Is our ultra conservative "O" keeping fans away?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatorcarson, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    Many years ago, and I can't remember where I first heard it, was this, "Defense wins the games but the Offense puts the fans in the stands."

And through the years I've learned that's very true. Spurrier gave us a fun Offense that everyone loved to watch, such as the Emory and Henry and so much more. And in the '96 championship year Stoops coached a great defense for the Gators. And together they achieved a lot for UF. Now Muschamp is from the D side of the game. And of course we need that to win. But at the same time I'm optimistic that Pease can give us a great O and develop Driskel to be an awesome QB. Then we have the best of both worlds. Wins and Fans in the Stands! :)
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I think the points happy fans will be pleased in 2014.
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    I wish some of the those who think we kinda-sorta-half ass suck on offense would have been around during the Amadeeville Horror days or even during Zooker era when we were Bubble Screen Central. Or go back even further to 79 when we were 0-10-1. They might be a tad more appreciative of a win.

Winning is what really counts on the bottom line of course---how we do, it just adds some polish, glimmer, and excitement to the end result. But in the big picture of things--the fact those kids are out there dressed in Gator uniforms playing is really the ONLY thing that matters. I'm not going to bitch one iota about how our offense looked. We won. The kids played for us and for the university.

That's good enough for me.
  4. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    the o looked good in the first half and looked like the handcuffs were brought out in the second half.

we needed to establish the run so we don't have a year like Brantley's first year where he wasn't the qb until third and long, and guess what? people complained then too
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    season opener: how would anyone guess it would feature a "boring offense"?

funny, but to me, boring is a game that gets out of hand against an out-manned team.

other reasons: hot noon game. games are on tv now, better view from the living room. it is a major production - full day investment. extra early start. economy still not the best. and yes - enthusiasm for the program is waning.
    we could throw it around for 600 yards and I doubt it would increase ticket sales all that much.
  6. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +553
    I know buddy. There are too many UF 'fans' who will never be happy without 500 passing yards and 50 point wins. Those days were gone even before SOS left. Everyone should have enjoyed those days then with the understanding odds are in favor of not seeing that kind of offensive domination and production again.
  7. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    ll those who want more offense could send emails/letters to Foley and suggest that UF replace the incentive bonus in the coach's contract for winning the SEC with an incentive bonus to finish in the top 20 every year in PPG and passing offense, if that's what you care about then that is how we should incent our employees...
  8. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    SOS brought one championship with offense

06 defense was what won us our title

07 our offense lit up the scoreboard, we had a qb win a heisman but our defense was AWFUL and lost to michigan in the outback bowl. Yes the same mich that lost to appy state....

yaaah offense oh how did the last two national champs win the title?

defense defense defense.......
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Lets put this into perspective. We're talking 13 games, that's it. We're winning, enjoy it while its here. Before you know it, the looooooooong, dreaded off season will be upon us. If you can't enjoy a win in the swamp, i don't know what to tell you. Maybe leave the wife at home. It'll do wonders for your experience. My old lady says the same thing, right about the third quarter. EVEN IF ITS A CLOSE GAME! Drives me mad sometimes. But then I remember she's why I have awesome seats in the first place! Lol
  10. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Married money did ya? :joecool:
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    You need both an offense and a defense to win a championship.
  12. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    A good portion of the fans in the South endzone leave the game after "We are the boys". It doesn't matter if the the game is tight or not, they are gone. Never can understand that mentality. It's said they have to beat the traffic. Still wonder why those folks attend games.
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Inherited some great seats. A little too close to the field, but otherwise awesome seats. Can't complain, really. Like I said earlier, any game in the swamp, with the exception of maybe the very high up seats, is something to behold. It's an awesome experience every time. I get goosebumps every single time the video of the gator pops up on the jumbo screen. It just never gets old to me.
  14. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    We should be blowing teams like Toledo out. Even under Zook we blew out the cupcakes. I don't think anyone is saying to throw the ball a lot more. We're saying score points. We don't care how you do it. Look at Oregon. They are a run oriented team. They put up playstation type numbers. They fill the seats too. I want more offense. I want to feel confident this offense can move the ball when needed. I want first downs. If that's running, passing, dribbling and dunking, I could care less.

Please give me an offense UF. I agree with the OP. Our offense has lost fans. It's certainly lost me. I'm not spending my money to see a team stuck in the mud. Our offense is boring which has made the entire team boring. Our weak offense means we have a very small margin for error. I hate it. Because if we had a serviceable offense we could really make a run to a title.

15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    400 yards of offense today. How many yards would have pleased you? We could have played Matt Jones and got a bunch more but I dont think that would have been smart
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I seem to remember Oregon playing some SEC teams in these last few years....can you remind me how their playstation offense did, I forget...:lie:
  17. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    Agreed. It's one thing if we were trying and failing, but what we're seeing is, sadly, by design. It's looking more and more like Muschamp simply doesn't want an aggressive offense. Can you imagine what we would look like on offense if Petrino took over as OC 2 years ago and had absolute full control.
  18. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    We could win every game 2-0 and I wouldn't care. wins are wins are wins.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I could image what the team would look like in a few years once Petrino left on defense it would be terrible ask Louisville and Arky. Why should he be aggressive when the team is winning the way it is? Maybe you guys like losing football games. The team will score more points as we get better players on the offensive side of the football.
    400 yards of offense without our most explosive football player in the game
  20. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    We should have scheduled Austin Peay and gained 800 yards and scored 70 points. Then everyone would be fat and happy. Then the next week get beaten by scUM. This scenario happened before. I thought todays performance was solid and better than expected and it showed very little to scUM.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.