In other news: Steve Spurrier banned reporter and now newspaper takes it further

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rawpimple, Sep 12, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I don't think it implies this in the least.
  2. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Really? Saying, "Spurrier began exploring the possibility of Ellington joining his team" doesn't imply that Spurrier...began exploring...the possibility of Ellington joining his team? Not in the least, you say?

How about the title of his column, "Spurrier tops Horn in tug-of-war for Ellington"? Tug-of-war? That doesn't imply that Spurrier was pulling on Ellington? Not in the least?
  3. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I agree with everything you've said. No football coach should have any influence over which reporter covers the program. And good newspapers don't let that happen. Unfortunately the publisher of the Columbia paper appears to have all the spine of a worm so he not only let SOS influence who was "fired" but also who was hired.

But in fairness, I think this is the part that SOS claimed was untrue:

"The way Steve Spurrier has courted him since the end of the football season makes you believe he is capable of playing that sport at a high level as well."

Spurrier maintains that he didn't "court" the player to play football I think.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,119
    I guess it all depends on the meaning of the word "court." Sounds speculative -- like most Op-Ed columns...
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    Columnists make up stuff all the time and engage in "opinion pieces" "discussing" "stories" that are, oftentimes, complete rumors and conjecture.

Last I checked, guys finebaum and bianchi throw sh*t against the wall to see what sticks and both are gainfully employed.
  6. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Wow, I didn't even catch that quote in the column when I read it.

"The way Steve Spurrier has courted him since the end of the football season makes you believe he is capable of playing that sport at a high level as well."

So Morris didn't only imply the mere fact that Spurrier recruited Ellington; he made a qualitative comment about "the way" Spurrier went about it.

Morris's comment about "the way Steve Spurrer has courted him" is clearly meant to indicate that Spurrier aggressively pursued Ellington.

So once again: Spurrier's justifiable anger is not about Morris's opinion that Ellington playing football is a bad idea. He is angry about Morris's false allegation that Ellington playing football was Spurrier's idea.
  7. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Reporters asked Spurrier what he thought of the fight. He hadn't seen or heard about it and asked who it was. When told it was two of his defensive coaches he shrugged and said, "Well, at least they care." :laugh:

[​IMG]
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That isn't what you said. You said "lured away."
  9. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    :roll:

You're running out of gas. What I said was:

...and it does imply exactly that.

As does, even more so, the other comment by Morris about, "the way Steve Spurrier has courted [Ellington] since the end of the football season."

Spurrier denies doing any courting or exploring or engaging with a tug-of-war with Coach Horn over Ellington. You accused Spurrier of waging a vendetta against Morris because of his opinions but in this instance, at least, the issue was his false allegations of fact.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Come on. You totally changed your language.

It says very specifically that he was recruited with the knowledge he'd be allowed to pursue football. Courting him to play football is very different than LURING HIM AWAY from basketball.
  11. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    What do you mean, I totally changed my language? You took two words out of context from my earlier post so I more fully re-quoted myself. How is that changing my language?

Let's not get lost in semantics. The point is, you've been arguing that Spurrier was out of line for essentially blacklisting a reporter merely for expressing an opinion that Spurrier didn't like. You denied that there was any issue with the reporter lying. We've since established that from Spurrier's point of view, at least, you are mistaken.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Wow, really?

Your first:

Your second:

No, "we" haven't. You've made inferences about non-factual statements.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    In other words, "explore" does not mean "lured away" unless you really want to read it that way.
  14. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I'm with you on this obob. The reporter did nothing wrong but Spurrier didn't like it so destroyed the guy's career.
  15. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    My point was that you don't have to read anything into Morris's sentence to get my paraphrased meaning out of it. His sentence doesn't really "imply" anything so much as it says exactly what it says: That Spurrier is the one who supposedly "began exploring the possibility" of Ellington joining the football team, as opposed to Ellington deciding to pursue it on his own. Spurrier took offense to that notion, and rightfully so.

Regardless of whether Ellington was told during his basketball recruitment that he could try out for the football team, he was recruited to South Carolina to play basketball. Spurrer would not interfere with that in any way. He doesn't operate that way. He obviously resents the implication that he sidled up next to Ellington in the hallway at school and said, "Hey son, why don't you come see me about playing some real ball," like some desperate high school coach trying to poach a tall kid off the hoops squad to fill a spot at DE.
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878

That's precisely what you did. If you're telling me there's no difference between courting him (again, he was open to play football) and "luring him away," then you're clearly just reading what you want to read.
  17. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,119
    Gee, Lincoln, you seem passionate about this...:wink:
  19. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26

Again, what I wrote was, "the phrase, 'when Spurrier began exploring the possibility' implies that Spurrier lured Ellington away, or in some way initiated the process of him joining the football team."

If you don't like the term "lured Ellington away," then you are welcome to choose the "or" option, that Spurrier "in some way initiated the process" of Ellington joining the football team.

The point is that Morris wrote a column that made it look like Spurrier reached out to Ellington and recruited him to play football, possibly even over the objection of the hoops coach. He titled his column, "Spurrier tops Horn in tug-of-war for Ellington." The term "tug-of-war" does not imply two coaches behaving professionally and working together in the best interests of a player.

So Spurrier took offense to what he regarded as a false accusation, not merely a negative opinion. Let's see a show of hands from posters other than OBOB who don't think we've established that at this point.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    He specifically says the opposite - that he was recruited with the understanding that he could play football, too.