Interesting Stat About Our Passing Game

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorLaw, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Here's each completed pass we threw yesterday and the play or two that followed it:

pass, run
    pass, penalty, pass, run
    pass, run
    pass, pass (46 yards), run run
    pass, run (actually 8 consecutive runs after that completed pass)
    pass, run
    pass, run
    pass (17 yards), pass (4 yards), fumble
    pass, pass, run, run
    pass, run
    pass (20 yards), run
    pass pass
    pass, run
    (three minutes left, things are looking desperate)
    pass, pass, pass, pass, TD

Anyone notice a pattern there? Until desperation time we never called for more than one pass following a completion. And 9 times when we completed a pass it was followed by a run (only 4 times was a completed pass followed by another pass).

I wonder how a QB can get into a rhythm when most of his completed passes are followed by a run or when he never gets to throw more than one pass after completing a pass? If you were an opposing DC what kind of defense would you call after we completed a pass? After two passes?

And what do we make of the fact that the only time all game when we completed a pass and followed it up with more than one pass we threw four passes in a row, completed all of them, and scored our only passing TD of the game? Do we dismiss it because the game was virtually over at that point? Or do we wonder if we might be on to something with that?

I'm not a critic of the coaches, I think WM is going to end up being an outstanding HC. But nobody is perfect. The pattern shown above makes me think that we're pretty easy to defend after we complete a pass and totally simple to defend after we complete one and throw another. And maybe we'd have a more consistent passing game with fewer mistakes if we let Jeff get into a better rhythm than we did against Miami.
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Yeah, I don't understand the people that still don't see that there is something inherently wrong with the playcalling. We only pass to set up the run. We run predominantly on first down or throw short passes that are essentially runs. We we run play action, it's rarely to throw downfield.

Now whether that's a result of the players is up for debate, but it is not an efficient way to score points.
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    I'm sorry, but it's NOT the playcalling. Two pics, three fumbles, it just is NOT the playcalling. Some questionable calls, sure. But the results bear out that it's not the playcalling, it's the turnovers
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +716
    I think people are looking at this too hard. UF moved the ball up and down the field. The problem is the play calling, the decision making, and ultimately, the execution in the red zone.

You clean up the red zone mistakes UF wins by a ton, like many here predicted.

The offense is clearly better than last year at moving the ball.

It's just not better at scoring, haha!
  5. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    That is what it looks like from where I am sitting as well.

We could quibble about whether the turnovers were the result of poor play calling in the red zone, but I'm pretty sure that none of the plays we called in the red zone included turnovers as a part of the plan.
  6. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    For those that think the offense is clearly better than last year, remember we were playing Miami. They are not very good on defense, or really very good at anything. Except beating the Gators.

However, I do think the offense is better than last year. But it is still not very good. The playcalling IS a problem. That offense would not have run up and down the field on Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, etc.
  7. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Get rid of the turnovers and nobody would be talking about the play calling.
  8. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    291 yds Career-Best
  9. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I thought it was odd when we were in an obvious passing situation that we called play action. It wastes time that Jeff could use looking downfield & it has little if any deception effect
  10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    Well I think stats are great but the best stat to own is scoring.

And if we are outscored in any game - I think you have to keep everything in the conversation.....and I too question play calling if it creates scenarios which lead to higher turnover to scoring ratios.

I was hoping we pass more on first down instead of running up the middle into a crowd of 8 Cane players and maybe gaining a yard or two.

For a while there yesterday I thought we only had 2 receivers.
  11. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Yup. Just protect the ball by covering up and making better decisions at the QB position (ie NOT throwing into triple coverage in the middle of the field) and this game is out of hand in a hurry. Basic fundamentals, use them and we win this game with Tyler Murphy playing the 4th quarter.
  12. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    Get rid of the 3rd and longs and the TO's go away.

Now...how do we get rid of the 3rd and longs?

Yup...you got it.....better play calling.
  13. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    :rolleyes:

In a loss...that was largely his fault. Including a horrendous bomb that was completed only through extraordinary effort from Dunbar.

