Is our ultra conservative "O" keeping fans away?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorcarson, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    I have an idea. Georgia just put up 545 yards of total offense against Clemson, 323 yards passing. They are so much fun to watch....why don't you become a UGA fan!
  2. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    On a second and three Will figures we have two downs to make a first so he is not going to air it out for the message boards. If the pass falls incomplete the clock stops, then there is a one down left to get the three, reducing the odds.

The Gators are a field position, run the clock, run the ball offense. The offense may throw deep more in some games, but only because it is needed and not to make the message boards more interesting.
  3. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    It doesn't bother me that the offense is boring. If we had a boring offense because of a lack playmakers for a season, I would understand. What bothers me is that the offense hasn't changed since 2010. Even the most amateur fan could tell you that throwing a few forward passes will open up the offense yet we continue to run into a stacked box. Over and over and over and over. That is great against Toledo, but not against teams with above average defenses.

If you give us an average offense, we could win a championship with this team. On the other hand, if we had an average defense, we would be sub .500. Imagine this team having an Oregon type offense. We would be unstoppable. Would there be any doubt we'd win the SEC East?

We could have all the playmakers in the world, if you run the same play over and over you will limit productivity. Offense is not defense - unpredictability increases production. Throwing a few downfield passes will not only make the game more exciting, it will actually make the running game more productive because it will loosen up the defense.

To answer the op's question, of course our offensive brand of football is keeping fans away. Even watching on tv is more boring. For years, I had to watch every down of Gator football. Yesterday, I found myself making drinks, a sandwich, getting snacks, and missing a good 30% of offensive plays because it was pretty boring - even at home. I don't blame Muschamp for that, I just don't understand why he doesn't see what many amateurs see (e.g., maybe we should throw the ball when they stack the box for the 9th consecutive time). And don't give me the "we won so you are an idiot" bit. If we were so successful running the ball, we wouldn't have punted to start the second half off multiple times.
  4. 9Iron

9Iron New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    There are two types of gator fans !

I've sat back and read post for a couple of years and I've found there are two types of post one type see's problems and tries to disscuss them and another that says there are never any problems the coaches are the smartest people in the football world and shouldn't ever be questioned.I fall with the side that observes problem areas and would like to discuss .Our offense for the last 3 years has been predictable ,very unbalanced ,undisciplined and without a passing game that any team has to even prepare for.Once again yesterday we saw an offense that was facing a bad defense one that didn't have one lineman that had a major college start and we couldn't or wouldn't try to get the ball to our wide recievers .All summer we were told that we were going to be more balanced ,that we finally had and offensive line,wide recievers and an improved qb to make that happen and once again we were lied to .70 percent run 30 percent pass isn't balanced .Throwing 2 or 3 passes to our wide outs isn't trying to stretch the field .The everything is alright crowd can keep peeing down our back and tell us it's raining,but just wait it will come back to haunt us down the line .Championship offenses are balanced they might have a game here or there where there not but overall Nebraska was the only team in recent memory that wasn't and we are not Nebraska running the ball for 500 a game .We only ran for 250 against a bad ,inexperienced ,small defense of Toledo .Keep burying your heads just like you did when you said Zook was the answer and urban was sane and everything was alright with him .I'll side with the crowd that see's glaring weeknesses and wants the coaches to be honest about correcting them .
  5. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Not only are we passing just 30% of the time, but 90% if the passes may as well be runs (they're thrown at most a few yards past the line of scrimmage).
  6. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I think many of our fans want instant gratification! It doesn't make them any less of a fan, we are all Gators!

I also think many are short sited and impatient, they want it all right now. Our offense is being rebuilt, the players are coming. We still lack the stable of receivers we will need. Our best receivers are a converted dback and true freshman. Our receivers ran good routes and got open yesterday, that rarely happened last year, thank you Joker! Our O line is improved, but still a little suspect.

Muschamp has been recruiting very well and filling these needs, it takes time. Meyer left us with defensive talent, but not much on the offensive side of the ball, the staff is building a team around it. The style of offense will become more of what many want, it isn't going to happen overnight. Muschamp is a very smart coach, he knows what this team can and can't do! The #1 goal is to win, he's not going to put that in jeopardy just to throw the long ball!

With another year of solid recruiting on the offensive side of the ball, Pease should have the tools to shift the offense in top gear. We are not there yet, still short in a couple areas. It will not be the Fun & Gun, but if the opposing team gives us the long ball, we will take it.

If our O line stays healthy this year and our young receivers progress as they should, the offense will open up as the year goes on.

