Is it time for the discussion?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,662
    It is pretty telling that the one whose visions end with people living in a valley with magic engines or whatever, had a better handle on economic and anthropological reality.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,321
    Ok. Galt's Gultch and the General Strike seem pretty far removed from any reality I can envision.
  3. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,662
    I meant Marx's lunacy that capitalism is a problem that has to be solved, instead of being the economic system that has produced the most prosperity in human history and basically invented the concept of upward social mobility. But, I could at least understand how someone in the mid-19th century might have had doubts. Nobody in the 21st century has an excuse for taking Marx any more seriously than we take, for instance, Lamarck's airball on inheritance of acquired traits.
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,321
    I think that's a misunderstanding of Marx's critique of political economy & capitalism, but whatevs (I think Marx and Marxists are in awe of many aspects capitalism, personally). But yes, his ideas and writings are 19th century ones, as relevant as Adam Smith's, or any of the other classical economists, which is to say an influential foundation upon which other ideas have been critiqued, refined and built on, but that were obviously formulated in an earlier stage of economic development that does not translate to capitalism in the 21st century.