Indian giver offers

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by subtle_gator, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    The term Indian Giver wasn't considered a slur against Indians, rather the person taking it back. Going back to earlier days, when an Indian gave you something, they expected something in return. THEY were bartering, Europeans thought they were giving. Just a cultural misunderstanding if you will.

Somehow, that has turned into a slur against Indians, like it was their fault for the misunderstanding.

I always thought it was directed toward the white man, by giving the Indians land, then finding out it was full of gold, oil, coal, etc., and then taking it back and moving the Indians to another area. Then repeat.

I think my version is better and more fitting and accurate.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    There are offers and there are committable offers. A kid cannot commit unless they have a committable offer. Those are only given out to the guys at the very top of the board that the coaches will accept at any time. The 5 star kids may have 20-30 committable offers from different schools.

What most kids get is a conditional offer in that the school will take them only if some guys ahead of them fall through. Once guys ahead of that kid commit elsewhere, they might get a committable offer.

It's pretty well understood in most cases where the recruits stand, but there have been some very awkward instances when a kid made a public commitment announcement, only to find out that the coaching staff wasn't ready to accept their commitment because they didn't have a committable offer. I think that happened last year at UF.

Even committable offers are conditional. For example, the coaching staff may decide it wants to take 2 RBs and give 4 committable offers and it's first come, first serve. The guys who don't commit on time loses their committable offer.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Yeah, Machen directive I believe.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    Something I can actually appreciate from the man... that's good.
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    Oaktown's explanation was good.

By the way, the term "Indian Giver" is a classic example of the rampant discrimination that permeates American Culture. In fact, those who took back what they gave, or gave fake things, usually were the White Eyes, not the Indigenous Americans. Using such a term may have been OK around 1900, but today, it is much like a so-called white person saying "Nigger."
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    One can learn many things from this thread.....so educational :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Thank you oak. I was also reading the "adoree jackson" thread she posted. It was old article but damn did she get a "welcome aboard". I don't see the big deal of the question as many on here really don't understand the difference between "committable" and non-committable" offers, like you said someone new to recruiting or football especially women (not all) may not know the nuances of the practice.

Not sure why some think she is a nole troll, haven't seen anything negative from her just either uninformed or late on her info. :)

Keep on posting subtle_gator it's gets better.

Bit of advise: stay far away from the coaching debate threads with your uncanny ability to draw negative reviews. Those waters get a little rough.:)
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Yeah, She would get her nole card reDoaked:p
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,251
    Happens every year. Every year we give out like 300 offers, but we only take 20-33 kids.

Let's say we offer Kelvin Taylor and John Smith (3 star) for RB. 3star accepts the offer right away. Kelvin Taylor holds off, but 3 months later, accepts the offer. John Smith realizes, he will have limited playing time at RB. John Smith decommits. Happens every year.