IPad, only way to go?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Loxgator, Aug 15, 2012.

1. irish2u2

irish2u2 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Cheaper? Yes. Better? No. There is a good reason Apple has 150 billion in the bank. They make great products that lead the industry in reliability and innovation. Apple leads, Samsung invariably follows BUT... to be fair and objective tech companies are leapfrogging now. What ever advantage Android or Windows or Apple has today will be passed the next time one of the big 3 updates and then the bar is re-set till somebody else upgrades and so on and so on. To me it's not about the cost of the hardware though. It's about the ecosystem you are invested in. I have more than a significant investment in the Apple Ecosystem which translates to beaucoup money spent in the iTunes Store on music and movies which means it makes sense for me to spend beaucoup money on Apple hardware. I have been an Apple guy for over 20 years and it boils down to Apple creates the hardware, Apple creates the software and Apple creates the Operating System. No other consumer company has that kind of synergy and while the initial cost is a bit higher the reliability is worth it. After 5 years of daily use I finally re-installed my OS on a 21.5" iMac and ran a complete suite of diagnostic and housecleaning apps. Not because it was broke or slow or anything like that but because I got a new 27" iMac and i was giving the old one to my daughter. :cool:

FWIW, I am just as passionate about the Gators. :cool:
  2. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Meh, I had a whole story about why I left the apple ecosystem 19 years ago and have never looked back story typed up. I'll save y'all that.

The iproduct's heady days of technical "superiority" are in the rear-view. If the next iteration of apple device comes close to the technical specs of say my note 3 I would be shocked and amazed.(given it is on the order of 4 times more machine then the ipad air) I would also expect manufacturers to double up apple's hardware again, just to prove the point. Add in things such as removable batteries, storage cards, and google app partnerships.

Again, I'm not saying that if you love your iproducts to switch, as that would be stupid. I'm just saying, there is no reason besides "liking their ecosystem" to join their ecosystem. The price tag is higher, the hardware is inferior, and the software is proprietary.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I use Linux, Windows, Android, iOS and OSX on a daily basis. I'm not a huge fan of OSX but you can never, ever dispute the quality of Apple's hardware. It's just top-notch. I spend a good amount of my day working on my Mac, primarily because of the shell tools inherent in a *nix product, but they make excellent computers.

When Android first came out I was dismissive, it didn't even come close to what Apple was offering in terms of the iphone. We had a few of those early Android phones and my thoughts were "long way to go here."

Somewhere after the Honeycomb/Android unification happened, that changed and in a hurry. Use a stock Android phone and go over to the iphone and it's apparent which is snappier. Same applies to the ipad - there are some fantastic Android tablets that blow the ipad out of the water.

I've also noticed an uptick in iphone failures lately, largely among our test devices but also among our users' devices as well.

At any rate, it's 2014 and ipad/android tablet is six of one, half dozen of the other. Honestly I'd give Android the nod right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Solari

Solari GC Janitor Staff Member GC Staff

Ratings Received:
    +2,649
    It's really just a personal preference. Play with both and decide which suits you best. The specs, OS, etc. are irrelevant as long as you like what you will be using and it does what you want.

Ray
  5. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    I'm in the minority but I'm sticking w\ the iPad & iPhone but will stick w\ MS Window & Intel for my laptop & desktop.