iOS 7

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by exiledgator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,992
    Umm, every PC is stable out of the box unless you get it from Joes used computer store. What I mean as far as novice users, I don't mean people who don't know how to use a computer, because I can teach anyone to use Linux, Mac, Windows etc.... I'm talking about people who never want to upgrade their system and they are fine paying big bucks for something they really won't have many options in the future as far as upgrading goes. You're paying for the hardware which is great, to be sure, but as OBOB said, you can buy 3 systems with similar specs to the one Mac. All while giving up the lions share of software out there on the market.

You are right about being on topic though, I apologize for the hijack and this will be the last post of my Apple rant. :)

On topic, I read that there is an update out there for iOS7 that fixes the lock screen bug and a few other things.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    IOS7 is free. Starting today, OS Mavericks is free. The iPhone is only slightly better but more secure than the Andriod platform. If we're all being taken for an expensive ride, I wonder about the people in the tech incubator I work in, where 70% of the people there are using expensive paper weights to create new technology that so far has raised tens of millions in venture capital since it opened a year and a half ago.

Attended a major health technology conference Saturday attended by technologists, physicians, technologist/physicians and venture capitalists. Almost everyone had some form of expensive paper weight or another. Many of the panelists were demonstrating breakthrough health technology that depended on these expensive paperweights. (You better get in touch with these people to tell them they've all been duped and all the innovation they've invested their time and money in will do no more than keep paper from falling off their desks.)

Nothing wrong with PCs or Androids. Windows is flawed, but not as much as it used to be. Office is what it is and we're all used to it. Linux makes PCs great if you are wired to do that kind of thing. Bottom line, nothing is more intuitive than a Mac. No smart phone has quite as much utility as an iPhone, no matter the price and when you are doing business in the environment I'm in, it's ubiquitous. I busted the founder of Google Chicago for pulling out an iPhone in a meeting. Turned out he used both, but his only tablet was an iPad, which is hardly expensive and it's even popular with people who are loyal PC and Android users. Almost all the back-end programmers I know use PCs for work and iPads or Macs for fun. They all use iPhones because they know about the security issues with Android. I think those will be fixed and Android will remain the singular competitor to the Apple lineup. Google isn't stupid. They're smart enough to know to work with Mac more than they work against them.

There's a reason Apple is the most successful company and most valuable brand in the world and it has nothing to do with the stupidity of humans who make Coke and McDonald's successful. Mac users get joy out of technology. They're also productive and more than anything, creative. A lot of that part goes to Adobe, but all their apps are developed for with the Mac OS interface in mind and then adapted for Windows. No decent art director, designer, multi-media artist or filmmaker I've ever known used anything but a Mac, that includes the people doing work for Google, Microsoft and Intel (before Intel processors were in Macs.)

FWIW, My four year-old Macbook Pro is still going strong. It's never crashed, never had a virus and the few minor hardware issue I've had were covered under warranty.
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    Regarding IOS7, it was disorienting at first, but I'm getting used to it. I like it fine but still finding my way around.
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,992
    Paper weights in relation to their price. Everyone knows they are reliable and/or more stable than PCs in general, but I can build a PC that would blow your Mac out of the water and still be able to do anything you do with your Mac. On top of that, I would have enough money to spare to possibly build another PC that is close to the specs offered on a Mac.

I've never had a virus in years either and I've had this box for probably 6 years now, I've just added some stuff here and there to beef it up (SSD, USB3.0, New Mobo).

Simply put, Mac's aren't worth the price you pay for them and I'll stand by that until the end.
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    If I could build a car in my garage by hand, buying a car would be stupid.
  6. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Strange, to add to your comments above about apple products, the resell on these products alone are worth taking into consideration because of supply & demand.

For example, the new Ipad Air just released tabs are out and the Ipad 4 (last year's model) is selling for top dollar on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Retina-..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PTFKZ2E8XB6K5D24TG9

Android tabs don't work that way so for that reason alone I'll probably buy an Ipad Air on Black Friday and in a year from now place it on Amazon and get close to all my money back...then I'll always be updated without losing.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    IOS7 and Mavericks are not "free," they are free upgrades. And OSX has routinely had paid dot release updates, too.

I'm a fan of Apple, primarily because of the quality of their hardware. I have a MBP on my work desk next to the PC (Ubuntu) I use 80% of the time. Both are great machines.

We have dev iPhones and dev Android phones all over the place. I'll say this - IOS creamed Android until about 2 years ago with the 4.x release. Even with IOS7, I wouldn't make an iPhone my personal phone until they officially catch up.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Uh, what? Here's last year's ASUS Transformer:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T...d=1383131839&sr=1-2&keywords=asus transformer

It's still selling near the price of the newer model. Never mind that the ipad air isn't even available to buy on Amazon.

Look, I'll rep Apple quite a bit. Their machines are fantastic and I really don't think the average user can build a better machine. OSX v Windows = a wash. I prefer OSX because of its *nix roots, but for most users that's meaningless.

But on mobile devices I whole-heartedly agree about their being seriously overpriced. Unlike their computers, they offer no real benefit in stability, build quality, etc. over their Android counterparts.
  9. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Mixed bag for me but I like it a tab better than iOS 6.
  10. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    ios7, safari or ? I've noticed since the "big" update that embeded video's don't show up in threads. There's just a big blank spot in the thread where there used to be the Youtube screen ready to play. The GC App at least shows the link to youtube. Anyone else have this problem using the Ipad?
  11. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    My piece of crap iPhone 4S all of a sudden stopped picking up any, and all wifi. I reset the phone, the network, and nothing. It just will not find any wifi.
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    My wife upgraded from the 4s to the 5s and is not liking the phone. She's had connectivity problems with certain routers that she never had before. Seems like there's little annoyances with her new phone that she doesn't expect out of Apple products. I think part of it is envy of my Note 3's screen.
  13. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Get her a Note 3 & sell the iphone.