Is Chris Walker good to go?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oneatatime, Nov 12, 2013.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    From Franz' thoughts of 11/12

Billy Donovan and the eighth-ranked Gators travel to Madison tonight to face 20th-ranked Wisconsin. Given Florida’s three suspended players and the number of players who still aren’t completely healthy (Will Yeguete, Eli Carter, Michael Frazier, Dillon Graham, Billy Donovan III), it wouldn’t be shocking if the Gators lose this one, but win or lose don’t read too much into it. Because of the injuries and suspensions, this Florida team is going to be a work in progress. In about five weeks when everyone is back and with Chris Walker enrolled and eligible (he’s passed his online courses; should be cleared for second semester within a couple of weeks), the Gators will look like a totally different team. They’re going to be really, really good this year, but it might take awhile before we really see just how good.
  2. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I'll be very glad when I read someone from the university verify that he's academically cleared for admission. But, this seems to be a positive indicator.
  3. Tbgator1983

Tbgator1983 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yes, this sounds very good indeed. We could be a very dangerous team come January.
  4. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I'll be very happy for him. He may be a 1/2 and done (not a full 1 and done), but I like what I read from him, taking responsibility for his academics and other things. I'm sure he's been getting a ton of pressure from family, friends and fans about this.
    My gut says he may stay for a 2nd year though.
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    I think accidentally we did hear from Donovan himself. Donovan mentions C.Walker when he should not have due to Walker's NLOI being void. I take that as a sign that Donovan knew C.Walker was good to go and forgot he could not talk about him again because he did not enroll in the fall term voiding his NLOI.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    If Franz says it its probably pretty close to a done deal.
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    My thinking on this is undeniably a little callous and instrumental, but if this delay keeps Walker from showing enough to the NBA scouts that he decides to come back for a second year, it might turn out to be a good thing for the team. One and a half years of Chris Walker is better than one year of Chris Walker.
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    If he in fact passed the required courses (and under BOG requirements, he could always have been admitted as an Exception except for the Utter Insanity of UF's Admissions office), then it is a matter of getting the paperwork finished, much like Carter. As Franz noted, this usually takes perhaps 2-3 weeks, but you never know anytime you enter the beaurocratic nightmare that is a Florida State University System institution.
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Plus the business with the paid for trip to Kansas.
  10. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Hopefully he has been studying the offense and defense and working his butt off physically, so he can contribute when he does arrive.
  11. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    While it sounds like Franz knows some specifics, it sounds like the general assumption that he'll be available in a month is the same.

I'm curious to hear how some of you see him fitting in the lineup. You guys are very deep in the frontcourt and he's fairly raw. He also will be the least familiar with his role/responsibility. However, he's the most talented and athletic of the bunch - probably by a lot. I imagine he'll probably come by minutes pretty slowly, right? But what do you see him being in March? Starter? 6th man and a jolt of energy coming off the bench? Will he be more limited and too far behind the other guys and not end up being a big contributor until next year? Will he play more at the 4 or 5?

Its hard for me to see more than a back up role for him this year. To me, he's a 4, but I think he'd have to learn quickly to play that position without hurting the team offensively. Could Billy run more of the O through Prather instead of the 4?
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    He will stretch the floor better than most if not all of our bigs day one. Im sure his minutes will be limited due to being raw but I see him as an asset right away.
  13. dhouston

dhouston Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    He's eligible after the 1st semester so which game can he be back for?
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    David Jones ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat 16m
    Hearing Chris Walker has gained eligibility can join hoops team after 1st semester. #Gators
  15. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I see Walker getting the bulk of gis minutes at the 5, based on a few things historically.

Walker reminds me a lot of Donnell Harvey, not from a skill set necessarily, but from the perspective that he is athletic (moreso than Harvey and he's taller and longer to boot) and he can do some really special things because of it that will get him plenty of minutes alone. He is also very raw like Harvey.

At this stage, Chris is not the rebounder Harvey was (yet) and he has a minimal power game but he does have more offensive skills (he is an ok perimeter shooter, improved from a year or 2 ago).

I compare him to Harvey because his physical talent alone will get him minutes but I see him at the 5 a lot because it's much easier than.learning the 4 in this offense.

Granted, Chris' skill set lends more to the 4 offensively and I would live to see him at the point of the press, but to get him time and minutes, I don't see him playing outside the 5 spot much.
  16. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Most are saying Memphis.
  17. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    It's look like the last day for classes is 12/4, and 12/13 for exams.
  18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    The last day instructors can post course grades is 12/16. That should officially end the semester. I think grades have to be in by noon that day.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Maybe cleared academically, but not otherwise?
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Yeah, I would guess that he is going to come along pretty slowly. It's rare to see a Florida freshman big make too big of a dent in the rotation. I think Donnell Harvey is a pretty good comparison. He probably averaged around 20 min/game. Luckily, Walker will have a couple of non-conference games to experience before the real season begins.