Play calling? The poor over throw of a wide open Dunbar was a good call. The play where Dunbar was wide open by himself and JD never went beyond first option and hit Patton underneath was a good call.

JD's issues are because he does not have what it takes to be the starting QB at what should be an top level SEC team. Tough to win as expected at UF with a Kentucky level QB taking the snaps
  14. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Extraordinary effort from Patton, not Dunbar.

Otherwise, I agree that those were good calls. I don't have any major problems with the playcalling. No coaching staff ever calls a flawless game, but fans only tend to shine a light on the issue after a loss, even if the playcalling was not the primary cause.
  15. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    There is no pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Or better execution for that matter. I guess you will have to explain the 3rd & long thing to me and what play calling would have improved the situation ...

2nd and 11 at MIA 44 Matt Jones rush for no gain, fumbled, forced by Denzel Perryman, recovered by MiaFl Curtis Porter at the 50 yard line. ... UM scored 7 to go up 0-7.

3rd and Goal at MIA 11 Jeff Driskel pass intercepted by Rayshawn Jenkins at the MiaFl 4, returned for 19 yards to the MiaFl 23. ... UF would have gotten at least 3 to go to 9-14 instead of 6-14.

1st and 15 at MIA 17 Jeff Driskel pass complete to Trey Burton for 4 yards, fumbled, forced by Shayon Green, recovered by MiaFl Thurston Armbrister at the MiaFl 13. ... UF should have gotten at least 3 pts on this drive to end half at 9-14 or 12-14 considering previous red zone TO, instead score is 6-14.

3rd and 3 at MIA 17 Jeff Driskel pass intercepted by Tracy Howard at the MiaFl 12, returned for 36 yards to the MiaFl 48. ... UF should have gotten at least 3 pts on this drive to be 12-14 (or 15-14 or 18-14 counting previous 2 red zone TO's) instead of 9-14.

3rd and 7 at FLA 17 Jeff Driskel sacked by Tyriq McCord for a loss of 9 yards, fumbled, forced by Tyriq McCord, recovered by MiaFl Tyriq McCord at the Fla 4. ... Result UM gets 7 to go to 9-21 ..
  17. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Grumpy, was just about to do the work to point this out, appreciate you beating me to the punch.

Bazza, I'm sorry but you're just plain old wrong here. Six trips into the Red Zone versus two for your opponent (or 5 and 1 if you want to take out the one we gained via blocked punt and the one they gained via Jeff's late fumble) and the plan of action is working, it's the execution that's the most at fault.

Field goals from the 11 and 17 yard line are what JD's poor decision making cost us (as well as Trey's fumble at the 11 with three downs to give, no less). That's 9 points at base, wether 1/2 FG and one TD or three FGs, etc. It's absolutely good enough for the 6 needed to win.

Minus the turnovers I'll take that scenario any day. It's the turnovers boss, which happen on the field, not the coaches' box.

PS: I'm not including the quick strike play from Miami for a TD as a RZ drive. If anything, given this is college football and Florida is a top tier program we SHOULD get at least one quick strike score of our own per game. Losing Debose removed that, though Roberson on punt returns isn't a bad salve. If you want to complain about the offensive strategy it should be the seemingly decided choice to move away from THAT.

PPS: Our defense is good enough that we can give one of those to the opponent, not have a quick strike score to match it, and still with a 5 to 1 RZ drive ratio be able to win the game going away if we don't turn the ball over 5 doggone times.
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +911
    There are almost always a number of misexecuted plays in a game. Staff has to overcome that somewhat.
  19. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Turnovers are not a result of play calling. We need ball protection and we will be hard to beat. If we keep turning it over we keep loosing.
  20. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    Correct...no 'rational' or 'objective' people would be talking about it. However there are plenty in here who would STILL be bitching about play calling. You can rest assured on that.

I think the numbers show it as you said--it was the turnovers, plain and simple. The play calling will always have some mistakes...even in the most prolific offensive teams in CFB history. But when the dust settled yesterday--the play calling was...overall...working just fine for the most part. The turnovers are what did us in.