income equality

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    I am not sure I completely understand what you are saying here, maybe except for your last sentence where you appear to be saying that those with the most responsibility deserve to be compensated for having so much responsibility?

Perhaps job facilitator is a better term? In either event, it appears they are necessary, those evil rich folks.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,730
    I work hard. I pay taxes as well as property taxes on what I own. That property tax, in turn, goes to pay for the schools we have. I have no children in school but I don't feel like I am being punished.

Still this is not what I am addressing. There is no doubt certain people feel entitled to things they have not earned. The thrust of my posts are that there is nothing wrong with expecting an improved lifestyle if we work hard and smart. Without the jobs though this can be a hollow dream and for many people in our history that is exactly what it was.
  3. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Surprised no one has presented this. When I read this article this morning, I was waiting for Row or river to present it. And like the fellow in the youtube, I just knew they would decry it as terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0TtkJwCWhQ

He would rather the poor be poorer, provided the rich made less
  4. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    I am not an anarchist but certainly very libertarian/conservative. I certainly think the federal government should have a very minimal role in education as it should be handled by the states and local districts IMO. I certainly would seek out a district that fit my values if I could and that were the case.
  6. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    • Like Like x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    No doubt. Never disagreed. But cutting a check to someone just for having a kid affects one with no kids expectations. We can play the game of education which could be argued both ways. But if you cut to the reality of the situation I think you will find that most find value in supporting education as they were educated at one time. Giving someone $1K just because they have a kid is a completely different scenario.

It is great you own property. It is a choice we have made as well and also get to pay tangible taxes on equipment. Thankfully my daughter got into the magnate program for one of the best elementary schools in the state but when middle school gets here it will be all those taxes and private school most likely (which it would have been had she not gotten in). It is too bad the DOE has overstepped it's bounds and the local districts do not have more power...
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Those are some great videos!
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    She was truly an underrated statesman/woman.

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    Its not all that different. You get the $ while you have dependent children (i.e. under 18), since children do age, these people move from getting checks to paying into the system to cover other kids. So, many people do end up "giving back" (kinda like education). When the kids become adults, more of your income becomes taxable since you no longer have dependents (so, you become like the single person with no kids), and more than likely, you are making more money at an older working age too, so you might even be in a higher tax bracket.
  11. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    God I love this video. Every time I see it, I end up watching 2 or 3 times.

It's too bad the Right (or the Libertarians) don't have any statesmen of her caliber around today.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    It is quite different for someone like my brother in-law who most likely will never have kids. Or any other person who will never have kids.