Interesting Stat About Our Passing Game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLaw, Sep 8, 2013.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    I don't think it's quite that simple, Bazz. The Gators were not great on 3rd down (6/15), but they were better than Miami (1/11). The Canes managed to avoid all those turnovers. Was it because they had good play calling?
  2. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    We were complaining about the play calling last week too.

We were complaining about it last season, and in the off-season.

We'll be complaining about it for the rest of this year.

And we'll go on complaining about it until the offensive philosophy changes.
  3. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    And then we'll resume complaining shortly thereafter.
  4. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,958
    And it worked great. We just gave them the ball five times. Go check out the box score. We owned everything but turnovers.
  5. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    FIFY...

6. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    So I guess a lot on here wants to come from behind each and every game. The only time we sniffed the goal line was when we had to desperately pass. Catch up ball or Heinz. As in smell my hiney. LOL

Our first drive our #1 RB fumbles the ball grinding. I think the running is too risky for Boom to run. There is a chance that someone will fumble.

No one in the nation is scared of the Gators offense; I will tell you a little scenario,

Some defensive coaches from Miami were in Buffalo Wild Wings the night before our game, of course drinking beer and downing wings. The Def. Coor. says what do you think Florida will run on the first play of the game, they all say a dive up the middle. They all laugh.
    Then a Graduate Assistant asks, do you think they will run on second down also, the Def. Coor. says, if you ever ask that again you will never coach here. The rest of the coaches all snickered.
    It is now 3 and 4 as the def coor gives them the scenario, then asks, what play do the Gator coaches send in? They all say in unison: Trey Burton running the wildcat.
    But will he pass the ball ask the Def Coor? They all are in a laughter uproar, Coach you know they won't pass the ball, they think that is so Stupid. The Def. Coor. buys them all a another beer.

After downing half of this new beer, some of the coaches ask if there is anything else we should worry about with their offense, his eyes rolled and said ya'll get out of here!

If we don't change, the whole nation will know Will is over his head. He has a couple of weeks to let someone else call the plays, but I guess our first play against Tenn will be a dive up the middle. Oh for a little imagination and aggressive play by an offense.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,505
    If JD hits the easy pass to the wide open receiver in the end zone, and we kick a few FGs instead of handing the ball to the Canes, we win the game comfortably.

We just need to take care of the ball and take the points that are there untill we work out the RZ offense. We don't need that many points with this defense.
  8. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,397
    I think they avoided the turnovers simply because we had the ball more than they did.

The point I was making on play calling is --- if we pass more on first down with plays designed to gain more than 10 yards.....we avoid 3rd downs where there is more pressure to get the first down.

We seemed to be running more on first down - and that's fine and dandy if we get first downs - but running into an 8 man front - and getting hammered only leads to more 2nd and 3rd down plays.....which IMHO increases pressure on the QB to throw for a first downs which increases odds for an interception. Especially in the red zone.

I totally understand the concept that if we don't turn the ball over the turnovers decrease. And my only point is let's shoot for first downs the entire series....starting with successful pass plays on first down - throwing for more than 10 yards...
  9. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    That is a garbage stat as far I'm concerned and I'm sick of posters standing behind it, take away that padded soft coverage td in the last minute and your line is looking barely over 200 with much lower QBR and passing efficiency.
  10. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Just to clarify - I wasn't criticizing the play-calling in the usual sense, I was pointing out what seems to be a pattern of "complete a pass, then run" and suggesting that such a pattern might make it difficult for Jeff to ever get in a rhythm. In general the plays were fine, obviously they gained a lot of yards. But perhaps the mixture of the plays might be a little different so that occasionally Jeff gets to follow up one completed pass with two or three others in appropriate situations.
  11. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,242
    I believe we threw it 15 times on first down last Saturday.