Is Powershell Popular In Your Organization?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 11, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,494
    I know a little about powershell but I wanted to learn a lot more and try to master it. Any network or security guys here use it or do you know of a lot of businesses that use it?
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +107
    I have done a fair amount of system administration tools using PowerShell. It is the most favored and powerful interface to most Microsoft server applications like Exchange, System Center and SQL Server. I tend to have a love/hate relationship with it. It is a fantastic window into the .net objects and products that support it. The syntax tends to be very strange to me, however.

My experience is that most Microsoft based sites use PowerShell to manage their server products. Virtually every significant Microsoft shop have folks who use PowerShell a significant amount of their time.

You probably already have found a lot on the web, probably The Scripting Guys at Microsoft, but just in case click on it to get some excellent information from very good education to a huge library of existing scripts.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,494
    Thanks for the response, yes I have found the scripting guy and went through some of his videos, still do when I have the time. I'm currently in the middle of Don Jones powershell workshop on youtube, which does a really good job of explaining it to people know other command line programs and their syntax.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    I like Powershell when I *have* to use it but it's still such a pale comparison to *nix shell that it's obnoxious.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    If nothing else I use it so I don't feel like a dolt whenever I instinctively type "ls"