The game day experience in Gainesville has always been awesome! In my time at UF I loved watching the team win or lose, winning is always more fun, but getting to watch Gator greats in the making was always fun. I graduated the spring before Spurrier's first year, I have a real good grasp on how successful we have been in the last 25 years, I have been a fan through good times and bad. Many here don't see it, but we are on the verge of some really good times, chillax, have a cocktail, sit back and enjoy it!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Yes, and especially so for the families of fans, who, as you noted Carson, are not likely to be as highly motivated as the "fan" himself (almost always himself).

And don't forget a temperature/humidity index upwards of 120 as far as mundane and boring games.
  8. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Ask yourself this:

Would you rather be West Virginia and score 70 points a game and still lose 4 or 5 games a year?

It's exciting, but in the end you still suck!

9. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    While I understand Muschamp's job is to win games and not to appease message boards, he should not be blind to the realities of life. This message board is a microcosm of all UF fans and there is clearly dissatisfaction with the product on the offensive side.

While Champ is here to win games, he can't really afford to ignore the desires of the masses. At the end of the day, the fans in the seats, and the viewers at home, are who make his salary possible. While he is winning games the masses will put up with a dreadful offense, but Champs seat will be scorching hot when the day comes that his defense fails in 5-6 games in a year.

Also, building a team to win 14-7 has negative national ramifications. Think about last year: if we scored 40 points a game we would have been in the championship game even with the UGA loss. This year we are ranked 10th. My wife asked why we were 10 and Clemson is 8. I gave her the best answer I could - Clemson is more exciting to watch so pundits rank them higher.
  10. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    What if we are good on defense and good on offense. There's no law against that you know. And what is this nonsense that to play well on offense we have to trade off our defense? The best form of defense is offense. If we keep going 3 and out the defense will not be as good as they have been.
  11. 9Iron

9Iron New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    3 years of horrible offenses isn't asking for instant gratification

Gator fans have sat throught the last three years of horrible offenses last year one of if not the worst in gator history .You would have to go back to 1979 to find one as bad or worse .3 years isn't instant gratification .I've been a fan for 55 years and this is as bad as it gets .muschamp has done a great job with the defense but the offense for the last two years of muschamp tenure has been like nails on a chalkboard .This year we were told it would be different and yesterday was the same 0 passing game garbage we have seen the last 2 years .Fix it !
  12. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    fans go to games to be entertained---if they are not entertained, some will stop coming. very simple
  13. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Nortonis, the brand of offensive football has definitely changed since 2010. The offense has changed from a spread offense back to a traditional offense. That is not an easy transition. I can say that I saw better performances in the quality of OL play and WR play yesterday than I have seen in a while. Showers is going to be a playmaker as well as Kelvin Taylor. As for exposing your full arsenal before a big game with scUM that would be stupid.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    You are old enough to remember when great Florida teams won like this in the past. Not sure many of us were complaining when pell/Hall were winning games with a pounding running attack behind that Great Wall, with strong, crushing defenses...
  15. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. My "no" answer was to the OP headline "is our ultraconservative "O" keeping fans away?"
  16. 9Iron

9Iron New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I would rather have a balanced offense a great defense and good special teams .Thats not to much to ask
  17. 9Iron

9Iron New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    What did we win ?not an sec or national tital that we kept .Ask kerwin bell and Ricky Natiel if we just ran the Ball and played defense.Your memory is fading if you think those teams just ran the ball
  18. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I'm trying to remember the NCs that Oregon team has won. For some reason I'm drawing a blank. In fact I can't even remember the NC games in which Oregon has appeared and lost except that one they lost to Auburn a few years ago.
  19. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Do you really think it was because of the excitement factor of their offense?

Just a clue for you: they won their bowl game against LSU!

Another clue: UF laid an egg versus Louisville!

Excitement? Not so much

20. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Is this not the direction in which the Gators are heading?

Rebuilding this offense is different than a coaching change on a team with talent. Even some folk's idol around here CUM couldn't do squat with the talent he left here! That coupled with a bad hire at OC has made the rebuild slower!

Rebuilding can be time consuming, look at UT, they are on their 3rd coach 5 years into it and aren't going to be there this year!

If it's built right it will last, not like Auburn, a one year wonder. Take a look at college football as a whole and tell me which team you would like UF to be like. Then tell me how much hardware they have under their current staff. Now which team is that?

Funny that whatever you answer, if it's not Alabama, they haven't won SH:T! UF & FSU are the only schools that have won multiple national championships with a high scoring/exciting offenses in the last 25 years! The rest have done it with great defenses, most had good offenses, but nothing like Spurrier's, Meyer's, or Richt's at FSU!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.