Indiana schools throwing away food

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by newkastle, Jul 12, 2013.

1. newkastle

newkastle Professional Lurker Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Here is an article I stumbled upon:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/11/indiana-school-district-loses-300k-because-student/

The basic story is that the schools started providing healthier lunch options but the kids are rejecting those healthy choices resulting in an increase in the amount of food being thrown away.

I'm curious what people's opinion on this is. We obviously have an obesity problem in this country, so I understand Michelle's motivation for trying to address the issue. But, what do we do when the kids are rejecting the healthy choices provided to them? You can't really force feed the students.

I guess I would like to know if this increased waste problem also exists in less affluent areas where the students can't get in their BMW and drive across the street to Panera/McDonalds. If the "healthy choice" was the only option available (other than going hungry), is it still thrown away?
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    I think part of the problem is that they're not making the so-called healthy options taste good. They're trying to keep costs down, I'm sure, plus cutting portions, so you get kids that are basically offered a lunch that tastes like cardboard and a bottle of water.

I'm just guessing - my daughter's district has some seriously good lunches. A vegan option, 2 standard options, and a special. One time the special was roast chicken, cheesy mashed potatoes, a side salad and a small fruit parfait. They offer burgers on whole grain buns, etc - it's actually appetizing. But I've spoken to other parents whose kids go to Buffalo schools and it's a disaster with those lunches.
  3. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    Another issue: in some cases, to space the classes out, you've got kids starting lunch before 11 am. Kid might not be hungry at that time, so they toss the lunch. Then they're REALLY hungry later in the day. And where before you might be able to have a small snack in your purse or book bag, now you can't bring anything because someone 10 rooms down might have an allergy of some kind and the school doesn't want to get sued.

Kids need to eat throughout the day and it can be done in a healthy way, which would help out with the concentration levels big time.
  4. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +834
    Horse, meet water.
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    You WILL eat our healthy lunches and you will LIKE them!

Ice makes some strong points: if you're going to offer healthy fresh fruits & vegetables it's going to cost more than processed food. So, what do you spend the money on - books, new football uniforms, an extra teacher or better quality food? Answer: hire two more people in administration to study the problem and present it to a committee.

Man, that's good, I think I'm management material.
  6. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    Easy solution. No more lunch from the school. Pack your own kid's lunch and stop relying on someone else to do the work. Terminate the food staff, and bump up teacher salary to recruit better teachers. Win-Win!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    Well as a parent I'd love to do that, and I kind of resent the implication that parents are just letting the school do the work for them out of laziness.

Unfortunately, the schools don't allow parents to pack lunches in a lot of cases anymore because of allergens, because some parents pack lunches full of junk food which is fine once in a while, but now the schools have a mandate on "healthy" eating. And on top of that, it's a public school, which means that there are kids there whose families are on food stamps and that crappy lunch may be their best meal of the day.

Another option would be to have districts go back to actual teaching and stop relying so heavily on iPads, etc - my daughter's middle school has a new iPad for EVERY SINGLE student. Not per class - EVERY student. This is along with the new Nook rental program and the multiple fully-equipped iMac computer labs - which they are getting new computers for according to the parent newsletter. Now not all districts can afford this, and there are those in poorer communities that try to match that and use money that could be used towards the food, and yes teacher salaries.