Irony and thoughts

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by kellgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. kellgator

kellgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Does anyone else find it ironic that we, as fans, complained all last week about our "Conservative" offense, and this week a conservative redzone offense would have won the game?

Failed two point attempt: -1 point
    Failed 4th down conversion: -3 points
    Driskel's first redzone int: -3 points
    Driskel's second int just outside the redzone: -3 points

That's 10 points and more importantly Miami would have been playing from behind for most of the second half.

We certainly weren't conservative offensively against Miami. But the blame still falls on the coaches and here's why. Yes, the players are the ones who turned the ball over, but this is the first time the coaches asked the players to execute an aggressive game plan. Maybe Driskel doesn't throw those two int's if he'd learned the hard way last year or even last week. Muschamp has spent the last two plus seasons asking our offense to do just enough to win each individual game. Every time our running has been good enough to win without having to throw much that is exactly what we have done. But that kind of thinking doesn't develop your QB or receivers. And then all of the sudden you need them to make plays and they make rookie mistakes. Well, coach, what did you expect them to do? Driskel's never been asked to throw 33 passes in a game and the receivers have never had to get open that many times in a game.

What pisses me off most is that Muschamp is probably going to use this game as an excuse to go back to an ultra conservative offense and the next time we need our offense to attack we'll make rookie mistakes all over again. What he should do build on this loss and get better at running an attacking offense. It won't happen though.

In summary, yes, we could have won this game with a more conservative redzone offense, but if the goal is to win championships then Muschamp needs to stop thinking and game planning like an NFL DC, and start developing the kind of offense that can win championships at the college level.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    That's speculation, and our red zone play calling was no different than the rest of our play calling.
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,439
    Agreed, kellgator.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    I guess it is ironic. But of the four plays you mentioned, I think going for it on 4th down was the right call. I mean we had inches to go . Not sure why Driskel sneaked to the left directly into someone who was lined up in the gap and came through cleanly. I thought he should have just followed Harrison straight ahead. That one may be on Jeff too. I guess re-watching the play would help figure that out. Not sure I'm willing to put myself through that though.
    I thought the 2-point conversion call was pretty high school. We have a new kicker trying to build confidence. Get the guy as many chances on easy ones as possible. Thought that was really sophomoric coaching call.
  5. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I think the play calling was actually very good minus the 2pt conversion attempt. Execution wasn't the best at all by Driskel. Champ pointed out that Driskel was given the option on some plays to change the call at the line if he saw something, particularly the 4th and 1 play, but Jeff decided to hesitate and run it up the middle. Jones also was not running very hard, and I'm not going to fault him too much because he has been sick for a while and this was his first game back. Brown played well, wish he would have got more carries along with Taylor and Herndon.

We moved the ball very very good, absolutely dominated their defense, but stupid turnovers and mistakes killed us just like Jacksonville last year.

I'm happy with the plays called and our D, but the QB position needs to be evaluated big time.
  6. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I believe that the staff simply does not believe that JD can handle making decisions in the passing game and/or throwing it deep (maybe $1M arm/body and 10 cent head?). After yesterday, I tend to agree with them. This gives them following options:
    - throw the ball and know that you will lose because JD can't do it effectively,
    - run the ball with JD running a lot. This gives us the best chance to win any game but puts the season at risk because we have no back up, or
    - play sick d and try to get field goals (what we are doing).

The original poster is right, if we just kicked field goals, we would have won. WM will notice that.

Having said the above, which places a large part of the issues in our loss at the hands of our Junior QB and his lack of back ups, WM has been coach for 3 years and put us in this position. He has watched/coached JD for 3 years and if this is all he can get, he owns it.
    There are no excuses for him this year.
  7. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    That's still speculation because you're assuming we make those field goals with an inexperienced kicker.
  8. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Then why ask JD to throw the ball in the redzone. If you don't want to risk injuring him just be conservative and let a rb run straight up the middle to at least get good position for a FG.
  9. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    You said:
    "Then why ask JD to throw the ball in the redzone. If you don't want to risk injuring him just be conservative and let a rb run straight up the middle to at least get good position for a FG."

I think you missed the point of my post. I was stating that I guess the lesson that WM takes from this game is don't take ANY chances with Driskel around the end zone, and that in the future CWM will not let him throw down there (unless we are behind) - like last year, his leash will be very tight. We will kick FGs. I'd bet the coaches regret letting JD throw in the red zone now (yes, despite a young kicker).

The question is whether this conservative style is driven by CWM, driven by JD's ineptitude, or a combination. For the future of the program, I'm hoping it is JD (but it could be a combination). CWM may not make it through this year and next year regardless of whether it is a JD issue or not We need to run JD in a spread option as it gives us the best chance to win - yes risking injury and putting the season at risk. However, the season is also at risk with JD as a misplaced drop back qb trying in vain to read defenses.
  10. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,220
    The problem is you are assuming our kicker who is new and missed an easy one against Toledo was going to make all those Fgs on the road. If it were sturgis, then I would agree.
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    haha, no. This is exactly the problem with a conservative offense. When you do turn it over (especially in the RZ), it's really hard to come back.

If you had an explosive offense, we could have potentially come back from that.
  12. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    No. Turnover margin is the single most important stat in football besides score. No offense can comeback from 6 turnovers.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  13. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Do you give no credence to the possibility (probability in my mind) that JD is incapable of running an "explosive offense"???? My guess is Pease (and CWM) would love to be able to throw downfield some... but don't think we can. Hard to argue after watching JD yesterday. My guess is they want to keep their jobs and to win and think kicking FGs and playing sick defense is THIS teams best chance. They may just be stupid/stubborn (as many posters seem to believe) but they may also be handcuffed.

Do not get me wrong, I'm no CWM shill as he knew what he had with JD 3 years ago and picked him as the teams QB. If we are between a rock and a hard place because of JD's limitations and the lack of back ups, that is on CWM. Winning coaches adjust and recruit (like Meyer did with Leak). Gators know, and CWM would agree, that he was hired to win championships. If he does not, he will and should be canned.
  14. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Then how do teams win with a negative turnover margin? It has happened in the past.