Interesting Pew poll regarding abortion

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Aug 15, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    49% think abortion is morally unacceptable while only 15% think it is morally acceptable. So this is why the left insists on people not imposing their morals on others even though imposing morals is used for supporting too many laws to count outside of abortion.

And I love the argument that pro-lifers take the religious position when the mystics of old argued that a human being does not always equal a person.

Our abortions laws are among the most liberal on the planet, at least in terms of enforcement, yet public opinion is so against it. Media brainwashing at its finest. Hitler would be envious.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/08/15/abortion-viewed-in-moral-terms/
  2. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    I'd almost take universal health care from the European model just to also get their abortion laws. Especially Germany (where a woman has to undergo counseling).
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,000
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,361
    Yup. I think it is morally repulsive and still think it should be legal with very few restrictions / prerequisites until the point of near certain extra-utero viability.

It's the difference between "I wouldn't have one" and "no one should have one".
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    I take a similar position to yours (wouldn't do it but am not in favor of a total restriction) though I think the threshold should be lower. I'd be inclined to say something lower than 50% but definitely nothing higher. I think that a definite threshold has been hit when your health isn't in danger, you've had months to decide, and it's to the point the fetus has a 50-50 chance outside the womb.
  6. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    So 51% think having an abortion is either morally acceptable, not a moral issue, didn't answer, or depends on the circumstances.
  7. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I may be conservative, but I am also very pro-choice. I don't understand why pro-life people are so against other people having abortions when they don't want these kids. If they don't want them, I certainly don't either.

Could you imagine what this country would look like with scores of millions more unwanted children? It's self-imposed eugenics.

Are you worried about forced abortions? That would be China (and we're heading that way).
  8. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    What's the saying-you can't legislate morality. (although it's done all the time in the land of the free). You can't impose godly morals on godless people. Sadly-this is what we have become.
  9. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Don't many states prohibit late term abortions (defined after 24 weeks)
  10. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +469
    The IRS certainly excels at promoting its so-called morals.

CORRUPTION RULES!!!!!
  11. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
  12. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Most people don't even know what "most cases" means because the overpaid fat white people that dominate the liberal media NEVER cover abortion outside of campaign season as a rule.

I've seen a could of polls that accurately described what "most cases" really means (rape, incest, life of mother etc.). At least one poll showed that 70+% of people opposed well over 90% of abortions.

Nice try, but Pew is, like most, horrible at researching this issue on that level at least.
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,000
    You realize we both quoted pew right? I used that one specifically for that reason. After that I kind of got lost in all of the deflections in there :)
  14. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +469
    I used Pew for the morality issue, not the legal issue. Since most people don't even know what Roe, let alone Doe (its sister case in 1973), did, abortion polls on legalization are often flawed. Heck, even most pollster don't appear to know about Doe based on their stupid poll questions.

I also found it humorous that women are slightly more opposed to abortion on moral grounds than men. Gee, I wonder why.
  15. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,920
    Stop with the self contradiction. :)

If you can't accept the pollsters know what they are doing, then you can't claim that women are more morally opposed since the data for which you are making that claim is really flawed and untrustworthy...as you suggest.
  16. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    See candy post #8.
  17. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +469
    JD

O.K. smarty. Tell me what % of people know that well over 90% of abortions are for convenience. Then tell me what percentage of people have heard of the Doe case.

Oh, this oughta be good.

Polls on abortions are about as contradictory as they come. I've talked to more people about abortion than many a pollster.

I've seen other polls which show the strongest supporters of abortion are young men. Why? Because its used as birth control. Who wants responsibility?

Van,

There are lots of people who want the kids. Our government is very much anti-adoption.
  18. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +862
    The "liberal" media doesn't cover abortion because it's not that interesting a topic except to the few who make it their life to worry about it one way or the other.
  19. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,920
    lol, jersey. How do you trust that any percent is valid if you can't trust the tools that are used to produce these numbers? This was my original point.

Personally, I don't know what the true number is for convenience. I support trying to get that number down without using moralistic arguments since they tend to just be bludgeons used indiscriminately to bash women who might be facing such difficult circumstances, and also while keeping it legal.
  20. reformedgator

reformedgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Isn't that like saying that I'm adamantly opposed to torturing my child but others should have the right to do so if they choose? After all, I don't to impose my morality on others.