Is this the recovery Obama was talking about?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by theorangebluewinagain, Jul 28, 2013.

1. theorangebluewinagain

theorangebluewinagain Guest Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    He makes Jimmy Carter look like Ronald Reagan.
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Those dependent on government programs are doing just fine.
  4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    Can you guys not see past your bias to read a simple graph? Except for some sustained income growth under Clinton and Reagan the overall trend lines have been horrible since Nixon is the graph that I see..

If you take the time to draw lines around the time of each actual Administration change (61,69,77,89,89,93,01 and 09) you'll see that income growth under Nixon, each Bush and Carter was far worse than it has been under Obama, and very positive under JFK/LBJ, Clinton and Reagan

He's been a terrible president on the economy overall but lets at least be honest about what this specific graph says, there's been about a 3.5% income drop since 09 while there were double digit drops under some of the others, almost 20% under W (rough estimates because its a small graph and i think the W/O transition is tougher to pinpoint because the economy was in a transitional free fall)
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,842
    My take: the 1973 oil embargo pretty much took the wind out of the sails of real economic growth. Since then we have been spending money instead of saving and having wives work to afford what our parents could. Mostly either smoke and mirrors on an aggregate scale or just plain momentum that takes time to wind down.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,393
    I fail to see what you are talking about north
  7. theorangebluewinagain

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I think he has macular degeneration.
  8. GatorNorth

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    This is per capita disposable income growth. Spending recklessly is why our GDP grew while we were making less and living beyond our means by refinancing homes and adding credit cards. Consumer and corporate de-leveraging has been painful and stymied growth but in the long run we will be better off for it. Wish we would apply the same principles and run our various governments and public pensions the same way. Only then will we see real sustained growth.
  9. GatorNorth

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    I think you have macular bias.

Income growth levels have declined under each Administration since 1960 with 3 exceptions. Thats what the graph says, that we've been in a general slow down trend in income growth for the past 50 years save Clinton and Reagan. Just because it may have been "positive" doesn't mean it wasn't slowing down,
  10. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Obozo is the only president with overall negative income growth and trending down!.

He's following his plan. Make it so bad the people cry out for relief. I wish people had to be moderately cognitive to be able to vote.
  11. theorangebluewinagain

Ratings Received:
    +455
    Obama is very ignorant about the economy, just like many of his supporters. He has basically guaranteed our economic death spiral. You won't understand until it happens and when it does you won't really appreciate why, because you are ignorantly bias and you can't cure that. Enjoy the end game which you won't understand. Peace to you.
  12. GatorNorth

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    Like I said, he's been terrible for the economy overall, but the economic crash merely accelerated a disturbing 50+ year trend to personal income growth with limited exceptions. If seeing that problem is "ignorantly biased" of me, than maybe more of us should be.

My comments relate to a specific graph, not a referendum on his economic policies. And I've developed over a billion dollars of real estate the past 25 years and paid every borrowed penny back on time so I certainly understand how finance and the economy work. Your thinking I'm ignorant is just.....ignorant.

I get that most on this board don't like him. I don't like him. But there's more to the graph than just a couple crappy years. Income GROWTH has been in general decline for decades and in a free fall since Bush 2 took office. That its been negative the past few after a horrific crash is just a symptom of a much larger problem we have had regarding income growth the past 50 years.
  13. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Sounds like more light than heat. Keep posting.
  14. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    The gap between rich and poor has risen under Obama. Despite his rhetoric, he has not helped the poor, who are falling more and more behind. More are falling under the poverty line and going on food stamps. The work force has dramatically declined. Since he hasn't and apparently will do nothing about this situation, why don't he just shut up with complaining about the inequality gap.

Taxing the rich, as he seems to think is the solution, will not help the poor. The only thing it will do is slow the economy, even worse than it is. Jobs is the answer, and he has no solution for that.
  15. GatorNorth

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    I wish I could overlay a job growth graph on the income growth one . Would be interesting to see the correlation, if there is one. My guess there is during the peaks and valleys but not as much during times of stability but that's just a guess.
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,823
    Obama's in league with the communists and Muslim brotherhood... need we say more.

[​IMG]
  17. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    but if you want a free cellphone, you can get if from barack's people. that's progress! why work?
  18. chicogator1

chicogator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Meanwhile, I'm paying $980.00 bucks a week in taxes.
  19. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Obama's Treasury Secretary was on one of the news shows yesterday (Candy Crowley CNN) and was specifically asked if new taxes were needed. He tried to evade the question despite her best efforts to pin him down. Anyone with half a brain could read through his BS...yes he wants more taxes as does Obama...on the rich. Apparently they still don't pay enough. The tax and spend liberals just do not get....government has grown too big and is too expensive.
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,300
    the charts from the St. Louis Fed don't look quite like that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

link