Israel Builds Sinai Border Fence; Illegal Crossings Drop 99.9%

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +625
    Let's see...You build a fence on your border and illegal entry plummets... interesting...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...-New-Border-Fence-Illegal-Crossings-Drop-99-9

This week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has touted the success of a new border fence that Israel built along its boundary with Egypt to stop illegal infiltrators. In a statement posted at his government website, Netanyahu reported that illegal crossings had declined 99.9%, from 2,000 per month to only two.

"The fence that we built in the south is achieving the result for which it was erected," Netanyahu said. "As opposed to the over 2,000 infiltrators who entered Israel exactly one year ago and dispersed to various cities, in May 2013 exactly two infiltrators crossed the border and were detained. Now we need to focus on repatriating the illegal infiltrators who are here, and we will meet this task as well."
  2. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It really is shocking.

End Sarcasm.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    We need to repatriate the illegals in this country. It would be cheaper and better for the country in the long run to get these criminals out of the country.
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    This is precisely why a fence will never be built.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Or we can offer a path to citizenship, and then they won't be criminals.
  6. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    So let's just change laws so we don't have criminals. Hell, just illinate all laws then the prison system won't be overloaded either. Most logical thing stated on THFSG in years!!!!
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Lets looks at that border and the US/Mexico border on a map and see where building a giant fence is more practical.
  8. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,332
    Way more important than the length of the border, look at the prevailing political culture -- Israel's doesn't want illegal crossings, and America's does. Border length? The old Soviets didn't want people traipsing back and forth across the Iron Curtain. Were quite emphatic about in fact. Didn't seem to be an issue.
  9. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Sarcastic insult noted.

However, you'll be encouraged to reread my post to note that I never said anything about "all laws". It was this particular law. I happen to think our aversion to immigration is completely misguided, and getting to claim "I just want to end illegal immigration" is a very convenient way to justify one's bias with law. Especially because many of these same people rail against other laws, but you never hear them say anything like "I just want to end illegal abortions". I wonder why not.

Any quick witted insults to answer that one, agman?
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    I wouldn't discount the shear magnitude of the border, but the free(ish) flow of cheap labor has always been something we've relied on here.
  11. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    All I have Rade is that according to Webster's when using the term illegal, a law has been broken, therefore creating criminals. I have a problem with rewarding past criminals without some sort of consequences.
    Can we ship them all back, probably not, do we need to figure out who they are and deal with them, yes we do, but I have always been taught if you stop beating your head against the wall the headache will go away. If we don't somehow secure the boarders and allow for a path to citinzenship do you not believe we will just encourage even more criminal activity with more entering the country?
    Let's do our best to stop/reduce illegal entry then we can discuss what to do with who is here.
  12. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +774
    But what if the outcome of increased immigration is actually not only very beneficial for the US, but even the practice preserves the liberty of private enterprise that those on the right so revere?
  13. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    I have no problem with increased immigration, as long as we control it. Increased by not policing boarders, I don't believe is good for anyone, except the criminals ilegally crossing.
  14. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,332
    Don't forget the outright slave labor -- more persons are held in slavery in the US today than were at any point in her history prior. And almost all of them are marched across that yawning, gaping border. Probably at gunpoint near Nogales, for instance. Open border America is pro-slavery America.
  15. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Well, US citizens enjoy cheaper agriculture and non-skilled service goods. But I am not advocating illegal immigration as a permanent solution. I just think these people bring value to us. And clearly we bring value to them.
  16. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Lol, you took those words out of my mouth.
  17. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Unless I am mistaken, there is a legal path to citizenship as well as legal resident/ worker status. Problem is majority don't take that route.

It's almost like some believe that all undocumented are solid members of society, they aren't. Many are, but a large number are counter productive to the goals of society, see drugs, gang activity, costs of education and healthcare, social services,and entitlements, and on and on.

By the way I am also against illegal abortion, in fact abortion as a means of contraception.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Always interesting that immigration inspires such statements from otherwise ardent free marketers. One of many difficult to reconcile contradictions in recent conservative thought.
  19. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +774
    I believe there is technically a legal path, but in practice this doesn't really exist for unskilled labor - and is even difficult for skilled labor. Heck my wealthy British friend is having trouble getting a green card, and his wife is American.

Clearly we cannot allow everyone from the world to move here and instantly be granted entitlements supported by American workers, but I do think there is tremendous upside to just allowing them to move here. In my opinion, we need to figure out a work around for this.
  20. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    No, they would still be criminals. They broke the law to get here. That won't change, no matter how delusional Congress is.