Injuries/attrition are not an excuse

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by fsunole101, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,780
  2. clt_gator

clt_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Injuries are not an excuse, but when literally HALF of your projected starters are out, um, maybe it IS an excuse.
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    What kind of moron would count players that left for the NFL or graduated LAST YEAR, and off season transfers, as if they were players the coaches were counting on this year? I can answer that question. Only a Nole Troll. I mean, I hope Jimbo isn't so stupid that he spent all Summer and Spring game planning around EJ Manual, only to learn on opening day that he was suddenly lost to the NFL.
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    Injuries of this magnitude are not excuses. They are REASONS.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Not to nitpick, but Jeff was only chosen as a starter under one coordinator: Pease.

He was #2 under Weis and took over after Brantley's injury, but Brissett started against LSU and against Auburn.
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,423
    Agreed! I like murph. I think he has shown a lot of moxy, and even think the coaches should set him loose and run more. Although he shows much better pocket presence than driskel there were many throws that were behind the receiver or very low and in the dirt on passes to the flats. I remember the one pass to Dunbar who was streaking across the middle and had the throw led Dunbar it would have been the 1st down we needed and more. He seems to be a little late and short arming some throws. Of course with that line I can't blame him but that makes me wonder if our shaky line made driskel a little gun shy, but he can definitely throw the ball as good as any.
    I can see good in both and each has what the other needs, with that being said let's get grier signed and get some more weight on him. The guy has great anticipation of his throws which makes him very accurate, and throws and pretty ball, coaches son and has great mechanics. Dude can scoot too. He's a little light right now but if he adds about 15 to 20 lbs I can see him stepping in next year if needed. He would be young but I believe he could succeed his 1st year in a more game manager role with a strong run game w/ taylor, cook and lane (remember him) and a good defense with improved lb's
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I am a big fan of Grier but as of right now I think he needs a year to learn. I could be wrong I have been wrong before. Not a lot of true freshmen QB's winning a bunch of games in the SEC. There are a lot of things Grier hasnt seen. I also thinks he lets his mechanics get sloppy at times because of the competition he is playing against.
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,423
    No what AZ was saying is a back up coming in and lighting it up is more of a exception than a rule. Sometimes you have a Danny Kanel behind your #1 and sometimes u have 2* like murphy.
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,423
    I agree, and he seems to as well. That alone shows his maturity. We will have both driskel and murph next year so grier would be a if needed case.

He does play some weaker competition but as the age old saying goes " you can't defend a perfect pass" . Of course that's not to say he's perfect but he's athletic and can really run but I'm most impressed with his accuracy, always seems to hit them in stride, that alone is the difference from a 6 yard pass to a 26 yard pass most times.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They dont show int's on highlight tapes.:wink: The speed of the game is way different. I am a big fan but it is a big jump. He does have that "swag" that Jeff doesn't have. But Jeff is very accurate with the football.
  11. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Jeff will be the starter for 2 more years
  12. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +601
    Not a chance. He won't start next year....Grier will.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    As a true frosh? He would have to be extraordinary. Even Tebow couldn't start as a true freshman, but then again, Leak wasn't Driskel or Murphy, either...
  14. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    With a better offensive line, Driskel is better than Leak. I know, blasphemy
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,423
    I agree! He needs to be red shirted, and he thinks so as well. I still have faith in driskel. I keep pointing to the Miami game as a positive, take a away the turnovers which can be attributed to poor oline play and timing/communication with his receivers due to missing all of preseason b/c of apendix.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    ROTFLMAO!!! Leak was probably a better quarterback as a high school senior in Charlotte Independence High. Don't confuse superior physical skills with the cerebral skills it takes to play quarterback. Driskel has more physical talent than Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel as well...

And Leak had some poor offensive lines in front of him as well, particularly in 2005.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Man no way.
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,423
    I don't think he starts next year, but if somehow he was thrust into action, I don't see him having to do much except hit a couple of play action and be smart with the ball. As is, we are looking at a RB group of K. Taylor, M. Jones, Adam lane, and THE Dalvin Cook. Pretty scary stable of backs. With them you have a combo of big, tall, fast, and raw.
  19. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    And Mack Brown
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Leak was a really damn good QB doubt Driskel will ever reach Leak status as college QB. As a pro prospect Driskel is better.