Is this passing stat kept?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ces1948, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    I've been curious about this for quite sometime. Is there a stat kept on passing that shows actual amount of yards the ball traveled in the air down the field?. Seems like with all the dink and dunk and sideline stuff there is quite a bit less yards actually gained by the ball being in the air. You may say this doesn't matter and you may be right but we have a lot of disagreements around here concerning a "vertical" passing attack.
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,362
    Not to hijack but.... I really hope D Rob turns into a good YAC type of receiver. Been starving for one for a while. I like Burton's moves, but he's not exactly the fastest. Still a beast though.

Edit: the poster below me answered it. Sounds about right.
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    I believe it can be calculated by taking the total passing yards and subtracting YAC from it.
  4. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Even that does not tell the whole story SEC. A 20 yard play could have 19 YAC and if it were thrown from the left to the right side of the field could still be a long throw, just not downfield. Evidently, if it is not "vertical" it is not entertaining.
  5. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +352
    I'm just not sure under what logic this would prove relevant. Toledo is a quick lateral passing offense. Florida is not. In not sure subtracting YAC tells you anything of note when breaking down an offense. You would get more from reviewing the receivers routes then how many yards down field the QB throws the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  6. ces1948

Ratings Received:
    +270
    I would think someone is keeping up with that stat, it certainly would dictate a different defensive approach playing someone who consistently chucked the ball 10-20 yards down the field as opposed to a team that relied on short passes with yac to thrive.
  7. Zanso

Zanso Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Someone who works for another site said it was 3 yards from the line of scrimmage on average for the Toledo game.
  8. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It may be kept on an ad hoc basis by schools tracking it for a particular player. Sometimes tv stats guys keep it to give the announcer talking points. However, it is not an official statistic in the NCAA.
  9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Fields have two directions, horizontally and vertically. Both need to be stretched.

This board is seriously getting on my nerves. Do people think we need to really dissect the passing game with how many passes go vertical versus horizontal. Give me a safe pass for 15 yards with 14 of them being YAC than a tough pass for 20 yards with no YAC any day of the week.

But please continue to question the folks the UAA pay MILLIONS of dollars a year to make these decisions. I am sure Muschamp and Co appreciate your input.
  10. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    I was just thinking this the other day....when's the last time we completed a TD pass where the ball traveled over 30 yards downfield vertically?

I think it was the one to Hines that got called back against S Carolina

Before that? Maybe Riley Cooper in 2009? that's horrific...you have to at least show the threat, it gets the corners and safeties on their heels
  11. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    To the OP, I think that would be a great stat to track. I wonder why it is not tracked currently. I think fans of fantasy leagues would eat that up.
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,148
    Debose caught bombs against LSU and Bama.
  13. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It would be impossible to track that stat without instant replay. Take it a step further and now you're giving the RB credit for the rush from the point where he takes the handoff or pitch rather than when he crosses the LOS. The game is imprecise. Heck, in the age of GPS we measure down and distance with a chain tied to two sticks. Just as well, it gives us something to talk about.
  14. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Hell, I am just happy I found a 3 and out stat. Took awhile.
  15. ces1948

Ratings Received:
    +270
    My original reason for asking was not to criticize the Gator offense but how much the game itself has changed. Little dink passes to rb's and receivers are the norm now, I bet there was much more yardage gained 20 years ago with the ball actually in the air. But that's just a guess on my part as a long time college football fan.
  16. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    If they can track YAC, then they can track the distance from the line of scrimage to the point of catch by the reciever.
  17. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    Forgot about Debose...glad we never tried throwing deep to him again ...what were we thinking
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    I'm sure defensive coordinators know this kind of thing. Stretching a defense horizontally is different than vertically and certainly not mutually exclusive or lacking for benefits. If you can accomplish both you're effectively increasing the distance between defensive players and making things easier on yourself. Anyone that thinks there is nothing to this only has to look at red zone scoring. Once you start packing the defensive players into a much smaller area with no threat over the top your job becomes much harder as an offense.
  19. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    We had 2 pass plays for over 20 yards Sat...:sad: