Injury help, please!

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by jeffh11, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ravishing

ravishing VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Where do you live?
  2. ravishing

ravishing VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Oh sorry, I see Tennessee. It sounds like patellofemoral syndrome. Google it. Focus on strengthening your VMO for patellar stabilzation. If your symptoms continue, get an MRI done to rule out a meniscal tear.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,420
    I'm not convinced that the conventional wisdom for PFPS holds. VMO exercises only exacerbate the pain for me and others. Moreover, VMO atrophy may stem from the VMO actually shutting down to protect the knee.

The vogue theory is that PFPS stems from glute instability. No longer sure about that either.
  4. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    First of all, you should probably see a doctor if the pain is chronic and consistent...

How is your running form? Are you a heel-striker? If so, maybe you would benefit from POSE running techniques...maybe a running clinic.

Otherwise, you could maybe benefit from some mobility/PT exercises. Check out MobilityWOD.com and/or do some youtube searches for Kelly Starrett and knee pain.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Are you a supple leopard?

Most of the mobility wod stuff requires a subscription now. Not sure its worth it for most folks.
  6. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Walk it off
  7. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    He seems pretty shrewd. He used the crack dealer method really well. There's still a lot of free content on his site, and still plenty of youtube vids.
  8. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    Have you ever watched a turtle race, you can time it with a sundial....:no:
  9. Jyork

Jyork Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    If I remember you posted this same ? About 8ps ago. I said then and still think you need to see someone and have an X-ray/MRI, probably both. If you stopped all activities for 6 months and still have this much pain get it looked at. While It may be nothing serious, at least once a year I see some serious problems in people who thought it was nothing for the last year. Not trying to scare you but pain for 6 months is not normal.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Yeah, I have watched a bunch of his stuff but was upset to see a lot of his videos require that subscription. I also like how he sells those voodoo floss bands when you could easily make one yourself for 5 bucks by cutting up an inner tube for a bike tire.
  11. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,420
    Stretching is overrated. I feel better when I don't do it and instead just get some regular squatting and deadlifting in. You will not be predisposed to injury if you fail to do mobility drills.
  12. Chirogator

Chirogator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Mobility work has to be put into context. If you already have the proper mobility then squatting and other quality movements will help you to maintain it and keep you free from injury. BUT, if you don't (and most people do not now a days due to excessive sitting and poor exercise selection), I will emphatically say that doing the proper mobility work is crucial to moving well and preventing or rehabbing injuries. Forums like this are great for introducing concepts, but you definitely need the guidance of someone who knows what they are doing to restore mobility, get you moving better, and keeping you free from injury.