Is Cloud Computing A Trap?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatormoe1, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I just read an interesting article about cloud computing. It brings up some interesting points against it.

Thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

2. jamiegator

jamiegator Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    In today's consumer driven IT environment people have shown over and over that they don't truly care about their own privacy. They are willing to trade privacy for convenience.
    As far as cloud companies slowly raising prices and being locked in to an ecosystem, there is some truth to that. However, these companies have to compete and most companies now provide ways to export your data to move it to another cloud provider or just on your own computer. The real hit is changing ecosystems since nothing is really equal or compatible in services provided or format.
    We are still very early in this so-called cloud computing but as long as privacy advocates keep the pressure on to force cloud providers to declare that you own your data then I'm ok with it.
    This argument really seems to be an open-source software vs. paid software argument and it is an old one. Open-source software cannot compete with the paid infrastructure of a cloud-based ecosystem. To keep open-source free or nearly free someone would have to donate the backend infrastructure of a cloud-based system which no one has done nor will do. It is quite expensive. That is why we see email, photos, & social media as the free offerings in the cloud. They can be monitized through targeted ads based upon scanning your data.
    I also think there is some whining by companies that haven't been able to monitize very well and are feeling the heat of competition.
    Everything in life is a trade off so this should be no exception.
    Having said all of that I enjoy using cloud-based systems for my own convenience. I even pay for some. I always keep an extra copy of my data locally and I periodically export my data off of the several sites that I use.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,526
    Gmail is no more an example of "cloud computing" than is Gatorcountry.com. I don't think there's a phrase people less understand than "cloud computing."
  4. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    A couple of my concerns are big brother watching over us and possibly scanning these cloud providers for illegal stuff. Also, I wonder how it will work when you owe a cloud provider a lot of money? Will they try to keep your data until paid, or will they just send your debt to collections assuming you never pay it but ultimately give you back your data?

I basically have nothing in "the cloud" other than some random stuff on Google drive.
  5. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    i use amazon cloud player. i like having access to all of my music and podcasts on any device i log into. i don't keep any personal stuff on anything but my pc. which is only kept alive for that purpose.