Is USA Soccer Good, or Faking it?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Jul 24, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,587
    I'm not sure what the answer is on the back line, but definitely agree with your take overall.
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    with the influx of kids that had American Service members as their fathers that can play for the US and Germany Klinsman did the right thing and called them up. Most of them wouldn't be able to play for Germany with that roster being stacked as it is and they get a chance to play international for another country that they call home.

This is like me, I was born in Germany to a German mother and American Father. My father was a first Gen American from Germany but I carried Duel citizenship until I was 21. I love both of my countries and would consider it an honor to play for both just as these four have:

Terrence Boyd (Bremen) plays for Rapid Wein (Vienna)

Jermain Jones (Frankfurt) He actually played for the Germans in 4 friendly games. On loan to Blackburn Rovers from Schalke 04

Fabian Johnson (München) TSG Hoffenheim

Timothy Chandler (Frankfurt) plays for FC Nürnburg

Alfredo Morales (Berlin, his father is Peruvian) FC Ingolstadt

They're a few others that are not American born but are legal under FIFA rules.

If Klinsman can tap into the talent in the US that are not considering football or basketball but have athleticism he will be unstoppable.

I had a huge soccer group staying at my hotel, it was a US development group and a lot of them are mixed nationality. Klinsman has pushed to have all available talent to play for him. They are trying to change style and with the talent that hasn't even been touched here in the US they are sitting on a sleeping giant.

The best part of this is that most of these players are playing in the Bundesliga or some other league in Europe. Which is better than MLS
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,451
    That must have been a great life experience, but going forward when I read your posts, should I read them with a German or American accent?? :grin:
  4. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    There is no question that US Soccer is on the rise and Klinsman has instilled a mentality that will hopefully carry on even after his time is done. Yes, the competition has not been great, but the depth, skill, creativity and knack for scoring is off the charts. To say that is fool's gold is plain silly. Are we Spain or Brazil? No, but there is no question that US Soccer is on the rise.
  5. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    [​IMG]

It's correctable.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I think we will have major issues with the European teams and Brazil. It would be nice to do well but I just don't see us advancing very far in the WC. At least we will be there which it's been a while has it not?
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Actually, the USA has been one of the few teams that has participated in every WC since 1990 (last 7). Problem is, we have only advanced out of the group stage in 1994, 2002, and 2010, and won a grand total of 1 knock-out stage game (Mexico 2002) during this time.
  8. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    obviously the competition in this part of the world, aside from mexico is, shall we say, lacking, also with mexicos struggles lends even less, have to, imo, win the gold cup, would like to see how they would do defensively with uruagay, who have 2 top strikers in cavani and luis aka mike tyson suarez.
  9. yankgator

yankgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Didn't know U.S. had a team. Must have been too busy watching a sport with such as curling.
  10. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    That's cold.
  11. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    We're not at the highest level, that's for sure. Our fans haven't started rioting and killing each other yet. I also don't think our players have killed a referee. So we have a ways to go before we're on the same level as European and Latin American soccer.
  12. c_gator24

c_gator24 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    They're good but not sure they've been playing against really good teams. All I know is Argentina and Spain are the 2 best national teams.

John 14:6
  13. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    This is a typo, right?!
  14. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Title IX has everything to do with that. To put it simply, female athletes in our country our better trained, better fit, better prepared from day 1 than women in any other country except possibly Japan right now.

When you watch the US Women's team play, they usually aren't even the most technically skilled, that belongs to Brazil and Japan, but they're simply superior athletes with superior training in an athletics system that has given them a 30 year head start. Women have been playing sports in other countries just as long, maybe even longer in the case of a place like Brazil, but not in an organized fashion with institutionalized support for development.

In an odd twist of fate, it's the exact opposite of the story of men's soccer: the US is in some ways the bedrock of Women's Soccer (and women's organized sports in general) due to Title IX.

Imagine that.
  15. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Nah, that game wouldn't have even been close had the US not subbed off its starting defenders in the late going. That was an absolute ass whooping and had the US lost to that German team 3-2 we'd all be saying that was a great showing against a lineup that could still beat 2/3rds of the world going away even with that lineup.

Instead the US took (minus the own goal) a legit 3-1 advantage into the 70th minute before subbing off defenders and allowing Edgar "no business playing the back-line" Castillo into the game.

Those guys are earning everything right now, no gimmes. Our A Team beat the hell out of the German B Team, which is a pretty good summation of where this team is at right now: they're nobody's B-Team anymore when playing at full strength.
  16. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Thanks 07 and gtj31 and everyone contributing. This has been a great thread to read.

Regarding youth coaching - I did in fact coach my son's U6 team one year, and fell into that category of clueless. However, I did study the manual, ran the drills & got them to learn the give & go. We started out terrible - losing all of our early games. By the second rotation we were competitive and started winning. Beat a team 2-1 that had crushed us 8-0 or something early on. I was as thrilled as 52-20. :)
  17. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    To use a College Football analogy, we're the Louisville of International Soccer:

- Usually around the 15th-25th best team. Occasionally higher. Occasionally lower.

- Slowly improving program with great upside potential.

- Usually not quite good enough to compete with the big boys, but capable of the occasional result.
  18. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +920
    I think the World Cup is pretty entertaining. That's really the only time I ever watch it. I don't think it's fair to compare it to baseball though. Watching baseball is torture.
  19. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    A lot of roster talk and no mention of Stuart Holden? If he's fit he's on the roster.
  20. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I don't know. To me he's been a lot more effective as a sub than as a starter playing the full 90 minutes. But maybe he's not fully fit just yet.