Inside the minds of UF current recruiting state

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ali_gater, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ali_gater

ali_gater New Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Well its been well documented on UF commits wavering/leaving (Cook, Lane, Jackson), committing (Sousa, Willis, Sharpe), interested (Jackson, Carter) and newly offered (Jones, Mckenzie) but lets get inside the mind of the coaches and recruits per inside info. Its no insider info that 4-8 kills recruiting my Gator faithful, most these kids are instrumental parts of their teams success since they were 5 yrs old and selling on early playing time for a program with major coaching uncertainties and recent history of mediocrity is difficult for even the most talented recruiting coaches.
    What happened with Cook:
    The polarizing personality and talent phenom was on record of being the hardest UF recruiter at the opening and throughout the summer, Cook spoke and recruits listened (unfortunately they still do). After the loss to GSU and then FSU, FSU coaches put the full court press on reports of them using look at our program vs UF pitch took a back seat to “I’ll tell you what UF is selling you”, they informed him you’ll hear “come and change the program” “we’re almost ready to hire off coor” “loyalty and respect”, they asked Cook does that sound familiar? They began to shoot holes in the UF pitch about all these points and asked him “where is their loyalty and commitment to you?” “you have recruited more talent this year than them” all for empty promises and more uncertainty. They proceeded to inform him the decision was easy and with his EE he would be on the sidelines at the NC instead of limbo at UF. Some may remember him using his connection with coaches and the term loyalty in his decision. Not condone how he handled by any means just giving the information that is justly do to GatorNation, cannot reveal source so that I can continue to inform anytime they have information, in this day and age credibility is paramount so feel free not to validate my info if chooses.
    Cook will use these same tatics with Lane, Jackson, Jackson.
    Now for this kids not in this SoFla web, Muschamp and staff have been preaching a fresh energy in Gainesville with the hire of Roper, Roper has begun his recruiting trail with talents such as Jeff Jones, Derrell Scott and McKenzie and will also sell the aforementioned wavers-early reports (not confirmed) say that he's using his scheme concepts (Duke) with their talent level compared to what he had at Duke. We have to except some facts, we are late in the game with current offered recruits, no relationship with families, and some feel as if they are second rate on UF wish list, but that’s what our coaches get paid what they do. Mckenzie (if/once eligible) wants ND badly but sees he needs a contingency plan, Scott is very strong to Oregon but will hear the home state coaches and Jeff Jones is very intrigued by a bigger program, has chip on his shoulder because of pre UA perception (which is good for who he signs with) but we weren’t the only ones that notice these and bigger schools are knocking.
    Agree or skeptical had to do my part as a proud Gator fan and these forums make Gator Nation great! Until next time!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Norcaligator

Norcaligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    No doubt FSU was in Cook's ear, and our poor season surely didn't help anything. If that's all it took to sway Cook, then his wasn't much of a commitment to begin with. From what I've read, we showed him loyalty and commitment. He changed his mind a couple of months ago notwithstanding. I expect Cook will make his pitch to other recruits, as will our coaches (including Coach Roper). They'll have to make their own decision - hope its the right one for them and for us.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    Kid is toxic.

As is generally, the recruiting process.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. jailer

jailer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Cook is a leper based upon his outlandishly trashy and classless behavior at the Underarm. To Gator Chomp at every photo opportunity when he knew he was a Nole demonstrates a character flaw with a depth exceeding Pandora's Box. Even the normally joyous commentators when adversity strikes UF, intentionally marginalized the classless acts of this noxious personality. Good riddance to him and any other classless troll whose poor use of their '5' minutes will forever brand them characters with nefarious futures at best.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,059
    Terrell Owens thinks this kid is a diva...
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    Bottom line everybody loves a winner. There is no danger to go and be just another player on a team that is already loaded. True champions want the load and the spotlight and at the end of the day cook just does nt have that kind of heart.
  7. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    He'll never be as great as he thinks he is. With his lack of chaacter and deception he'll be a bust because he lacks stick committment.
  8. Percy4Prez

Percy4Prez Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    As much as what Cook did was like a heart in the dagger, understand that FSU coaches likely encouraged him to troll us, and this embarrassment should be a lesson to the coaching staff of what can happen in recruiting. Learn from your mistake, and move on.
  9. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    No offense intended OP, but it was very hard to read what you meant in your post.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    Cook is the only guy to change his mind and kicks sand in superman's face.

Who gives a rats behind about losing him. The season won't be cancelled because of him

Losing one clown doesn't stop the circus.
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,064
    If you were recruiting Cook wouldn't you have shown him film of our offense and what kind of passer Driskel is? Then you look at what a mess our offense has been generally and tell a kid they probably need two seasons to get it on track and that's with the same starting QB, which we won't have because presumably we transition from Driskel 14 to Grier 15. A player like Cook or Lane realize by that time, even if Winston has left they will be looking to go to the NFL anyway(at least that's their plan). So imo it wouldn't even take negative recruiting to get them to switch.

I don't understand the trolling and what appears to be intentionally misleading the staff. But it's on the staff. They should be better at reading recruits by now. If I had to bet I would say the staff knew, they just didn't want to admit it.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    That seems to be the most likely explanation. I cannot imagine that our staff is that naive to be ignorant of being played like this.

If it was up to me, I wouldn't have let this this embarrassing game go on.
  13. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412
    If the staff had any idea that this was happening they should have cut bait along time ago. I would say the same about J.C., and Lane as well. But it's yet to be seen what the latter two chuckle heads are going to do.
  14. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    They're kids. Let's not be too harsh on them.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    A kid changing is mind and flipping is him being a bid.

A kid trolling UF, posting pictures of himself Gator chomping all week, saying that "loyalty" is very important to him and he's committed to UF, then the next day saying he knew 2 months ago he wanted to go to FSU, is another story.