Is it a talent issue, or a coaching issue?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Oct 12, 2013.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    Hopefully this doesn't constitute as bashing the coaches or players, because I'm more interesting in what people think the root cause of our offensive problems are. Anyway, what do you all think?
  2. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Not sure at this point. Its not like we have no talent. I think it starts and ends with both lines on D and O.
  3. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    People don't want to hear this but year 3 is always the toughest in a transition such as the one we're in. A lot of the starters were Meyer recruits and you could see plainly today in the passing game that Muschamp's recruits are just not ready yet. They need experience and we just have to live with it until they get some.
  4. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,161
    I keep thinking its an execution issue. Someone please block someone.
  5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +476
    I don't think it is a coaching issue, I believe our guys can coach and we have talent.

It is a Philosophy issue.....
  6. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    Yeah, so kind of a mix of bad coaching and poor talent. I'm with you, in that sense.
  7. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    We will be fine under Muschamp. It's unfair to really judge him until he has his players running the program and we are still a year away from that beginning to happen. This is not a Zook situation so to make that comparison is silly.
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Coaching. Not bad coaching, but this team plays way too tight. When something bad happens on offense, instead of shrugging it off and going to the next play, we get tight. Watch Oregon play. 3rd and 15 doesn't phase them a bit. We play it safe to get to 4th down so we can punt. You will not win tight games often enough to make this strategy successful.
  9. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    A talent issue is a coaching issue. They recruit our guys.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    My opinion is that Florida needs some playmakers on the offense especially at wide receiver. The guys they have are good but they are not the caliber that you have to have to break open games. Seem to have some quality depth at QB which surprised me. Actually, in retrospect, it makes more sense that some guys have transferred if they saw the young talent coming up. I think the offensive line is really good at run blocking on the perimeter but they really don't stack up for pass blocking. I think that is a recruiting issue as well. On defense there is nothing to talk about. They are elite across the board and deep.

Pease is a really good offensive coordinator and I think with some playmakers he can open it up. I get really sick and tired of the whiners who appear to have no football knowledge and that keep complaining about the "play calling." They opened it up when they could today but LSU is a different level team than Kentucky, Arkansas and even Tennessee. Their "average" defense is still really good. We will be lucky to win at Missou even with their quarterback out but this defense will pretty much always give the offense a chance.

My expectations are that in a year or two Pease will build an elite offense to go with the defense. Might even be next year with some of the young guys -- you all saw that young running back light it up when given the chance.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    This is dead on. Year Three is the deadly transition year from one coach to another. I figured we would go 8-4 this year anyway, due to all the losses, even before Driskel and Easley went down. As such, I am not inclined to point fingers as many will do today...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Humphries was the #1 OT in the land coming out of HS, and he has enough game experience now to be counted on. He really had a bad game today, and I feel like Tim Davis is at least partly to blame for it. Is our OL development at an acceptably high level? I'm not sure it is.
  13. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Offensive coaching has been suspect, but it is too early to call for jobs. We need better players, so wait a year or two. The the recruits are all from the current staff, and so is the responsibility.
  14. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    And therein lies the problem. A lot of our players are still Meyer recruits. Until Muscamp's guys take over the program it's unfair to lay it on the coaches. We don't even know that this is ultimately the style we want to run once the young guys are in place.
  15. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +496
    It's both, and blaming Meyer is ridiculous at this point.
  16. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    After re-watching last year's Florida LSU game, the reality is that these teams were evenly matched last year and are evenly matched again this year.

The big difference this year was LSU's ability to run the ball early. Last year, it was our ability to run the ball late (plus Elam's strip).

Also, when teams are this evenly matched, home field advantage is a huge deal.

If we played LSU 4 times this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see us split the series with them.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  17. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    It's not blaming Meyer per say. He recruited players for his system. Now those same guys are being asked to play completely different system and they've had 3 OC's in their 4 years. How successful do you think they really could be?
  18. gatorlover974

gatorlover974 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Mixture of both. Peace is way too conservative. If he keeps this up we will never get any WR recruits, because we haven't used our WRs at all this year.
    The online needs more talent, or better coaching, I can't tell which one it is. We always land stud recruits, but our struggles there are ridiculous. Something needs to change there for sure.
  19. kbell42

kbell42 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    I feel like over the last 3 years we have not had a single offensive lineman get better while he was here. Perfect example was Nixon all freshman team and then never really improved
  20. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Correct ... I blame Addazio ...
    • Like Like x 1