Is our ultra conservative "O" keeping fans away?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatorcarson, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatorcarson

Gatorcarson Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Going to a game requires a significant commitment of time and money to travel to Gainesville to attend a football game, and a "win" is great, but for games like Toledo where the win was pretty much a given before they left the house, many fans understandably want a little more entertainment to justify such a commitment. I can't blame them for not wanting to spend 10 hours of their day (to drive there, etc.) and a few hundred dollars just to sit there the final 2-3 quarters, watching us run up the middle while they stare at the clock waiting for the game to be over.

Even die hard fans like me often have their wife, kids, etc. with them, who are not the football purists as some here (and who are entertained by exciting offense) but have zero interest in watching this conservative brand of offense (my wife used to love going, now the entire 2nd half all I hear is, "this is boring to watch...is it about time to go home?") I haven't missed a home game in 15 years and a few years ago I never thought missing a home game would cross my mind -- but today, had it not been the season opener, I might have just watched on TV. I already knew we were going to win before I got in the car -- so I kept asking myself what will I see to make this commitment of time and money worth the trip. I used to love watching our offense make exciting plays (which was fun even after the outcome was decided) or seeing some of the freshman players / recruits play for the first time, but not with Muschamp's ultra conservative offense which is, relatively, boring to watch. For these "Toledo" type of games, sometimes Muschamp's ultra conservative offense makes going to games feel more like an obligation than fun. And what's worse is that I don't even enjoy the "win" as much as I used to because the lack of downfield throws just convinces me that a loss down the road is inevitable. Fans can and should appreciate all wins, even against outmanned teams, but a fan can appreciate the outcome of a game even if he/she doesn't didn't find it exciting or fun to watch.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    tell your wife nicely to be quiet and enjoy the win
    • Like Like x 1
  3. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    im sorry you lost your pants.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    To the OP's question, I think it does. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If something is more entertaining, then more people will want to watch it or be a part of it.
  5. Gator8239

Gator8239 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I am sure the answer is yes. Toledo is at least a half decent opponent meaning I can probably point where it is on a map within 100 miles. There were still many empty seats. I would hazard the offense is even keeping some from watching on TV.
  6. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Boring offense keeps fans at home.
  7. GatorFanNGA

GatorFanNGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Avatar is all over the board tonight. Avatar, your mama must be so proud of you. You have finally accomplished something in your life: trolling a Gator board. Congrats!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I can tell you this, Florida will lose another football game it's a given, but I cant understand why we bitch and moan so much.

We had over 400 yards of offense!!!!!!!!!! that was double than your gods in Tuscaloosa!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I wish this boring offense kept the complainers off the message boards too
  11. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Ticket prices and OOC scheduling of cupcakes. Point system that rewards a newby that gives ton of cash over a lifelong ticket holder. Noon starts in August. Team did what they needed to do and was vanilla like they should be with a big game looming with scUM.
  12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Of course it does.

1. Boring offense isn't entertaining
    2. The offense is bad (at least last few years...too early to tell this year) which means the team isn't going to be great, which keeps fans away from marginal games
  13. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    You are complaining that college football fans moan and bitch too much? Really?
  14. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Boring offense keeps fans at home and generally leads to more losses.
  15. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Love that pic, I felt like that picture looks some last yr, but not today.
  16. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    we pushed OBC away, we pushed meyer into retirement and we will push Muschamp away.

nothing is ever good enough for you guys, if we won the title by 1 point and it was a 7-6 game and some would still complain.

I wonder if people started to not enjoy games if they were sitting next to some of you who complain so much. I mean "god we only got 4 yards on that play we suck" and being so damn negative all the damn time

Seriously, who lives their lives so damn negative all the time? How can you be successful in life with that attitude? I am sure some are such a joy to be around with your constant bickering about crap.

We won the damn game but we need to cry and complain about everything

we have the worst fans in the country, the team isn't the problem, you are, complaining about attendance and how many were not there?

I live 8 hours away and cant afford it. if I had tickets I would of been there but some here could have gone but found an excuse not to go and then complain about the attendance here.

time to look in a mirror and realize that the problem is those who are casting the stone.

good lord people, grow up, get a life, enjoy life and quit being so damn negative

/rant
  17. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    And to add many are turned off by sitting next to whiney fans, complaining all game, expecting a 50 point blowout every week.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +524
    I know, right? When you can put up 400 yards on a defensive stalwart like Toledo you could certainly do it against a patsy like Virginia Tech.
  19. tsm22784

tsm22784 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Stay home with your wife and kids. Going into this game if you did not think we would run the ball 75%of the time you were either not following the team in the off season or you had delusions of grandeur. All you guys crying about wanting spurriers offense (20 years ago) need to stop crying. The game has changed and you need to embrace it. Our coaching staff knows how to win games! We are all gators and some of you need to start acting like it! Bring on Miami and lets put them to sleep!

Go Gators!

08 UF Alum
    • Like Like x 1
  20. PrimeTime

PrimeTime New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    This reminds me of that Jimmy Carter speech
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.