In other news: Steve Spurrier banned reporter and now newspaper takes it further

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rawpimple, Sep 12, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    :whoa:

I'm hoping you're just arguing to keep up your chops.
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Agreed. This is Spurrier being a douche. He has how many years in the industry and an opinion piece is the straw that breaks the camel's back?
  3. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    As someone who spent 20 years as a journalist, your statement is BS.
  4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    If Morris just stated an opinion, then what could he have said that was untrue, since opinions are subjective not objective and don't have to be backed up by facts, just like most of the comments on this site. Spurrier also had an issue with Jerry Guest of the Sentinel while he was at UF. I don't remeber what that was all about, though.
  5. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Spurrier has been doing stuff like this for ages. He can dish it out better than anyone I've ever seen but he can't take even the slightest criticism without going gorilla cookies.

The last time I checked we live in a country of free press and for USC and the paper to stand idly by and allow this says a lot about how desperate they are and how Spurrier has them by the preverbial balls.

And incidentally, although it was a eerily similar situation that led to him leaving Florida and USC knew that. When the university didn't support Spurrier in the whole Ernest Graham/Darnell Dockett affair and instead told him to sit down and shut up, he suddenly up and left "the best job in the world"

So if you take your orange and blue glasses off its pretty easy to see that Spurrier is acting like a 3 years old not getting his way and everyone around him enables that behavior.

That said, he's still by far the greatest coach in UF history IMO and his 12 years were the most fun our program has ever experienced.
  6. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    I seem to recall Muschamp going off about a rumor spread about suspended players after our first game.
    He wasn't very diplomatic about it either.
    He threatened to ban the people who put the misinformation out there.

In regards to Spurrier, he had past ruins with the guy. Not saying he was right but to point at the one occasion misses the mark.
    Also if the guy had any backbone assuming he was right he shoul quit the paper after they silenced him
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    The problem is Morris isn't the poster boy for journalistic ethics.. He's lied before, he'll lie again. He compared Spurrier at USCar to Paterno at Penn State, and then said he was misinterpreted when he begged off the statement. He and Spurrier have been going at it from almost the time that Spurrier's been there, and Morris always gets top win because he has the paper on his side.

All Spurrier said -- he didn't get him fired, didn't get him taken off the beat -- was a) if I had known this guy was going to spend a decade lying about me and coming after me, I would have waited for the UNC job to open (wish he had) b) if this is going to continue to be the way things are done, I might just go to the beach and c) I'm not going to speak in a media room where he is.

He doesn't have the power to fire or reassign Morris. If The State chooses to do that -- for whatever their reasons may be -- that's on them, not him.

I think it's a consistent move by Spurrier. I remember when he was just starting at Florida, he had an annual dinner for sportswriters and coaches at his house (drunken SOS in explaining the Notre Dame loss to a female student sportswriter, that it was like her and her boyfriend and they "can't do it all at once" is one of my favorite memories) and he'd occasionally hold court at PJ O'Reilly's. He thought -- like many posters here seem to think every time a sportswriter says anything derogatory about the team or the program (there was, and is, plenty of support for Meyer yelling at Jeremy Fowler) -- that everyone was in it together. He gave access (and he gave lots and lots and lots of access) and the hack corps looked out for the program. There was one time where (I wasn't there, but I heard) when he asked the hacks to turn off their recorders and he just tried to have a conversation about that fact with them.

I think he should have just turned the other cheek about Morris, but I can understand him not doing so. Morris -- like Guest before him -- has an agenda, and then agenda is that Spurrier is an ass. Steve's got enough clout to not have to put up with it. I think we all would think the better course of action when dealing with columnists is to ignore them, but when YOU are the one they are saying things about, that's a lot harder than it sounds.
  8. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    Aside from Larry Guest -- which, in all likelihood, was either about a book Guest wrote about him or that Guest lied in golf -- you have no evidence of this. It's just not true that he's gone after reporters at any time, and has been one of the most accommodating coaches int eh country when it comes to dealign with the media. People have gone after him for 20 some odd years now, and the most he usually does is remind them of what they said when they are wrong.

We do live in a country of free press. There are two caveats to that -- one, all a free press means is that the government can't prosecute you for what you print. it doesn't mean that any reporter has the right to say whatever they want about any public figure they want with repercussions. The second part of it is that the press has to tell the truth. Morris doesn't, and that's where the problem begins.
  9. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    You're missing the point. There's a reason I used the Graham/Dockett example. His inability to deal with people who disagree with him hasn't been just with reporters, he does it with everybody and has for years.

My old next door neighbor from when I grew up knew him from his Tampa days and he used to tell me stories about things Spurrier would do to others even back in his days as Tampa Bay Bandits coach.

Don't kid yourself, he's an awesome football coach but also a world class jerk. When Steve Spurrier doesn't get his way he acts like a spoiled child.

And I'm saying this as someone who wishes he never left us.
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Ha, no, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I get that some folks are more protective of journalists than others and that there's a different perspective of what is acceptable and what is crossing the line. I actually don't have a specific opinion on that part of it here (i.e. whether or not what Morris wrote was appropriate/inappropriate).

The names you call Spurrier here as well as some other posters are not unlike what he's been called over the years...it's part of the package deal that is Spurrier. Sometimes his antics are entertaining, and sometimes they are not. Personally, I found the antics entertaining this time around. Others see this as a danger with regard to censorship, and that's fine, but I'm not at all worried about censored journalism as it pertains to sports media because (1) I think that interest would never let it get to that point for any sustainable time period, and (2) it's just not that important enough to worry about (to me at least) - the Penn State issue was *not* a sports problem, that was a child abuse problem.

All I was saying about Morris is that he didn't handle Spurrier's complaints very well himself (which is why I asked you what logical response you believe he offered to the situation). I believe I've already offered up an answer to what he should have done, but I'll be happy to clarify if you're interested.

Either way, it's all good. Anything that can serve as a possible distraction up there is a good thing (both from a GATOR football perspective, and from an entertainment perspective).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    I have also heard many stories about what a good guy he is.
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Thing is, though. He was 100% right about the Dockett situation (willful intent to harm one of his football players). I don't recall what action he expected to be taken, but I don't recall it being unreasonable.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I totally agree. I don't think it's ever about what he thinks just in how he handles the situations where people don't agree with what he thinks.
  14. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Of course. Nobody except maybe criminals are just completely bad people. What I'm saying is purely about how he handles people who disagree with him.
  15. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Sounds like SOS being SOS to me ... not that different from WM recently taking certain journalists to task for something or other ... Coaches have a bully pulpit to use when journalists cause them pain or otherwise make them mad ... comes with the territory.
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Seeing reports that Morris has been reinstated to cover USCe, for what that's worth ...
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Except that with WM it was actual factual errors. With this guy it was "negative guy."
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    What repercussions do you have in mind? Libel? Or the coach having a hissy fit and banning you from the clubhouse? If there is no demonstrable example of lying, he should remain on the job. Being a "negative guy" is insufficient grounds.

I just spit out my dinner reading this. Since WHEN does the media have an obligation to tell the truth? The history of American media is replete with examples of the press willfully lying to pursue their agenda. Walter Duranty, anyone?
  19. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I love these stories about I was the neighbor of a former assistant coach decades ago that are treated as gospel today. I wonder if that neighbor would have the same opinion today if he was working with SOS. My guess is no based simply on human nature and the short-term desire to grind an ax at all costs.

Reporters and ethics rarely go together.
  20. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +578

Seems like exactly what this guy was trying to do to Spurrier by printing lies and conjecture.
    • Like Like x 1