In Defense of Sugar

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
  2. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Wow.

should this be in health/fitness forum or too hot? ha-ha.

----

Was getting an error with the link... is this the correct story?

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/defence sugar/6142790/story.html

-------------------

If it is... Dr Laura Schmidt (second paragraph) is off her rocker...

"What we want is actually to increase people's choices by making foods that aren't loaded with sugar comparatively easier and cheaper to get."

Really? I had no idea that the "good foods" were so expensive BECAUSE the bad foods were so cheap. So, making the bad foods expensive lets the good foods become cheap? ....Or... both the bad and good foods are expensive. Hmm. Because you close the price difference between "cheap" and "expensive" foods doesn't mean that the expensive stuff costs less.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    Hey, thanks for the correction. I suppose my blood sugar was too low when I tried to post it. :wink:

And yes, the part you underscored is a little dicey. I say get the government out of the kitchen. Let people take responsibility for their health and eat the foods they enjoy.

Also, did you see where Aussies decreased their sugar intake 16%, between 1980 and 2003, and their obesity rates tripled in that same time!
  4. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Yeah, I saw that.

Seriously... I hate how it is everything else that is the problem. Sugar, gluten, fat of any kind, cholesterol, etc.

Another part of the article that I liked was in parentheses regarding fat people drinking less pop...

"perhaps Coke Zeros, if not zero Cokes"

LOL.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    But those who eat candy and chocolate are actually thinner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4237448...ndy-eaters-surprisingly-slimmer/#.Tzq-vFF2pX4

6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    Presumably, demonizing a food group is easier than taking responsibility.
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Aside from just overeating in general I'd be curious to see what obese people actually are consuming too much of. I mean a woman I work with eats like a whole pizza for lunch and is quite large, I don't really associate her as someone who eats too much sugar. Or another lady in my office brings in a lot of cakes for the office, that while yes have sugar, she is of the Paula Deen school of cooking and would bet the butter content of the cake is far worse than the sugar. Hell even what's left of my gut is mostly from eating to many fried foods and drinking too much beer.

People gain weight when they quit smoking, maybe we should stop letting them do that (or at least make it cost more).

Bay area scientists should stick to what they know, making steroids.
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,919
    I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but want to play devil's advocate to further my own understanding.

Doesn't sugar in fact do bad things to the body, particularly in high doses? I understand that one can be thin and eat sugar, but correlation does not equal causation. Aussie's cut sugar and tripled their obesity, but is there any data on their caloric intake over that period?

Doesn't it suppress immune systems, and increase triglyceride levels (cardio issues) - among other ills?

I agree that food groups are often escape goats (yes, on purpose) and I would wholeheartedly oppose any gov't regulation, but I just want to have an accurate idea of what is good to eat and at what levels.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Its really not that easy of a thing to say because I think its different for everyone. I have come to the conclusion though that there are not really good or bad foods. For example I just had bloodwork done and everything came back good meanwhile I eat a diet that includes candy, potato chips, chicken wings and steak and oils other than extra virgin. I also eat vegetables, lean meats and work out.

So, take that for what its worth. I watch how much I eat more than what and it seems to work for me.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    The Rippe Institute just concluded a study on sugar. It showed no atherogenic effects on blood lipids, even with FOUR times the RDA of HFCO and sucrose when on (here's the key) weight-stable diet.
  11. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    There is hysteria about sugar. But, I know it noticeably adversely affects me when I consume more than a small amount of it and especially if I consume high fructose corn syrup.

But, it should not be treated like a drug.

There is far too much of it in our foods, however, including a great number of foods that aren't "sweets" per se. I find it everywhere and I hate that it is so pervasive.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    It's pervasive because it's so yummy!
  13. luciaboy

luciaboy Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    most studies can be controlled to determine a specific outcome or analysis. anything from the bay area is not be trusted. soon they will say breathing air is bad for your health
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    Offhand, I'd say that's a generally good policy. :wink:
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    I can tell you that sugar makes me feel funny.

When I don't have it.
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,759
    sugar if released today would have a hard time receiving FDA approval. The type of withdrawal symptoms that occur when removed from the body are similar to other controlled substances.

Some of the more obvious ones are fatigue, depression, sleep irregularities, headaches and cravings that can lead to sugar binges
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,435
    Thanks for the heads-up on all the nasty side-effects when you quit sugar. All the more reason not to quit! :wink:
  18. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Everyone hates a quitter!
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
  20. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Interesting, but seems to me that what we want now is opposite what we wanted before. I am guessing that the craving gene would have been the dominant trait providing an advanced drive for more energy density and calorie density (energy = life). Now, that trait is the undesired trait. Would have to de-evolve, in a sense (if my first assumption is correct).

======

I don't think it is that complicated though. Sure, they may be right with the whole craving gene and what not, however, I veiw over eating and gorging more as an addiction (personal decision/accountability) more than a genetic trait (not "my fault"). Not to belittle what drug/alcohol addicts go through, as I have never experienced that in my life, but I think that food addiction is certainly up there in terms of difficulty to control. Drug and alcohol addicts get clean by removing themselves from that substance and the environment that substance is found in.. can't exactly do that with food.