Is USA Soccer Good, or Faking it?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    U.S. midfielder Holden tears ACL
    By The Sports Xchange | The SportsXchange – Mon, Jul 29, 2013 9:00 PM EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-midfielder-holden-tears-acl-000034637--mls.html

Stuart Holden's health woes go on.

The U.S. international midfielder, who missed most of the previous two years due to right knee injuries, tore the right anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Sunday during the CONCACAF Gold Cup final. Holden was subbed off in the first half, and the U.S. went on to beat Panama 1-0.

Holden, whose club team is England's Bolton Wanderers, wrote on his Twitter page, "I will rise again! Big love and thx to all the @officialbwfc and @ussoccer supporters, we will conquer once more. Lets do this #noholdenback"

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said in a statement released by the national soccer federation, "We are absolutely devastated for Stuart. He is such a great part of our team on the field and the locker room. He worked tremendously hard to recover from previous injuries and had really come back into form. He was fully prepared to head back to Bolton and challenge for a starting spot. Now he will have our full support as he goes down this road again, and we will be with him every step of the way."

In March 2011, Holden's right knee was ripped apart by the studs of Manchester United's Jonny Evans. Holden briefly returned to action in September 2011, but he subsequently underwent another knee procedure that sidelined him until January 2013.

Holden, 27, appeared for the U.S. national team in 2009 and 2010 before missing the next two years. He joined the team for the lead-up to the Gold Cup this summer, and he scored a goal in a Gold Cup game against Belize.
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,554
    I'm kinda shocked that this thread has been so long and informative. I completely expected like four responses and three of them would be "what's soccer?" Thanks for the honest discussion.
  3. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Obviously a terrible story for Stuart and I wish him the best. However, I don't see this affecting the USMNT. I really don't think he was going to play a role on the pitch. He might be very value in the locker room and on the training pitch, I have no idea, but his on the field contributions would have been small in my opinion. Bolton could use him so this is a bigger loss for them.

I have been checking into USMNT games in Europe for the last year or so and every time there is a conflict. The newly scheduled game in Sarajevo would have been perfect but I now have a last minute flight to Paris and thus I have to miss it. Every time!!! Bosnia is a beautiful part of the world for those who have never been. I recommend the whole area. Serbia and Montenegro are often overshadowed by Croatia but they have a lot to offer on the natural beauty side. Plus they are much cheaper than Croatia.
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Where are you based? I've been to Croatia, Serbia, and Montenegro. Loved the area. The touristy areas of Montenegro didn't seem to be cheaper, at least by much, than Croatia. I'm certain I haven't explored the country as much as you though.

I love watching soccer overseas. I just happened to stumble into the women's world cup in China a few years back and got to watch the US Women play. I actually met a number of Gator fans as they all saw my hat.

I tried to get into Boca Juniors versus River Platte in Buenos Aires but it was sold out. I don't know if there is a bigger rivalry out there. It was fun being on the streets to see all the craziness though.
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    The USNT is on an incredible run right now--but we've dominated the region before for long stretches. It helps Mexico is in a huge funk right now, but I think there's more to it.

Beforehand, we've always been a defend and counter team--and while Klinsmann came here to "change the culture," most of our first few games with him in command were characterized by more of the same.

Lately though, there's been a distinct emphasis on possession and in controlling the pace and tempo of the game. Doing so has made our team look "prettier" and it's been very successful in the past few months. Tough teams like Panama, Honduras, and Costa Rica (three of the best in CONCACAF) were thoroughly dominated by a US team that was superior in every respect. Panama and Costa Rica might have kept the score down--but we dominated possession and they never really even threatened our goal.

I like the aggressive approach and hope Klinsmann tries it out in our last few WC qualifiers. Best thing we can do is to keep getting repetitions and familiar with the new style. Our talent pool has been boosted by a younger generation that's grown up with professional soccer becoming increasingly mainstream and a much bigger focus on attacking soccer and youth development in MLS.

It's almost crazy to think of how far soccer has come within our lifetimes--and, given the explosive growth we've seen in the past 10 years, it'll be interesting to see how much higher the bar will go.
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,043
    You insightful and well thought out post has added so much to this thread. Thank you for your valuable contribution.

:no:
  8. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    You got it! Too much practice, not enough pick up games early in our soccer players development!
    I advocate no structured practices at least until 11 yo.
  9. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +4,043
    Interesting point.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  10. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Anytime Tilly.
  11. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Currently Warsaw but I might be moving to Bucharest.

Croatia has gone up in price since the Euro based on my research and in the last couple years as Germans have found it cheaper than other places. Montenegro is still much harder to get to than Croatia as the flight connections to Podgorica and Tivat (mainly charters) are far worse than Dubrovnik and Split. Montenegro hotels can be moderately expensive and certain foods can be moderately expensive. Overall, I find it better than Croatia but I don't have a lot of experience there. You probably have spent more time than me, I only have 1 weekend in each. I traditionally visit Albania, Lithuania, Romania, Ukraine, Germany, Italy, and the UK for work plus Poland of course. I do visit other countries but only 1-3 times per year. I cover all of Europe but there are around 50 countries so it is tough to make it to them all on a frequent basis.

I have also only been to Bosnia once but it is very beautiful from a nature standpoint. I would like to go back. Albania is the least pretty of the the former Yugoslavian countries that I have visited (I haven't made it to Kosovo or FYROM). It has some redeeming qualities but I am not a big fan. Of course I spend most of my time in a small town called Fier and not Tirana or the beach towns like Vlore.

I was in Buenos Aires in 2010 on the night when Boca won the Argentine League. The party in downtown Buenos Aires was pretty cool. Traffic was a pain to say the least.
  12. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +4,043
    Just busting your chops man....I get that soccer isn't for everyone. :)

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  13. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    No problem Tilly. I was being a smart ass myself. I always say something stupid when the conversation turns to soccer. Might be due to a soccer coach I had at UF, can't remember his name. He thought the world revolved around the game. He used to make me crazy.
  14. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,415
    I am impressed with what they have done. I am still concerned with the European teams. I want to see how we do there before making judgement.
  15. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    smdh
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,639
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
  18. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    I think he should try the German league or the French league. German league he should aim for Schalke 04 and the French league he should try for Lyon. Why go back to a Sunderland level? Surely he. Can find a spot on a team looking to make it out of the knockout rounds in the CL (Celtic for instance).
  19. SirRaj

SirRaj Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    It's a shame he never made it to the Champions League. Would have loved to see him stay at Fulham and retire a legend.

The bright side of this move for the USMNT is that next year he'll be in mid-season form during the world cup, rather than exhausted post-season.

I'm excited to see how Jozy does at Sunderland. With Holden hurt and Dempsey back home the number of Yanks in the EPL took a hit.
  20. Dayman

Dayman New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    We're back baby. I love this team.