Is USA Soccer Good, or Faking it?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,553
    Of course when I stop watching (daughter came home from school) they start going ham. I'll tune back in
  2. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +2,553
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Nice goal by Altidore, that was a thing of beauty.

AND ANOTHER GOAL!!! WOW, I tuned back in at the right time.
  3. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +2,553
    What a great comeback, US wins 4-3. When was the last time we came back from behind against a team from Europe?
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    Been following the game on gamecast (stuck at work), but recording it. May just FF through the first half so I can watch the Jozy show in the 2nd.
  5. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The Jozy show is worth watching!!!!

JA's 1st goal was pure premier striker stuff...

His Free Kick wasn't too shabby either! :grin:

Great 2nd Half
  6. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Dempsey and Donovan were/are better players but Altidore might be the first truly top level could play another sport in the US and excel at it type of athlete we've had- dude's built like a LB.
  7. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Actually pretty excited to play Mexico in Columbus- they'll be desperate and might bring it The way this teams coming together- sure they haven't beaten top level competition but what if this is like a Butler team in March, we just know how to win and are hot I mean the Brazil's less than a year out at this point right, I could see us making it past the first or second knockout game.
  8. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +2,553
    Is Bosnia considered a good team?
  9. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Based on Fifa's rankings, Bosnia is 13th and the US is 19th. Bosnia has Dzeko who is a world class striker. They are not a true European power but they have been playing well lately. They missed the last WC because they lost to Portugal in the WC playoff round. Solid win especially considering it was in Sarajevo.
  10. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    When is our next game?
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,785
    If he is in the box near the ball, the keeper is sweating. He gets off very quick, quality strikes in tight spaces.

One of the best. For sure.

Definitely a good win in Sarajevo as you point out.
  12. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +643
    September 6th, World Cup Qualifier at Costa Rica. For a full schedule, you can always go here. Use the pull down menu if you want to just see the men's schedule.
  13. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Altidore has confidence right now and that makes him a very dangerous man.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Ummm, he's 6'1" 175.
  15. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Yeah, but he plays a sport that sees him burn calories like a mo-fo, would be closer to 6'1" 200 if he played football, which he absolutely could as a receiver/safety type.

Jozy is such a solid athlete that even at that weight, he looks physically more impressive than our starting corners, who are of similar height, heavier and yet... don't look nearly as imposing physically.
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Thank you, sir! :D
  17. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/12/u-s-mens-national-team-up-six-spots-to-no-13-in-fifa-world-rankings/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

U.S. Men’s National Team up six spots to No. 13 in FIFA World Rankings

Mike Prindiville

Sep 12, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT

The strong form of the United States Men’s National Team has skyrocketed the Yanks to No. 13 in September’s version of the FIFA World Rankings.

The rankings are based on the USMNT’s 4-3 victory in Bosnia-Herzegovina and the 3-1 loss at Costa Rica. They do not, however, count Tuesday’s 2-0 victory over Mexico, which will be factored into October’s rankings.

The 13th place ranking is a six spot improvement from last month and represents the USMNT’s highest ranking since holding the 13th spot back in July 2010. It also hands the Stars & Stripes top honors in the CONCACAF region as Mexico’s poor form drops them one place to No. 21, Costa Rica shoot up nine spots to No. 33, Panama rise five spots to No. 35, Honduras move three notches to No. 40 and Jamaica fall two places to No. 78.

At the top of the table Spain hold on to the No. 1 spot while CONMEBOL’s top team, Argentina, move up two places to No. 2, taking over for Germany who fall to No. 3. A resurgent Italy climb two spots to No. 4 while Colombia fall two notches to No. 5. Rounding out the Top 10 are Belgium, Uruguay, Brazil, Netherlands and Croatia.

The six point climb by Jurgen Klinsmann’s men is the largest move of any Top 20 team. Other big movers are Sweden’s eight point jump that lands them at No. 22, Slovenia’s sixteen point boost taking them to No. 29 and Bob Bradley’s Egypt team moving up eleven points to No. 50.
  18. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    First, I love beating Mexico. It made my day brighter. I got to walk into my colleagues office and his head just dropped. Great day. That said, this Mexico side sucks. They are struggling mightily right now. Through 8 games in CONCACAF qualifying, they have something like 4 goals. Pathetic for a team with their skill level compared to their opponents. A 2-0 victory is only par for the course given their terrible form.

Second, a 2-0 victory against any decent team without Altidore, Bradley, and others is a very solid result. Costa Rica dominated the US but the US rebounded very well for being so short handed. Excellent result and it does indicate there is increasing depth. We still haven't identified Donovan/Dempsey part 2 (both might be playing in their last World Cups) so there is concern for the future but I was pretty happy with the performance.

Third, I finally concede Klinsmann might be the right guy. The team was very inconsistent for this first 1.5 years but things have been very bright since the Spring. I think the US is playing as well as they ever have and that includes '02 and '09-10.

I am reluctantly going to skip the 2014 WC. I want to go very badly. My fear is Brazil is not a great place to watch the WC because the country is so large and there are very few good ways around the country. In the US, worst case you fly to a city 4 hours away and rent a car. I am not sure the highway system and air network in Brazil will allow for such an idea.

All-in-all, the US is looking very good right now and if we get a lucky draw in December we might make some noise.
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    By "office" do you mean construction site? :ninja:
  20. AzCatFan

Ratings Received:
    +643
    13th sounds about right. We should get out of the group stage in Brazil unless we get stuck in a Group of Death with two Euro clubs and Argentina/Brazil. Beyond that, any win in the knock-out stage is gravy. We have the talent to beat any team on any given day, but I don't see us winning 4 straight.

I wanted Klinsmann years ago. Yes he struggled at the start, but his system is certainly paying off now. I believe Klinsmann is the only coach on the planet with the international credentials and knowledge/understanding of the American system (lived in the US for years) to successfully marry both. I hope we can retain Klinsmann through the 2018 World Cup cycle.

Last but not least, while we haven't identified the next Donovan/Dempsey, we have a lot of young players with the potential to step up starting after the 2014 Cup. Diskerud is 22, Joe Corona is 23, Jozy is only 23, Aron Johannsson is 22, and Omar Gonzalez is 24. Throw in Brad Guzan at 29, and when the 2018 WC rolls around, Guzan will be in is goaltending prime at 34, and the rest will be all under 30. Not a bad group of players to build a core around, and I hope guys like Diskerud and Johnasson can move up competition levels in Europe in the next few years, and really hone their games.