Is Andrew Wiggins the best player in the Big 12...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Nov 1, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Marcus Smart says not so fast my friend...I'm with him, but it could change very quickly.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State sophomore guard Marcus Smart, projected as a top-three pick by ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford, said Wiggins first has to prove he's the best in the Big 12.

"A lot of people are saying he's the best player now in college basketball," Smart said of Wiggins during the Big 12's media day. "All I'm saying is how can you be the best player in something you haven't even played yet?"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9892399/andrew-wiggins-admits-planning-enter-draft-next-year
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Basically, these lazy national basketball writers figure it is easier to say the best player in every conference it seems is some frosh than to actually do some analysis. If they are such NBA fans that all they are going to do is pick the top projected NBA pick from each conference, perhaps they should try to get jobs covering the NBA and leave college basketball coverage to someone who actually wants to do the job.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +650
    I agree with him, but not with his reasoning.

Surely he was better, as a freshmen who'd "never played," than some of his older teammates, right? So yeah, its possible Marcus, even if it hasn't yet shown to be the case.

However, I would probably lean towards saying he'll be the best player in his conference - this year. Its beyond comprehension (but I applaud his decision) that he's not already in the NBA himself. He plays a position that is more important than what Wiggins plays, also.

I'd say the same thing of Wiggins had he committed to Kentucky, part of his ranking is based on potential. Surely he'll be great this year - I'm not saying he's JUST potential. His ceiling is unmatched by any in college basketball this year. But like I always say, it just depends on how much of it he's able to reach this year.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +797
    Agreed, REM. Smart is excellent, so I doubt too many people would be surprised if he himself is the best player in the Big XII. However, a good deal of people believe that Wiggins is also excellent, so I doubt too many would be surprised if he was the best player either. All we seem to really know at this point is that Wiggins likely won't be the best player in the Big XII next year.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +797
    Side note: I am definitely looking forward to seeing Wiggins in Gainesville this year.
  6. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    My wife is a KU grad and we attended an open practice in Lawrence last weekend. They have a ridiculous amount of talent, VERY young though. They could really struggle early to find a good rotation, etc. They should be right in the middle come March though.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    The whole idea of "best player" in any team sport, is, by definition, absurd for the simple reason that the best "TEAM" usually wins, not the best "player".

However, individual players can be rather exciting to watch, but that does not even mean they are more important "to the TEAM" than others in the lineup.