Iraq is on the brink of civil war

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by leogator, Jul 24, 2013.

1. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    Late 1980's.

Bush had a personal vendetta against Saddam? The same Saddam his father kicked out of Kuwait in like 20 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  2. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    What old score are you talking about? Getting revenge for kicking Iraqi ass in 1991?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    Now that is an approach worth considering.
  4. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    However, I believe we should have left right after taking him out and let Iraq work it out for themselves as it appears they are going to do anyway.

Iran would have gladly worked it out for them.
  5. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    A major role?

What makes you think that Iran will have better luck in Iraq than the USA did?

Iran will have at the best 25% of the Iraqi population. Most of that support will be from the Shiites.

Iraq ver well could be Iran's Vietnam when you consider the following factors:
    1, Not all of the Shiites are allied with Iran.
    2, The Arabs are not that fond of the Kurds and Persians.
    3, The Kurdish people are not to fond of the Arabs and the Persians
    4, Over 75% of Iraq is not In Lockstep with Iran

A Shite Iran controlled Iraq can never happen. If you thought the the 2004 to 2006 Iraq insurgency was bad the next insurgency will be a real blood bath. There will be bombings, assassinations, and mass killings from one side of Iraq to another.

The violence will not be confined to just Iraq. The Kurdish Iranian conflict will draw Kurds from Syria, Turkey, Caspian Sea nations, and Iran will join into the fray to create a Kurdish homeland.
    Also the Arab population in southwest Iran will be a source of trouble to the Iranian government.

By this point the hard liners in the Iranian gov't will be hard pressed keeping their own Shites/Persians united. The age under 30 Persians in the urban areas will take the opportunity to revolt.

Lets us not forget about the ongoing civil war in Syria , the tensions with Israel and the Palestinians, and the unrest in Egypt.

Sounds like we could be getting closer to the Armageddon that was describe in the Book of Revelations.
  6. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    syria--may have used chemical weapons--why doesn't the u..s invade?
    north korea--unstable, has nuclear weapons--why doesn't the u.s. invade?
    iran--has nuclear technology, unstable--why doesn't the u.s. invade??

just invade any country with "weapons of mass destruction!" they have no right to them!
  7. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    and how do you know Saddam used chemical weapons against the Kurds? Because the media told you so?

When will you learn? Do not listen to anything the media says. This media is incapable of telling the truth.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,010
    First of all I didn't agree with any of Bush' wars but...

Syria: No real interest in Syria, what do they have for us that is useful? Furthermore, both sides are terrorists and helping either one is bad. The only solution is to go to war with Assad and FSA troops, which Obama wouldn't do that to those poor FSA terrorists.

North Korea: It's best to just let them act like they can use nukes than to do much about it. Nothing will ever change the way they do things, their people are way too brainwashed.. Besides, USA doesn't want a chit storm with China.

Iran: We helped them acquire those nukes and we overthrew their democracy. Why would we invade now?
  9. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I have been watching "Restrepo" on NETFLIX after reading WAR by Senastian Junger, we are losing good, young American men and/or traumatizing them for life to secure a few hundred yards of dirt and rocks in the mountains of Afghanistan, where only sheep and shacks survive, these people can't even read or write, they support whichever side pays them the most that week and as soon as we are gone they will return to the tribal ways they have known for centuries, Far time we leave them to their own demise
  10. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,010
    Restrepo was a brilliant documentary. I recommend that for anyone who is into war or simply wants to know whats going o over there.
  11. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    What was going on, ....we left Korengal valley in 2010, 50 men lost, nothing gained
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,998
    Our POTUS and the Leftists think that it is.
  13. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I don't know about you, but the Shites are the majority in Iraq. Last time I checked they have a prime minister in place.

If you think that the Iranians will revolt, you should get a job in the State Dept. They have been advocating that, the last 30+ years. It had not happened. I personally hope it does happen, but I don't think so.

Kurds uniting. Another State Dept pipe dream. As long as we keep on fellating Turkey, it ain't happening. It aint happening anyway because they have way too many warlords that will lose their income streams.
  14. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    I was pissed when we took our foot off the Afghan throttle and moved our assets to Iraq. My Great Nephew was there at the time and it made no sense to me to fight in a place that hadn't attacked us first. Leaving my kin with less help where we STILL are.

Those with a clue understood Saddam was the wall between Iran and the worlds oil supply. Iraq's oil is in the Shitte area, so no way can avoid war over than alone. More oil in in the Kurd region, so even that area will continue to be fought over with Turkey wanting a piece of that action which they once owned anyhow.

With the Sunni the minority, but the more powerful, here we are doing what many of us expected. Iran can pretty much take oil lands by proxy now.
  15. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,934
    A lot of good info on this thread. Obviously our foreign policy was (and probably still is) based on our Cold War against worldwide communism. After the fall of the Soviet Union we don't know what to do with all of the toys we have, including the alliances/propping up dictators who are "on our side." I don't think there is any good solution for the Middle East, including the Balkan states. Iraq is a lot like Yugoslavia, which survived only at the threat of a gun.

Speaking of Yugoslavia, I thought that the best solution was for the UN, with the blessing of the US and our military, would have declared it a case of a major street fight against rival gangs, formed a barrier around it so that stuff couldn't get in or out (theoretically), made sure that each had the same kind of stuff (no one can bring a gun to a knife fight) and then let them work it out. You rape ours, we rape yours. Eventually they will either wipe themselves off the earth or realize - over MANY years - that this is supremely stupid and they need to find a solution.

Then that would have sent the message to the remaining tribal regions in the world that you need to play nice or you are next. This idea that we can solve everyone's problems because we have money and weapons is just plain silly and arrogant.
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    As I said before we went in, "The foreign policy equivalent of kicking over a fire-ant hill."
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Actually, it was based on the beliefs/fantasies of these folks:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/

Cheney and Rumsfeld drove the train on this one. Bush made the mistake of trusting their judgement.
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    It's humorous to watch old episodes of SNL and Weekend Update from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. It never fails that one of the news stories is "problems in the middle east.". Those crazy kids and their religions.
  19. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    If your concern is how people died, and not how more will now die, you concern level has nothing to do with deaths.
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

The only thing is, unlike the way things were just before, at, and following the turn of the century before WWI, post WWII, we seem to have to be out there like Ethyl (jk) Merman singing there's No Business Like Show Business or Everything is coming up Roses, with major attitude, asserting our influence, and controlling things or at least, trying to.

Perhaps the world has shrunk and the age of nukes compel a different stage presence, or perhaps US capitalism has pretty much exhausted our natural resources and we intermeddle in the rest of the world's business to play grab-bag for our part, or . . . that's just the way it is and must be, now.

It also seems that plenty of people out there want to come over here and kill us for one reason or another, not the least of which might be because of all of the yeechy entertainment and cultural stuff we export that clashes with their delicate sensibilities.