aqsa Mosque so that the Jews can build the Third Temple and Jesus will come back).
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Try again leo. We went into the Gulf War because Iraq was about to invade Saudi Arabia as it worked its way through Kuwait. And for decades we had the deal with the Saudis that we will provide you national defense if you provide us with cheap oil. The Saudis called us to meet our end of the deal when Kuwait was invaded.

And, in case you missed it, the reason Iraq didn't have nuclear weapons was because Israel went it alone against them.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,736
    And of course Israel gave millions and millions of dollars of support to Iran in the 80s, too.
  20. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,305
    Agreed...it's central tenants are pretty troubling to say the least. When one considers that the rulers of Iran are staunch proponents AND it's actively driven their foreign policy to date, sorry, I'm not as casually dismissive of it.

Why else has Iran and it's proxies taken such a militant approach to fighting Israel all over the world? Even Egypt and the Syrians have given up on it decades ago. The reason is simple: they want to be the ones "doing something" about Israel. Proving their faith is superior and that the Sunni leaders of the Arab countries are corrupt Western lackies.

Yes, I'm aware of the counter argument. One could obviously understand there's even evidence to support it. Thank you for posting it so that the counter is at least heard.