Is Sully's job in jeopardy already?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by GreenandScaly, Mar 1, 2014.

1. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    A 5-5 start against so-so competition is not the way UF fans imagined that this season would begin.

After last year's losing season, do you think Foley is considering a new baseball coach here?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Two years ago was really getting into uf baseball, but after last year and the beginning of this year, I have lost interest. Once again anemic hitting with same hitting coach, right now I just don't see any consistency other than consistently not hitting.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    He has been to a regional 6 out of 6 years and you're ready to fire him?

I think staff changes may be in order. Sully recruits well and does a solid job with pitching. Need to hire an "offensive coordinator" of sorts to work with the hitters and run the offense.
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    McMahon got two sub-.500 seasons, so it's natural to wonder a little bit about O'Sullivan's leash. But Pat was coming off one CWS berth, while now we're just a season separated from the best three-year stretch in the program's history, so I imagine O'Sullivan gets a little more time.

But this has certainly not been an encouraging start. O'Sullivan has never been a gifted in-game manager, which is fine, as a manager's manueverings matter less than a football or basketball coach's. Recruiting is the name of the game, and getting Zunino, Tucker, Johnson, Randall and a horde of other guys on campus is to O'Sullivan's credit. But we weren't playing with a full deck of talent last season, and it doesn't look like we are this year, so O'Sullivan's in-game flaws are going to be exposed in ways they weren't during the Good Times.
  5. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,277
    Is Sully's job in jeopardy already?

not in a rational world.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    Got a nice shutout today, guess an contract extension is in order.......since we are going to be extremists
    • Like Like x 2
  7. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Please shut this rhetoric down right now. This seriously makes me puke that we have people suggesting something like this.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Uh...No his job is not in trouble.
  9. bayareagator

bayareagator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    He'll have to decide whether he wants to ride out with Weitzel and Bell or go get a bonafide hitting coach who can maximize the talent that is being woefully underdeveloped for...too long. At the plate....we're steadily leaving coincidence, circumstance, misfortune and quickly approaching trend.

Martin, Turgeon, Gushue and these guys were the real deal at the plate in HS. Now....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Has he lost to Georgia three years in a row? Has he gone sub-500 in the UF's highest profile sport?
    No. Old softy will not fire Sully.
    Problem is he doesn't remember who is coaching baseball, as his bagel this morning came without lite cream cheese. He distinctly ordered regular cream cheese, but he'll let it go. For today. As long as Matlock is on at 4.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    No his job is not in jeopardy.

To me......our talent evaluation on the offensive side of the ball over the past three years has been a key issue to our recent lack of success on the diamond. Watching this weekend, FGC look to be a better baseball team, with better baseball players. Sometimes metrics that make a player a great prospect, don't always translate onto the field.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatortom33

gatortom33 Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I think the bats they use suck badly..every time they make contact it sounds like a dull thud noise..very unnatural..FSU has scored 10 or more runs in 6 of 9 games this year using a different brand..so lets use what they are using..can't hurt at this point..
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. cholz17

cholz17 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    He might just be too good of a recruiter. I understand his idea of going after the best high school players, but maybe he should change his thinking up a bit and go after the best high school players that will attend college.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    This class was ranked #1 after the draft...did exactly as you suggest. Some of it has been bad luck, primarily guys that were projected as "college" guys but then blew up in their senior year and climbed draft boards. Not much you can do there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That "dull thud" is poor contact. It ain't the bats.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    It might then be the glare off the centerfield lights, it throws off our swing just a tad.
  17. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I agree on all counts. Pat is a great guy that people like to talk to and be around. Wonderful attitude in life. I think Pat was a pretty good game manager (got worked a bit with the lefties vs. O'Day and Falkenbach). I agree Sully needs some help. I feel like he belongs in the National League circa 1978, Bob Gibson should be on his team.

That said, I think it is crazy to mention his job security. UF baseball has a very uneven (shockingly so) past. Every coach brings the same unevenness. Therefore, I say we focus on the ups and downplay the downs. It obviously isn't changing any time soon.
  18. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +968
    LMAO
  19. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Who suggested it? The OP just asked for opinions on Foley's thought process right now. I personally love Sully and think/hope he can get it turned around. But, knowing how big-time college athletics works, is it really that outrageous to suggest that an AD might be tempted to make a change after two sub-standard years (assuming this year continues as it has started)?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +968
    absolutely outrageous on this situation. We are 11 games in. Remember we did get into a regional last year even though it was a subpar year. PLease do not think UF baseball is steep in tradition. We are pretty good but not dominating. This coach will give us the best chance to get there. We change coaches like we change underwear around here .
    • Agree Agree x 3