Indian rocks beach?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by runswithbulls, Aug 1, 2014.

1. runswithbulls

runswithbulls VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    I live in gainesville, but my mom lives in Illinois still and is looking to buy a 2 bedroom house/ condo in the indian rocks beach area. She wants to do the snowbird thing and be closer to her grand kids. I was curious if anyone can tell me about the area and what the beaches and community there is like. I've been to clearwater beach many times, but haven't been down in this area. Thanks all
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    Love IRB. Just south of Clearwater. Not a lot of tacky tourist stuff like on Treasure Island and St Pete Beach.

IRB has a number of condos (limited to five stories), cottages and houses.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. runswithbulls

runswithbulls VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    Seems perfect for what we are looking for. We have a realtor that has sent us info for several options.
  4. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    I lived there for about three years in a building called Pier House (420 Gulf Blvd.). Loved every minute of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    I lived down there as well, we had a 2x2 condo on the intercoastal side but you could also see the Gulf from the front of the condo, sorry I don't remember the name. It was a looong time ago. I think it would be perfect for her.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    I was there a couple months back. The water isn't as clear as south of Tampa Bay but the beach is nice, better than average shelling and it isn't packed at least when I was there.. Has that small beach town feel that is hard to get in Florida. You can look toward Clearwater and you see condo towers which is fine if you like that. Or turn away from them and end up in a small beach town.

Close to the same shopping as the towers, with an Ace hardware that is huge. So it was pretty good even for a visitor.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,016
    I happen to think Anna Maria Island is a better place-or even Long boat key
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    Longboat is fine now and if you want to visit, this is the time. May and October are the slowest. In October however, a lot of the dining closes for vacation and getting ready for season.

Expect traffic jams all winter. It may take an hour or more to do three miles with the full house and drawbridges to get off the islands around 5 in the afternoon.

Anna Maria has over a 99% rental rate in season and prices triple. It is a very cool place and why people are flocking there. They have a free shuttle bus that will take you from one end of the island to the other. They just replaced the sand this spring, so that is nice also.

Lido is very nice and is close to St. Armands for shopping. Hard to beat the beaches in the area. But in this area, Siesta is still king.

The ones further south may be even cooler with Casey Key and Manasota Key being two of them.
  9. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Wife and I lived in a 3 bed, 2 bath on IRB, exactly 1 mile north of Long Pier, near the Seabird Sanctuary, last year. Loved it. We moved away to be closer to family. Best beach around. Quiet. Not too many tourists and those that are there are quiet, family, beach oriented. There is zero traffic on or around IRB, any time of the year. I always took Park Blvd. to and from, my wife always took Bay Pines Blvd (Madeira Beach). Never once had traffic and only occasionally had to wait 5 minutes for one of the bridges. Nice restaurants north and south. I caught dozens of keeper mackerel from my kayak and jumped 3 tarpon (got one to the boat for a release). Also caught quite a few small sharks but never saw one while on the beach or while swimming. Skimmers (birds) nest on IRB. Our favorite part of our year there was sitting out on our balcony at sunset (get an open-air balcony, not a screened in balcony).
  10. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Now, that said, while I love IRB, I really do not care for Clearwater Beach. Too commercial, way too loud and gross traffic. IRB and CB are pretty close to one another but as different as night and day.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. runswithbulls

runswithbulls VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    I visited IRB with my family yesterday and love it there. Perfect for my mom and for my wife and kids to use when she isn't there. Lovely area that is quite. Clearwater beach is so touristy it can be nice to visit , but I like IRB I think for a vacation/snowbird home for my mom. I'm excited for our options.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    The drawbridges are becoming a thing of the past. Clearwater Pass and Bellaire are now fixed spanned bridges
    • Like Like x 1